Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #13951
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 344
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Don't know how they can be. The riser bar is 5 or 6mm thick so you've got about 10mm of the screw going into the hole in the fork. How much do you want?
Trust me, the screws are too short!

When I insert the screw into the extender plate, then add the black washer and insert into the fork tube to tighten, the screw does not even start to connect to the fork tube thread. The head of the screw is flush with the extender plate and does catch a thread.. It is as simple as that.

It is possible that the screws supplied to me are not the correct length speced for this application. And it is possible that the black washer supplied is thicker also.

Obviously, the acrews supplied are too short.

BTW, I believe you when you tell me yours worked just fine.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #13952
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Personally, for stuff like that I prefer a WR250R. Lighter, cheaper, tougher (less breakage on drops), easier to ride in this terrain.

I can't understand why people insist on taking 210+ kg bikes that cost 13k+ USD on trails like that. Might be that I don't have enough money for stuff like that. Or that I rather spend my money for the right tool for a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
It is a challenge, which makes it fun. I think what you want to use an XC for has been covered many times over. We get it, you don't want to ride challenging terrain on your tiger. Some of us enjoy it. Different strokes......as they say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Possibly. It's still my opinion. Just can't wrap my head around it.
It's your choice cug but this bike is really capable and as internalcombust says, some people like to challenge the bike and themselves.
I had no trouble on this sort of stuff...

and we went down much, much worse (a bit like av-mech's picture) but the Tiger800XC rode over it all as well as the KTM990 that accompanied me.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #13953
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
Trust me, the screws are too short!

When I insert the screw into the extender plate, then add the black washer and insert into the fork tube to tighten, the screw does not even start to connect to the fork tube thread. The head of the screw is flush with the extender plate and does catch a thread.. It is as simple as that.

It is possible that the screws supplied to me are not the correct length speced for this application. And it is possible that the black washer supplied is thicker also.

Obviously, the acrews supplied are too short.

BTW, I believe you when you tell me yours worked just fine.
OK so I've just measured mine up......the extender bar is 3mm thick and the black washer is 7mm so that makes 10mm which means that your C/sk screw, at 15mm, should go into the fork leg by 5mm. I don't want to extract one of my screws because they're loctited in so I can't tell you what length mine are but yours "should" do OK... sorry it's a bit out of focus....
Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #13954
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Wink

Your fork tubes and mine are different. Mine has another layer of plastic on the tube. The screw passes through it and the added thickness before it gets to the tube where the threads are located. See photos.

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Logan Pearsall Smith
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #13955
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Your fork tubes and mine are different. Mine has another layer of plastic on the tube. The screw passes through it and the added thickness before it gets to the tube where the threads are located. See photos.

Yeeeaaahhhhh! Well you take that off..........................Doh!

Sorry.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #13956
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Bluhduh

That explains it! I removed the OEM fork plastics and installed the extenders with supplied screws-loctited.

Now I am enjoying a nice slice of humble pie. But it would be helpful if the directions detailed this removal, and the installation as well.

Thanks for your assistance.
Logan Pearsall Smith
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #13957
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
That explains it! I removed the OEM fork plastics and installed the extenders with supplied screws-loctited.

Now I am enjoying a nice slice of humble pie. But it would be helpful if the directions detailed this removal, and the installation as well.

Thanks for your assistance.
Don't worry mate, we've all been there, done it. Now, had you read the instructions and looked at the diagram ....................................http://shop.touratech.co.uk/media/ma...420-5441-0.pdf
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #13958
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
update

Called A&S powersports in Roseville, and they quoted me $530.00 for the same service. Looks my dealer won't be getting anymore of my business. Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
I went by my dealer today and asked what it would cost for my 12k service, the answer was $1000.00!!!!!!!!! If that what everybody is paying their dealer for a 12K service, I think I'll sell my Tiger. I can't believe that it should cost that much, but what is everybody else paying or have been quoted? Rod
Old 08-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #13959
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Called A&S powersports in Roseville, and they quoted me $530.00 for the same service. Looks my dealer won't be getting anymore of my business. Rod
Tell them that you'll bring your bike somewhere else because their quote was outrageous. If you don't they'll take "no feedback is good feedback" - until they die.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #13960
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Thanks for posting that photo but mine has a split in the 3 hole tab so needs extra support over it....... I've got to make a bracket or plate to hold that end of the tube probably coming off the redundant holes in the back end of the frame.
If you want to carry significant weight in the tool tube here's one way to do it:

RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #13961
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
That's what I was quoted. This will be the last time anybody else touches my tiger (except me of course). I know how to do everything, but I don't want a hassle with warranty claims in the future. Plus I can watch/learn & get record were the valves are before I check them again. If valves move after the first time adjustment, then they usually keep moving until you need a complete valve job.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #13962
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
If you want to carry significant weight in the tool tube here's one way to do it:
Nice. Got a link to where you got the pieces?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #13963
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
That's what I was quoted. This will be the last time anybody else touches my tiger (except me of course). I know how to do everything, but I don't want a hassle with warranty claims in the future. Plus I can watch/learn & get record were the valves are before I check them again. If valves move after the first time adjustment, then they usually keep moving until you need a complete valve job.
+1
I agree with you here. I can do a lot with my bike, and I really enjoy it. I do not like paying dealers for services I can do myself. I have been really happy in the past when I was able to dismantle and reassemble a bike in minutes rather than hours because of the time I have spent getting to know the bike.

My Tiger and I are still in the "getting to know you" phase. My old KTM Adventure was disassembled/reassembled about 3-4 time by now...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #13964
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

Details please....

I need that!!

How many beers does it hold?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #13965
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Nice. Got a link to where you got the pieces?
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Details please.... I need that!! How many beers does it hold?
Number of beers? With or without ice?

The "parts" are 1/8" x 1" aluminum bar stock from Home Depot. Bend the large radius by hand. Bend the ninety degree angle for the tail piece in a vise. Cut with a hacksaw (or jigsaw). Drill with regular wood bits. I've done three other bikes like this. Had to learn the hard way that the plastic mounting tabs on the tool tube will break under much weight. Not an issue when you wrap around the body as I have done.

The only fancy bit is I powdercoated all the parts, plus the grab rails, and the little silver tabs under the bolts for the luggage rack. Powdercoating is easy. All you need is an old oven, a sandblaster, and about $100 for the powdercoating gun and some powder. I started doing it because I am horrible with paint.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote