Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #13756
T
FKA cyclingtom

Oddometer: 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
They work, but I ride way to much sand. Even the dirt has sand. The oil would attract sand & it would stay on the chain.
That tends to be the popular opinion on chain oilers....too much dirt/sand turns the oil into a grinding compound.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #13757
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,923
Scott Oiler

I think they're probably great for a long distance road bike, although I've never used one.
The thing I don't like about oil is that it's extremely messy and dirty. That shit goes everywhere.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #13758
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,053
I've used a Scott Oiler on a couple bikes but as said wouldn't use one on any bike that see's gravel roads, off road. I also spent probably just as much time fiddling with the delivery tube to keep it positioned properly as I would have just lubing the chain. Won't ever use one again.

If you rode every day in the rain, like say Seattle or the UK, then I'd say it could be worth it, otherwise no.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #13759
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Clay - glad the chain and sprockets have arrived and you should hopefully be on your way again very soon. Check the chain very carefully after the shop has installed it - if possible, you might want to take a photo and post it so inmates can take a look to see if the master link was riveted correctly. Hopefully it's not an endless chain that would mean they need take the swingarm off to install.

I have to say, you have no chance of Triumph doing anything - the responsibility for ensuring your chain is correctly tightened and in good condition is entirely yours. I'm really not sure what you expect Triumph to do - it's hard for me to fathom why you started out on this trip without even the basic mechanical skills to tighten a chain. It boggles my mind to be honest.

Good luck for the future.

I'm 99% sure you don't understand what happened. I know how to adjust and maintain a chain.

When this happened there was no adjustment left and I had been trying to get a chain thru the dealer network for weeks!

Maybe that point isn't very clear in what I said before.

Is it Triumphs responsibility to make sure my chain is tight? No! I didn't say that.

Should they try to help me get some parts when I desparately need them?
Ya, I think so.

Clay D
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #13760
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
I'm 99% sure you don't understand what happened. I know how to adjust and maintain a chain.

When this happened there was no adjustment left and I had been trying to get a chain thru the dealer network for weeks!

Maybe that point isn't very clear in what I said before.

Is it Triumphs responsibility to make sure my chain is tight? No! I didn't say that.

Should they try to help me get some parts when I desparately need them?
Ya, I think so.

Clay D
Quote:
When I got to southern Ecuador, about 3000kms-ish away, I noticed the chain was very loose.
I stopped and had the chain adjusted at a small shop, where I also had to get a missing bolt replaced on the side-stand and my pannier bracket welded. He told me there wasn't any adjustment left in the chain and it wouldn't last too long. This really upset me because there is NO Triumph dealer anywhere close and I had just had my bike serviced.
Based on your first post I didn't think you knew how to adjust or maintain a chain either.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #13761
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Based on your first post I didn't think you knew how to adjust or maintain a chain either.
I'm not entirely certain how you are coming to this conclusion. Because the shop tightened my chain, while I was having the pannier bracket welded? I don't get it. So anyone that has ever had their chain adjusted by a mechanic doesnt know how to do it themselves? Btw, I helped the mechanic do it!

Ciao,
Clay
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #13762
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Exactly what I was basing my comment on. I also got the impression that Clay thought Triumph somehow had responsibility for the cracked case due to the chain being loose and coming off since a mechanic at a Triumph dealer had last adjusted it. If I have that wrong, I apologize....but that's what I read into Clay's comments.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #13763
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I'm not entirely certain how you are coming to this conclusion. Because the shop tightened my chain, while I was having the pannier bracket welded? I don't get it. So anyone that has ever had their chain adjusted by a mechanic doesnt know how to do it themselves? Btw, I helped the mechanic do it!

Ciao,
Clay
You were not very clear at all - you mentioned the chain first and then said you 'also' had other things done at the shop. That to me (and others it seems) indicates the main purpose of the visit was to have the chain tightened. If you know how to do it, why let the shop even touch it ?

It may just be a language thing, I have no idea....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #13764
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

OMG

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #13765
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:

When I reached Medellin, Colombia I had the dealer there do a complete service. I told them I would get a oil change approx. 1/2 way to Buenos Aires and bought a new oil filter for the job. I also told them to look at the chain and to replace it, if it would not get me to Buenos Aires ,which was approx 10,000 Kms away. D
Obviously the dealer in Colombia either a) mistakenly thought the chain would last or b) screwed you (more likely - based on the other things you mentioned that he neglected)

But either way - triumph and I will both argue that it is your responsibility to double check the dealer's work and take it up with them before you leave the shop. If you suspected the chain was near the end of it's life it would have been prudent to INSIST on a new chain before you rode another 10k km into the hearth of south america and/or bought a replacement chain to take along with you.

That said - total lack of response, even if to tell you to get lost - is inexcusable from a brand that claims to be manufacturing adventure bikes.

If they are serious about us taking these things far and wide they really need to go above and beyond (at this stage in the game) to coddle their riders in order to prevent them from defecting back to the "other" brand.

GL with everything - I wish you plain sailing from here on out and I am happy to hear that your parts are finally there. Keep us updated on your progress for the rest of your trip. Is there a RR?
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #13766
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Back to the bike for a bit. Looking at the 800xc myself and wondering how it is on the highway, is it spooled up or just happy. RPMs at 60, 70 and 80 would be nice.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #13767
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,685
Hey Clay

Don't pay attention to these guys. They're just pissed that you're off riding in South America and they're sitting behind a computer
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #13768
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Back to the bike for a bit. Looking at the 800xc myself and wondering how it is on the highway, is it spooled up or just happy. RPMs at 60, 70 and 80 would be nice.
It is just fine cruising at 80 on the highway. Allegedly. So I'm told
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #13769
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
It's just a fantastic road bike. At 6K it's running right about 80. Road gearing is great. Offroad, first is a bit tall. But for a heavy DS it works fine.

I initially thought I would get the T800 roadie with tubeless tires and cast wheels. But all reports said the XC was just as good on road so went for the plusher suspension and 21" front wheel. Soooooo glad I did. It's a wonderful machine. If I didn't know better I would have thought a road bike was supposed to be built this way.

Off pavement it just tractors over everything.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #13770
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
It is just fine cruising at 80 on the highway. Allegedly. So I'm told
Sections of I-15 in Utah are posted 80 MPH limit. I'm sure that is where you were.