Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #13741
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
+1 on the hylomar blue, so many uses for it, goes great on toast too!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #13742
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Carrizo Plain Nat'l Monument, CA
...and my new Tiger 800XC.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #13743
Old Way
MOTU

Oddometer: 62
Large Whind screen

Painted inside trim with Pactra RC250 rc car paint for lexan.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #13744
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
Usually it doesn't! But a project at work is going to hell right now and I had to work last weekend and this coming weekend isn't looking promising for time off. My poor thread is all the way on page two of day trippin cause I haven't even had the time to finish the rr from two weeks ago and then I still have to do my write up from my flat tire ride. Stupid work getting in the way of fun time.
Oh so you do have a job.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #13745
hecpilot
Dreaming of my trip...

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Okay, update: Got the bike over to the dealership, the mechanic looked at it in surprise and pulled it into the service bay. Clutch cover comes off, and the mechanic brings over the gasket -- which has a tear in it (thin area where there's a bolt hole in the middle tore on either side of the bolt hole). He goes and gets the dealership owner, and together they examine it. Seems the gasket came from Triumph with a small crease in it that weakened it, and it's just a thin paper gasket to begin with.

Unfortunately they didn't have another one in stock, but they got me back on the road by patching the torn gasket, and they'll give me a call when the new one comes in and they'll do a quick swap. Thankfully removing the clutch cover only takes a few minutes, so I can swing by at lunch and they can take care of it on the spot.

It's a pain in the ass, but they're making it right, and both the owner and the mechanic both apologized to me (independently) for not noticing the oil leak. And their patch job on the existing gasket seems to be good -- it didn't leak any oil on the way back to work. Will be interesting to see if that holds true all the way home and overnight.

So, all good for now. Still sucks that it happened and they didn't notice it, but they didn't try to weasel out of their mistake, and I respect them for that.

--mark
Mark. Sounds good that they are doing the right thing. So who is your dealer.?
hecpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #13746
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
So yesterday I brought my Tiger in to the dealer's service department for the first time (I do all my own service). Didn't have a choice in this case because it needed the various recalls/TSBs done -- gear shift return spring, center stand, updated EFI map, etc....
You sound a lot like me with avoiding dealers at all cost. Just to share a similar story, I *had* to take my CRF450X in for a recall on the decompression mechanism. It was a simple job I could have done myself, but of course they have to do it unless I want to pay for it.

Anyway, they demand to hold my bike while the part is on order (took about a week). I can kinda understand this as they don't want the bike breaking and causing more damage. Okay, they finally get the part in and fix it up. I ride home (about 3 miles away or so) and look down to see oil leaking out and oil all over the bike and my boot.

Long story short, they f***ing leave off one of the valve cover bolt gaskets and double it up on another bolt. Seriously, how does this happen?!? I know mistakes happen, but when they charge close to $100/hr, stupid shit like should not happen...

After calling them up pissed off, they wanted me to bring the bike in so they could fix it. I told them not no, but hell no, and demanded another gasket (this was before I knew it was doubled up on another bolt.

Unfortunately, this is the same shop that's a Triumph dealer too and they've supposedly ordered the part to do the gear shift spring recall - although I haven't heard from them in about a month and figured they dropped the ball on this... I might just look into doing this myself depending on part prices and time involved.

anyway, that's my rant and I'm glad you're back in business.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #13747
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
You sound a lot like me with avoiding dealers at all cost. Just to share a similar story, I *had* to take my CRF450X in for a recall on the decompression mechanism. It was a simple job I could have done myself, but of course they have to do it unless I want to pay for it.

Anyway, they demand to hold my bike while the part is on order (took about a week). I can kinda understand this as they don't want the bike breaking and causing more damage. Okay, they finally get the part in and fix it up. I ride home (about 3 miles away or so) and look down to see oil leaking out and oil all over the bike and my boot.

Long story short, they f***ing leave off one of the valve cover bolt gaskets and double it up on another bolt. Seriously, how does this happen?!? I know mistakes happen, but when they charge close to $100/hr, stupid shit like should not happen...

