cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 AM   #13847
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Nice! I keep wanting to do this.

Well - my dad and went out Sunday for a ride. He was on the Tiger and I was on my S3. Hit a bunch of back roads in VA, ended up in Paint Bank VA at the Swinging Bridge Restaurant. Was a good ride until we were headed back home and Dad wasn't in the rear view mirror any more. He ended up hitting the kill switch by accident and in the process of getting stuff started back up, he spun out and dumped it on the side of the road. Couple scratches, no damage, but at least I don't have to worry about being the first one to ding it.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 AM   #13848
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Ha ha, yeah probably to tell the class "I don't EVER want to see anything like this on your bikes".

Only kidding. Good work.
I know! Thats actually what I asked him. I asked if this was a bad example. He didn't really answer my question directly and instead trying teaching me about the load triangle. Thats when I told him that I was pulling as much weight forward as possible with the tie down straps. Then he kind of had the "huh" look on his face and somewhat changed his mind.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #13849
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
I know! Thats actually what I asked him. I asked if this was a bad example. He didn't really answer my question directly and instead trying teaching me about the load triangle. Thats when I told him that I was pulling as much weight forward as possible with the tie down straps. Then he kind of had the "huh" look on his face and somewhat changed his mind.
You can't "pull the weight forward" by using straps. The weight is still where the mass is located.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #13850
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
You can't "pull the weight forward" by using straps. The weight is still where the mass is located.
Not totally but you can get the weight off of where the rear tire is setting. The rear is setting in the rails only to keep it from swinging, it has absolutely no weight bearing on the rack.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #13851
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Not totally but you can get the weight off of where the rear tire is setting. The rear is setting in the rails only to keep it from swinging, it has absolutely no weight bearing on the rack.
That doesn't matter. The CG of the load is what matters and the straps don't change that. The MB doesn't weigh much so I wouldn't be worrying about it.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #13852
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Right now he's probably back at the Police station trying to find a law against it.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #13853
fbj913
I ride

group buy going on over here if anyone is interested...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...704559&page=80
Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #13854
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
compatiable parts

thanx for your comment BT. Anyway, I haven't posted on here until yesterday after the fix. The bike seems to be holding oil fine and the 2nd chain and sprockets I had shipped to me arrived finally. Looks WAY better quality than the original set and I'm gonna bet they last longer.

I've never done much long distance touring and I'm learning a lot this trip, so all the pointers are great. I was preparing for 6 months and there is still so much I could of done and learned, it seems like a bottomless pit. I'm gonna chaulk it up and do things a little bit different next time.

Cioa,
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I've been on holiday so have just seen this and the unfolding story. Hope you get everything fixed Clay.
What I'm posting for is to say ; "don't be afraid to run a 530 chain on the 525 sprockets if that's all you can get". A 530 is only 1/16" wider and will get you moving again.
Also don't be afraid to connect two lengths of chain together with a couple of rivet links if you can't get the correct length of chain. So long as they're not right next to each other it'll be fine.

I also agree with some of the comments about Triumph's spares supply and service. If they want to compete with BMW they've got to get their overseas service and delivery up to standard as that will influence buyers into their choice of steed for these long distance trips.
Having said that, it's also useful to realise that a lot of service parts for Triumphs are not unique and are widely used on Jap bikes, as shown in the post showing compatible sprockets, so they're available from almost anywhere. You just need to do a bit of research before you go and take the info on a memory stick along with all the other stuff (documents etc.) you've scanned in.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #13855
clax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
i like looking at racks

Hey Marlowerluke, Just wondering if you could tell me where I could see a pic of the rack you just bought. I know what you mean about briskly...I dragged one of my Happy Trails mounted in the neutral postion and Im always conscious of doing that again..

Cheers,
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Hello Navillus,

The racks are the ones Roger at Caribou Luggage sells with the cases as a package. They are Hepco and Becker racks which I am really happy with. The racks remove easily with a one size allen key. Much better then the SW Motech racks I had on a previous bike. The cases are 36 liters each. As mentioned mine are mounted 1" higher then stock, and have not had any trouble touching down the cases when riding "briskly" even when the pegs touch down. Other then that they are mounted standard, so the spacing from the bike is what you see. It looks exaggerated in the picture, in reality it looks very reasonable. 39" across is not any wider then most systems I have seen.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #13856
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
Hey Guys, This may be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if the rear brake calipers are suppose to rock from side to side. The left front doesn't move at all and the right front ever so slightly but the rear caliper has a bit of movement side to side. Should I be concerned?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #13857
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
thanx for your comment BT. Anyway, I haven't posted on here until yesterday after the fix. The bike seems to be holding oil fine and the 2nd chain and sprockets I had shipped to me arrived finally. Looks WAY better quality than the original set and I'm gonna bet they last longer.

I've never done much long distance touring and I'm learning a lot this trip, so all the pointers are great. I was preparing for 6 months and there is still so much I could of done and learned, it seems like a bottomless pit. I'm gonna chaulk it up and do things a little bit different next time.

Cioa,
Clay
thats the best way to learn. good luck and i hope your trip goes well for you. stay safe!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #13858
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhspirit View Post
Hey Guys, This may be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if the rear brake calipers are suppose to rock from side to side. The left front doesn't move at all and the right front ever so slightly but the rear caliper has a bit of movement side to side. Should I be concerned?
They will move just a bit. I'm no brake expert but I do know that they somewhat "float" side to side. Make sure the bolts on the front are tight. Not much you can tighten in the rear. Just make sure its all installed correctly.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #13859
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Sliding brake calipers moving by design. Fixed calipers (pistons on both sides) do not move.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #13860
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,444
Center Stand Q

I have a helluva time getting this bike up on the center stand, even worse with a load. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some secret trick to it?

I press the stand foot with my right foot, grab the passenger footpeg bracket or the pannier frame near there, and lift and press at the same time. I'm gonna either bust a hernia or herniate a disc in my back doing this. Do I need to grab further forward on the bike? I don't weigh much either, seems pressing harder on the foot helps, but I just got nothin' more. It's not easy to rock it off the stand either, from sitting on the bike. I look like a fooking idiot.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote