Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #13861
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I have a helluva time getting this bike up on the center stand, even worse with a load. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some secret trick to it?

I press the stand foot with my right foot, grab the passenger footpeg bracket or the pannier frame near there, and lift and press at the same time. I'm gonna either bust a hernia or herniate a disc in my back doing this. Do I need to grab further forward on the bike? I don't weigh much either, seems pressing harder on the foot helps, but I just got nothin' more. It's not easy to rock it off the stand either, from sitting on the bike. I look like a fooking idiot.

I struggle too - it is MUCH harder than, say my Sprint. I also seem to catch my leg on the passenger footpeg every single time.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #13862
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhspirit View Post
Hey Guys, This may be a stupid question but can anyone tell me if the rear brake calipers are suppose to rock from side to side. The left front doesn't move at all and the right front ever so slightly but the rear caliper has a bit of movement side to side. Should I be concerned?

With no brake applied the caliper will move 0.5-2mm: floating design like most. Your left front would probably move too with enough force.

Apply some lever/pedal and see how they tighten up.....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #13863
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
It is a pain to get up on the centerstand. I use the pass peg bracket. Getting it off the centerstand is easy. Just put the sidestand down first & standing next to the bike, push it forward.
I almost got stuck one time on a hill. I used the hill to help me get the fully loaded Tiger up on the CS. When I was ready to leave, I almost busted a gut trying to push it up hill & off the stand. I'll never do that again.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #13864
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,027
Quote:
I have a helluva time getting this bike up on the center stand, even worse with a load. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some secret trick to it?

I press the stand foot with my right foot, grab the passenger footpeg bracket or the pannier frame near there, and lift and press at the same time. I'm gonna either bust a hernia or herniate a disc in my back doing this. Do I need to grab further forward on the bike? I don't weigh much either, seems pressing harder on the foot helps, but I just got nothin' more. It's not easy to rock it off the stand either, from sitting on the bike. I look like a fooking idiot.

This '012 ain't too bad but my 05 was a real bitch. On both I found if I grabbed the engine guard with my left hand and the passenger bracket with my right, with back/up momentum they were on the stand and sitting pretty....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #13865
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
With no brake applied the caliper will move 0.5-2mm: floating design like most. Your left front would probably move too with enough force.

Apply some lever/pedal and see how they tighten up.....

Just tried this and yes they tighten up, Thanks, feeling better about it now.

Thanks, also Fbj913 & bluesman for your reply
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #13866
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Had some fun last weekend:

Touch down since the risers Cug?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #13867
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Touch down since the risers Cug?
No touching down since the risers, but I haven't been riding alone since installing them. Meaning - I wasn't going very fast. In this photo series I wasn't leaning over very much, it was just a corner with a nice view into it, but I had only about a hundred meters to get up to speed and then take the first corner.

I'd need to go for a ride alone to actually get into the flow.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #13868
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Sliding brake calipers moving by design. Fixed calipers (pistons on both sides) do not move.
What he said.
Yes there'll be some movement. So long as all the bolts are tight you're good to go.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #13869
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:

Sounds like you need a Gym membership.
I don't find it any worse than my Tiger955. I think most bikes with long travel suspension will be harder than a standard road bike because we've got to lift it further. i.e. there's 40mm of sag to overcome before it even starts to get off the ground.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #13870
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:

Pull back, rather than up and if that fails, run it up on 2 2 x 6's-then it's really a piece of cake
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #13871
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,537
Beautiful bikes guys, I have a long way to go!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #13872
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I don't find my roadie particularly difficult to pop up on it's center stand. I do have some trouble getting it off though.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #13873
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
I don't find my roadie particularly difficult to pop up on it's center stand. I do have some trouble getting it off though.
I don't have a center stand yet, but I have a helluva time getting it on a rear stand. I only weigh around 140lbs, but I didn't have much trouble getting my TL1000R up on the rear stand!

elan screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 08:17 AM Reason: spelling
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #13874
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Sounds like you need a Gym membership.
I don't find it any worse than my Tiger955. I think most bikes with long travel suspension will be harder than a standard road bike because we've got to lift it further. i.e. there's 40mm of sag to overcome before it even starts to get off the ground.

Really? A gym membership? What I really need is about 30 less years of aging.

It's still an assinine comment. But I forgive you.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #13875
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Does anybody have some stock XC handlebars that they don't want? I bent mine on a get-off & kinda like the stock bars.
Sorry for the spam, but I can't afford new bars right now. I may have to use some off of another bike.
Still need a bar? I have a stock XC bar and a Pro Taper CR high laying around. (I'm running a 1200GS bar, believe it or not).
Chinookmark is online now   Reply With Quote