After calling them up pissed off, they wanted me to bring the bike in so they could fix it. I told them not no, but hell no, and demanded another gasket (this was before I knew it was doubled up on another bolt.

Unfortunately, this is the same shop that's a Triumph dealer too and they've supposedly ordered the part to do the gear shift spring recall - although I haven't heard from them in about a month and figured they dropped the ball on this... I might just look into doing this myself depending on part prices and time involved.

anyway, that's my rant and I'm glad you're back in business.

Being a rather competant driveway mechanic I find all manner of any tech support to be left wanting, whether it be motorcyle related, automotive, household, computer, anything. If someone else can do it then I figure I can. And now with the internet there's a forum or a blog post somewhere where someone else has already had to do the same fix. I call myself Dr. Fixit. So far I've found nothing I can't fix.

New cars - I do oil changes. Bike maintenance? Unless it was a blown motor under warranty I would do the work. Lots of owners whined about getting the center stand installed on the 800. Sheesh, you don't need a lift, it's an easy install, I just don't get it. Give it to a dealer to do and surely they'll f'it up somehow.

We have an older BMW 325 comvertible (wifeys car) and if I couldn't do the maintenance on that thing we would have gone broke by now.

I feel sorry for the poor fellow in south america with bike troubles. If he had learned to deal with his own maintenance he wouldn't be whining about his bike on the owners thread.

Oh well, some just can't deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Way
Painted inside trim with Pactra RC250 rc car paint for lexan.
Brilliant. Looks way fantastic. Besides, keeping water spots out of the lower inside area of the screen is a big PITA. Good idea I think I'll do it myself.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #13748
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
We have an older BMW 325 comvertible (wifeys car) and if I couldn't do the maintenance on that thing we would have gone broke by now.
It's also a lot easier to blame yourself for a f'up and chalk it up as an experience to learn from :-D

I was doing a new piston and rings on my CRF for the first time. No biggy, couple hour job - until I go to button it up and find out I made a bonehead mistake of putting the cam chain slider in upside down. Took a deep breath and started to disassemble/reassemble. It was miller time after that...
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #13749
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
guess where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I sure never called you an idiot and apologize if it appeared that way. I got the impression from your first post that you basically left it up to the dealer to check/adjust/replace your chain. You've now clarified that you in fact did check your chain and had some concerns but chose to risk it. I was simply suggesting that on a trip like you're taking, it sure helps being as self sufficient as possible. Sure it's nice to just roll up to a dealer and have some work done, but as we all know, that doesn't always happen, whether in North or South America.

As ssevy suggested, a lot of people think they can turn on their spot and head out in to the back country or another country all together and just hit the button to summon the cavalry. I'm not saying this is you and I think you did all you could in your situation to try to get your bike fixed. And there's no excuse for the lack of communication from the dealers or from Triumph UK etc. I have found a lot of these corporate e-mail addresses just don't go to a person any more so they go un-answered sometimes. Does it make it OK, no way.

I seriously do hope you can get this resolved soon so you can carry on your trip.Sorry we can't be more help from Canada. You're on a ride many of us can only dream about. Enjoy it.
Thanks Bross... I appoligize if I snapped a bit, but I guess the situation has rattled me slightly. It's really hard to give people a full understanding of the situation in one email.

Things are looking up. The chain and sprockets are here, and I will most liketly be able to get them on today and be on my way soon. The bike shop said they have work piled up and and it may take several days to get to it, so I asked if I could come down there and do it. Now they are saying they could do it today : )

Still haven't heard anything from Triumph customer service about how this will be handled. I have no idea what I will do about it in Argentina, but I guess I will figure that out.

take care,

Clay D
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #13750
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
Thanks Bross... I appoligize if I snapped a bit, but I guess the situation has rattled me slightly. It's really hard to give people a full understanding of the situation in one email.

