fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
Nice Salsa Josh! Cool rack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Very cool! Sure beats taking the truck. bet av_mech is gonna want one now too!
Thanks guys! I just went for a test ride and had to change some things around. I won't get a chance to go ride until tomorrow.
I went to go drop off one of the wife's school books at a local college here in town. It's also where they teach the MSF course in my area. The campus police approached me and wanted to take a picture. He said he is the instructor for the course. He wanted a picture for the class. First ride and I'm already famous...
P.S. hows the grass look in my neck of the woods??? I hear its the worst drought in history! I don't think I have mowed in a month and half.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #13787
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I finally finished my rack! Now time to go test it out.

I wish I could do that
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #13788
fbj913
I ride

Here are some more pics.
Some key points:
I started with a piece of angle steel to put between the grab handles. I need a piece of tube steel so I used another piece of angle for now. The angle has too much flex. I will fix it later.
I needed some spacers for the rear. I used the tiger bar end spacers. (I pulled them off a long time ago to install the Acerbis) It actually looks good too.
I used the tie down straps to pull as much weight forward as possible.
I didn't like the tire setting against the frame so I moved it to the side and set it on top of the right bag. The used two sided velcro to attach it.
I had the scoot the Thule rack back so the screws on the bottom didn't set on the seat.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #13789
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Bross - cool kitty! - got one just like it. They like to ride tiggers - especially when gel seat is warm. Chow', j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #13790
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
I finally finished my rack! Now time to go test it out.

Awesome effort! I am going to look into doing something like that myself....
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #13791
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
He said he is the instructor for the course. He wanted a picture for the class. First ride and I'm already famous...
P.S.
Ha ha, yeah probably to tell the class "I don't EVER want to see anything like this on your bikes".

Only kidding. Good work.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #13792
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,876
Had some fun last weekend:

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #13793
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Nice! I keep wanting to do this.

Well - my dad and went out Sunday for a ride. He was on the Tiger and I was on my S3. Hit a bunch of back roads in VA, ended up in Paint Bank VA at the Swinging Bridge Restaurant. Was a good ride until we were headed back home and Dad wasn't in the rear view mirror any more. He ended up hitting the kill switch by accident and in the process of getting stuff started back up, he spun out and dumped it on the side of the road. Couple scratches, no damage, but at least I don't have to worry about being the first one to ding it.
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #13794
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Ha ha, yeah probably to tell the class "I don't EVER want to see anything like this on your bikes".

Only kidding. Good work.
I know! Thats actually what I asked him. I asked if this was a bad example. He didn't really answer my question directly and instead trying teaching me about the load triangle. Thats when I told him that I was pulling as much weight forward as possible with the tie down straps. Then he kind of had the "huh" look on his face and somewhat changed his mind.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #13795
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,663
Quote:
I know! Thats actually what I asked him. I asked if this was a bad example. He didn't really answer my question directly and instead trying teaching me about the load triangle. Thats when I told him that I was pulling as much weight forward as possible with the tie down straps. Then he kind of had the "huh" look on his face and somewhat changed his mind.
You can't "pull the weight forward" by using straps. The weight is still where the mass is located.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #13796
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
You can't "pull the weight forward" by using straps. The weight is still where the mass is located.
Not totally but you can get the weight off of where the rear tire is setting. The rear is setting in the rails only to keep it from swinging, it has absolutely no weight bearing on the rack.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #13797
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Not totally but you can get the weight off of where the rear tire is setting. The rear is setting in the rails only to keep it from swinging, it has absolutely no weight bearing on the rack.
That doesn't matter. The CG of the load is what matters and the straps don't change that. The MB doesn't weigh much so I wouldn't be worrying about it.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #13798
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Right now he's probably back at the Police station trying to find a law against it.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #13799
fbj913
I ride

group buy going on over here if anyone is interested...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...704559&page=80
Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #13800
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
compatiable parts

thanx for your comment BT. Anyway, I haven't posted on here until yesterday after the fix. The bike seems to be holding oil fine and the 2nd chain and sprockets I had shipped to me arrived finally. Looks WAY better quality than the original set and I'm gonna bet they last longer.

I've never done much long distance touring and I'm learning a lot this trip, so all the pointers are great. I was preparing for 6 months and there is still so much I could of done and learned, it seems like a bottomless pit. I'm gonna chaulk it up and do things a little bit different next time.

Cioa,
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I've been on holiday so have just seen this and the unfolding story. Hope you get everything fixed Clay.
What I'm posting for is to say ; "don't be afraid to run a 530 chain on the 525 sprockets if that's all you can get". A 530 is only 1/16" wider and will get you moving again.
Also don't be afraid to connect two lengths of chain together with a couple of rivet links if you can't get the correct length of chain. So long as they're not right next to each other it'll be fine.

I also agree with some of the comments about Triumph's spares supply and service. If they want to compete with BMW they've got to get their overseas service and delivery up to standard as that will influence buyers into their choice of steed for these long distance trips.
Having said that, it's also useful to realise that a lot of service parts for Triumphs are not unique and are widely used on Jap bikes, as shown in the post showing compatible sprockets, so they're available from almost anywhere. You just need to do a bit of research before you go and take the info on a memory stick along with all the other stuff (documents etc.) you've scanned in.