User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #13876
Jimbeamer80
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Got a tiger 800xc!!

Bought the Tiger yesterday in St. Louis. Rode it home, 150 miles. AWESOME. LOVE IT. Can't wait to ride the weekend!!!! I want some panniers, but they look expensive. Anyone know of any good deals????
Jimbeamer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #13877
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Really? A gym membership? What I really need is about 30 less years of aging.

It's still an assinine comment. But I forgive you.
Assinine? It's called humour round here. But I know what you mean. At 56 YO I've lost a lot of fitness over the last 10 years or so. For me it's picking the damn thing up after a fall that I'm struggling with.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #13878
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeamer80 View Post
Bought the Tiger yesterday in St. Louis. Rode it home, 150 miles. AWESOME. LOVE IT. Can't wait to ride the weekend!!!! I want some panniers, but they look expensive. Anyone know of any good deals????
I'd go for something "like" the Givi Monokey series. That way you can transfer them from bike to bike and you've got them for life.
Triumph OE is a one bike deal.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #13879
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I'd go for something "like" the Givi Monokey series. That way you can transfer them from bike to bike and you've got them for life.
Triumph OE is a one bike deal.
Agreed on the Givi (or like) luggage.

I would like to add that quick-release racks are an added benefit to this setup; when you don't want the luggage on the bike, you can lose the racks also within short order. I run quick-release racks on my ZZR12 and T8XC, and really like the setups.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #13880
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I have a helluva time getting this bike up on the center stand, even worse with a load. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some secret trick to it?

I press the stand foot with my right foot, grab the passenger footpeg bracket or the pannier frame near there, and lift and press at the same time. I'm gonna either bust a hernia or herniate a disc in my back doing this. Do I need to grab further forward on the bike? I don't weigh much either, seems pressing harder on the foot helps, but I just got nothin' more. It's not easy to rock it off the stand either, from sitting on the bike. I look like a fooking idiot.

This bike's centerstand pivot point is not as well balanced as some bikes. I had an 1150 GS which was easily 150lbs heavier, and with more ground clearance, that was much easier.

I found that facing directly forward makes it much easier. Same process, step on the foot hanger, pull up on the frame by the passenger peg, but having my shoulder and hips squared to a forward position, vs perpendicular to the bike, let's me use my stronger leg/arm muscles, instead of the weaker back muscles. Give it a go.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #13881
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeamer80 View Post
Have a look at these.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661079

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #13882
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
No touching down since the risers, but I haven't been riding alone since installing them. Meaning - I wasn't going very fast. In this photo series I wasn't leaning over very much, it was just a corner with a nice view into it, but I had only about a hundred meters to get up to speed and then take the first corner.

I'd need to go for a ride alone to actually get into the flow.
If you have a centerstand do you find the bike easier to get up onto the stand after the riser install?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #13883
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If you have a centerstand do you find the bike easier to get up onto the stand after the riser install?
Doesn't feel like a big difference. The bike is much harder to get on the centerstand than my R1200GS was. That one felt similar if I had loaded panniers on. The balance of the Tiger centerstand is pretty bad.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #13884
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
I found that facing directly forward makes it much easier. Same process, step on the foot hanger, pull up on the frame by the passenger peg, but having my shoulder and hips squared to a forward position, vs perpendicular to the bike, let's me use my stronger leg/arm muscles, instead of the weaker back muscles. Give it a go.
Best advice yet. Works like a charm, thank you very much. It's more like pulling than lifting this way and it works.
I really do enjoy having a center stand - have never had one on a bike 'till now. Chain maint and tire changes are a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
Assinine? It's called humour round here. But I know what you mean. At 56 YO I've lost a lot of fitness over the last 10 years or so. For me it's picking the damn thing up after a fall that I'm struggling with.
Yes, humor. That's why my post had a laughing icon.

I just turned 55. It feels old. I don't likey.

I seriously I doubt I could pick this bike up if it was loaded down. I hesitate to even try it.

But I still ride too fast. Got stopped by the California Highway Patrol (chip) twice going to Laguna Seca, once up and once back. Got one warning and one ticket. If my buddy had his way we would have been doing over a hundred.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #13885
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
12K service price?

I went by my dealer today and asked what it would cost for my 12k service, the answer was $1000.00!!!!!!!!! If that what everybody is paying their dealer for a 12K service, I think I'll sell my Tiger. I can't believe that it should cost that much, but what is everybody else paying or have been quoted? Rod
Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #13886
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I went by my dealer today and asked what it would cost for my 12k service, the answer was $1000.00!!!!!!!!! If that what everybody is paying their dealer for a 12K service, I think I'll sell my Tiger. I can't believe that it should cost that much, but what is everybody else paying or have been quoted? Rod
I'm doing my own service so just parts and time. Hopefully valve clearance is good, maybe find out tomorrow if I can get motivated.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #13887
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I'm doing my own service so just parts and time. Hopefully valve clearance is good, maybe find out tomorrow if I can get motivated.
I'm checking the valves on my wife's Street Triple in the next week or so, I can let you know how it goes if you haven't done yours yet. Had three valves out of spec on my Honda CBF and pulling the cams wasn't that bad, just time consuming.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #13888
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Not near that much, call Doug Douglas Triumph at 909-884-4776
http://www.douglasmotorcycles.com/default.asp

I had my 12K service and it was less than half what you were quoted.
So give them a call.

Jerry
Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #13889
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
Not near that much, call Doug Douglas Triumph at 909-884-4776
http://www.douglasmotorcycles.com/default.asp

I had my 12K service and it was less than half what you were quoted.
So give them a call.

Jerry
Thanks for the info, but that's about 600 miles from where i am. I live in northeastern Calif, about 100 miles out of Reno.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #13890
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but that's about 600 miles from where i am. I live in northeastern Calif, about 100 miles out of Reno.
Sorry,saw Westwood and just figured it would be a day ride.

Jerry