Things are looking up. The chain and sprockets are here, and I will most liketly be able to get them on today and be on my way soon. The bike shop said they have work piled up and and it may take several days to get to it, so I asked if I could come down there and do it. Now they are saying they could do it today : )

Still haven't heard anything from Triumph customer service about how this will be handled. I have no idea what I will do about it in Argentina, but I guess I will figure that out.

take care,

Clay D
Clay - glad the chain and sprockets have arrived and you should hopefully be on your way again very soon. Check the chain very carefully after the shop has installed it - if possible, you might want to take a photo and post it so inmates can take a look to see if the master link was riveted correctly. Hopefully it's not an endless chain that would mean they need take the swingarm off to install.

I have to say, you have no chance of Triumph doing anything - the responsibility for ensuring your chain is correctly tightened and in good condition is entirely yours. I'm really not sure what you expect Triumph to do - it's hard for me to fathom why you started out on this trip without even the basic mechanical skills to tighten a chain. It boggles my mind to be honest.

Good luck for the future.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #13751
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
If you clean & lube your chain every 200miles (that's what the owners Manuel says), then it should last way more than 20,000 miles. After you get a brand new chain & sprocket set installed, lube the chain. Stop at 50 miles & check for stretching. Adjust if necessary. If its good, then stop at 100 miles @ repeat. A new chain will stretch & need adjusting shortly after install.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #13752
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,920
Had this article saved as an interesting reference to bikes and mileage. While we're on the subject of chains, check out the lifespan of this dudes chains...

High Mileage Bikes - Britain's Highest Mileage Rider

I was looking through some old bike mags recently and found this article in Bike May 2005. I find this sort of thing interesting as a motorcycle owner so thought I'd post some highlights.

The fella in question is a courier called Stan, who was in his early 60's at the time of the article. His list of bikes is as follows, along with the mileage he put on to each:

1983 Kawasaki GT550 - 15,000 miles
1984 Kawasaki GT750 - 184,000 - "Worst bike I ever bought"
1986 Yamaha FJ1100 - 30,000
1987 Yamaha FJ1200 - 14,000 in 3 weeks - returned to the dealer due to excessive vibration
1987 Yamaha FJ1200 - 90,000
1988 Honda VFR750 FJ - 140,000
1989 Honda VFR750 FK - 149,000 - knocked over at an airport, then traded in
1990 Honda VFR750 FL - 852,000 - engine replaced at 440,000 after it blew its head gasket
1996 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3 - 252,000
1997 Kawasaki ZZR1100 D1 - 60,000 - written off
1998 Honda Blackbird - 410,000
2001 Honda Blackbird - 205,000 - current bike at the time of the article

Some mega mileages there, just goes to show those who worry about their bikes getting to 20 or 30k miles have only just scratched the surface.

Some other info:
  • Oil and filter changed every week - using Honda oil filters but 10w40 car oil - the cheap stuff (that's what he used in the 852,000 mile VFR!!)
  • RK chains last far longer than any others - usually 80,000 miles
  • A Scottoiler is used to keep the chain 'saturated in oil'

I personally like DID chains the best....

Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #13753
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
If you clean & lube your chain every 200miles (that's what the owners Manuel says), then it should last way more than 20,000 miles. After you get a brand new chain & sprocket set installed, lube the chain. Stop at 50 miles & check for stretching. Adjust if necessary. If its good, then stop at 100 miles @ repeat. A new chain will stretch & need adjusting shortly after install.
Motorex makes a neat little pocket size chain lube can that is refillable from the full size one. Throw it in the tank bag and give the chain a shot each morning on a trip.

And yes, they stretch a bit. For you DIY'rs, check your chain slack on the new bikes. I had to set mine up a bit already.

Spokes too on the XC's. Do the tink-tink-tink method with a 5mm box-end, tighten up the loose ones. I got a quarter turn or so out of about a third of mine, front and rear.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #13754
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
If this has been discussed I apologize, but what is the general opinion of chain oilers?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #13755
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
If this has been discussed I apologize, but what is the general opinion of chain oilers?
They work, but I ride way to much sand. Even the dirt has sand. The oil would attract sand & it would stay on the chain.