Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #13936
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
You mean like this?

Now, THAT's rocky.

At least it appears to be a reasonably easy slope. I can see a bt of a line there but I would paddle through that for fear of slicing my rubber clean off the rims!!

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #13937
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Hmmm. This certainly looks easy enough (although looks can be deceiving) but I can't imagine it would be that much harder on the Tenare. The difference between the 800XC and the Tenare is a half-step. For me to have two bikes, they need to be a full step apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
This is the type of trail I want to do as well as some overgrown grass double tracks.

I have a super tenerefor 2up touring, fire roads, and my alaska trip.

Joe
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #13938
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
This is the type of trail I want to do as well as some overgrown grass double tracks.

I have a super tenerefor 2up touring, fire roads, and my alaska trip.

Joe
Funny enough I went exploring yesterday and wound up on a dirt road that looked similar to your photo, except much worse in spots. Steeper with more loose rock and gravel. (It started out paved)

I have a roadie, so I was a little worried, but kept going anyway. The bike did fantastic. It had the stock tires without removing any air pressure and it never skipped a beat.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #13939
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
How big of a concern is the passenger pegs cracking frames in easy drops in all seriousness? I am looking to add an 800xc to the garage as an off road bike, but that issues concerns me a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Joe
As I documented earlier in this thread, for me it became a huge concern. First minor low side slide in gravel resulted in my XC being totaled by the insurance company when the passenger peg mount was bent upwards 180*. The bracket goes into the frame with the frame acting as a welding socket for the fillet weld. So even if the bracket is not wasted as mine was the leverage in the frame could pretty easily kink the frame when the peg is absorbing the energy of a drop.

turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #13940
turboICE
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
It's not a concern. Funilly not a concern for 1200gs either
It is a concern for the Tiger. 1200s were on the ride where mine was damaged and they said the width of the front area prevents their pillion peg brackets from being a primary impact or hanging point. They (over a dozen experienced 1200 riders) had never seen the type of damage my Tiger suffered on a 1200.

As illustrated in my picture on the Tiger the peg bracket can easily hang and total the bike.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #13941
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
TurboIce, what did you do? Get a new Tiger? A check? What was the end result with the insurance company?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #13942
turboICE
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
TurboIce, what did you do? Get a new Tiger? A check? What was the end result with the insurance company?
Their estimate for repairs which included replacing the entire frame was more than the value, insurance totaled it. I would have bought it back salvage but don't have experience enough to know how hard it would be to license it on a salvage title. If I knew I could remove the pillion brackets and repair the kink in the frame and re-license it I would have done it for sure.

I have not decided what to do next. I loved the Tiger and am quite upset at the outcome. I was hoping they would adapt the Explorer design for the Tiger but that doesn't appear to be in the cards anytime soon.

Other than this mishap the bike was awesome on the rest of the ride including plenty of rock gardens similar to and worse than both the pictures in the recent discussion. There were long sections of trail that weren't wide enough to be 2 track but not quite single that were nothing but rocks (albeit rounder with less edges).

It is a heavy adventure bike, riding it like it is a heavy adventure bike when taking it off road and not riding it like a dirt bike it is very capable and rewarding. It can go anyplace you are confident enough to take it when ridden appropriately.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #13943
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
As I documented earlier in this thread, for me it became a huge concern. First minor low side slide in gravel resulted in my XC being totaled by the insurance company when the passenger peg mount was bent upwards 180*. The bracket goes into the frame with the frame acting as a welding socket for the fillet weld. So even if the bracket is not wasted as mine was the leverage in the frame could pretty easily kink the frame when the peg is absorbing the energy of a drop.

CUT THEM OFF..........

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #13944
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Question Tourtech Front Fender Risers

Curious-I bought the Tourtech Front Fender Risers and went to install and discovered the 4-M6 15mm fork counter sunk flat head screws are too short to attach the extender riser. Anyone else find the same thing?

BTW, I contacted Tourtech with several emails and a PC and so far, the end result is my frustration....

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #13945
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Pic's of undamaged Tiger

I need to take a better picture but I'm thinking the Happy-Trails racks I have mounted would go a long way to avoiding a similar passenger peg mishap. They bolt to the passenger peg bracket but they also have a nice sloped curve that should keep the bracket from digging in on a slide.

from the Happy Trails website

the racks stick out just past the pegs, so in a slide the rack should take the brunt of the impact. The racks are also supported across the back to the other side strengthening the whole rack.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #13946
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Curious-I bought the Tourtech Front Fender Risers and went to install and discovered the 4-M6 15mm fork counter sunk flat head screws are too short to attach the extender riser. Anyone else find the same thing?

BTW, I contacted Tourtech with several emails and a PC and so far, the end result is my frustration....

TIA
What came in my kit worked fine. I suspect you're using the wrong screws in the wrong place so to speak. The C/sk screws hold the riser bar to the side of the fork legs. 15mm length is OK.

blacktiger screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 09:07 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #13947
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
What came in my kit worked fine. I suspect you're using the wrong screws in the wrong place so to speak. The C/sk screws hold the riser bar to the side of the fork legs. 15mm length is OK.
My kit was correct as well.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #13948
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Not to be arguementive, but no chance of using wrong screws-just too short!
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #13949
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

I added another clip to the one on the right and another tool tube underneath attached with 2 pipe clamps (Jubilee Clips to you...)
Thanks for posting that photo but mine has a split in the 3 hole tab so needs extra support over it.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Be careful about putting too much weight in a tool tube mounted by the tabs, they can rip off.
I've got to make a bracket or plate to hold that end of the tube probably coming off the redundant holes in the back end of the frame.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #13950
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Not to be arguementive, but no chance of using wrong screws-just too short!
Don't know how they can be. The riser bar is 5 or 6mm thick so you've got about 10mm of the screw going into the hole in the fork. How much do you want?