Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #13801
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
I always put the tube in the tire before I put the tire on the rim. You won't need to stuff the tube in later and risk having it twisted. And heavy duty tubes are no more difficult -- maybe slightly easier.
1) Install one bead of the tire on the wheel

2) Stuff tube inside tire, and valve stem through hole in rim

3) Inflate tube to get out all of the wrinkles

4) remove valve core to deflate tube

5) Install 2nd bead of tire

I come from Harley land, where we dealt with tons of tubes. I know there are other ways to do it, but when we used that method we didn't wind up with pinched tubes.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #13802
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
I'm not a fan of heavy duty tubes. They are harder to install, heavier to carry as spares, and I never fun a low enough tire pressure to worry about a pinch flat. Also, it won't protect against a puncture, which is your most common flat. I agree with fb, any one that holds air.
Neither am I but that's the only one they had in stock so I just bought it. I usually just run regular tubes as well.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #13803
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Who has ran out of gas & did it hurt anything? Where you able to tilt the bike & find more usable fuel?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #13804
Picky28
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi all. My first post here

I'm a super sport rider who got the bug of dual sports and adventure riding after going for a ride with friends who ride BMW and KTM's.

I test roade the F800GS and Tiger XC and plan on buying the Tiger XC in a couple of weeks.

I wanted to know if the 2013 models have come out and if not, when are they coming out. I'm in California if that makes any difference.
Picky28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #13805
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Who has ran out of gas & did it hurt anything? Where you able to tilt the bike & find more usable fuel?
yes, no it won't hurt anything. why would it? didn't try to find more.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #13806
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picky28 View Post
Hi all. My first post here

I'm a super sport rider who got the bug of dual sports and adventure riding after going for a ride with friends who ride BMW and KTM's.

I test roade the F800GS and Tiger XC and plan on buying the Tiger XC in a couple of weeks.

I wanted to know if the 2013 models have come out and if not, when are they coming out. I'm in California if that makes any difference.
I have heard no changes for upcoming 2013 models. Might be worth finding a closeout on 2012s when the time is right. Welcome to the club!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #13807
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
yes, no it won't hurt anything. why would it? didn't try to find more.
It says in the book "don't run out". I can imagine air entering the fuel rails not being a good thing. Just curious about any side effects or extra gas not usable.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #13808
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
It says in the book "don't run out". I can imagine air entering the fuel rails not being a good thing. Just curious about any side effects or extra gas not usable.
It's normally only a problem with diesels if you run out. If you run low the fuel pump might not be cooled anymore, therefore running hot. I'm not certain whether that's the same concept as with the Beemers, but there it's not recommended running super low all the time just for this.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #13809
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
When in doubt go to the British Triumph Forums. Those guys get to experience our problems a year in advance....

It seems that the Tiger 800's and XC's will not start if the fuel is not registering. Fuel not registering can be caused by being out of fuel, of course, and by a weak or dead battery. It appears that the ECU must read the fuel gauge in order for the bike to start.

If the fuel gauge reads zero, it won't start. If you have disconnected the battery or it has lost some voltage your ECU will shut down, when you switch on you need to tell the ECU that there is fuel available. The ECU can only check the fuel if the fuel is moving about (don't ask why). That's why you have to sit on the bike and preferably shake it from side to side with the ignition switched on until the fuel gauge starts to move.

Had the same issue myself after not using the bike during the snow and forgetting to plug the Optimate (Battery Tender) in. The battery does not need to get completely flat for this to happen, just drop in voltage a little.

One person reported they had to wheel the bike around in a circle to get the fuel to show on the gauge. Once the fuel gauge starts registering, the bike will start.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #13810
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
My experience re the above post has been quite different. I recently disconnected the battery while installing my heated grips. Upon reconnecting the battery, my fuel gauge showed nothing and the fuel light was on. Yes, fuel in the tank and it started right up.

I drove about 1/2 a mile when the gauge came online and showed the correct amount. Also the fuel light went off.

This has been normal every time I have had the battery out of circuit.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #13811
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's normally only a problem with diesels if you run out. If you run low the fuel pump might not be cooled anymore, therefore running hot. I'm not certain whether that's the same concept as with the Beemers, but there it's not recommended running super low all the time just for this.
I try not to run a fuel injected bike out of gas, mainly because of what's stated above, the pump is cooled by fuel. I ran out of gas 3 times with my Honda CBF, one time my son was riding it and he said he tried to start it "a bunch of times", he didn't think he was out of gas. Couple months later my fuel pump started to squeal and continued to get worse till I had to replace it. $720 later, now I try not to run out. Not sure if there were extenuating circumstances with my pump but would rather not risk it.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #13812
bross
Where we riding to?

Accessories all installed

The rest of my "stuff" finally arrived so I took the day to get it all installed. I had the dealer install the Triumph heated grips, and skid plate when I bought the bike but the tall wind shield and engine bars were back ordered.

so I installed the engine bars, tall shield, fender raising kit, rear mud guard, Happy Trails racks and Seahorse 520 cases using the Happy Trails pannier kit.

So I'm done, I have a set of TKCs to mount before my wife and I go on a dual sport ride but otherwise, it's just ride now!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #13813
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Bross, did you buy the Touratech fender raisers or something else?
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #13814
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 762
Is the rear flap just a piece of rubber or did you purchase from someone?

How long did you have to wait for the engine bars? Mine are on BO to and was curious.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #13815
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
Is the rear flap just a piece of rubber or did you purchase from someone?

How long did you have to wait for the engine bars? Mine are on BO to and was curious.
Acerbis universal mud flap.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote