Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #13951
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Oh I hit rocks. The plate looks great. It's the mounting bracket that bends or fails. Alt Rider mounts the same way so not a solution. Thanks for offing a possible solution tho.
You need a rock crusher

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #13952
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
You need a rock crusher
I'm thinking I need a new adventure bike. Perhaps I can get one of these.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #13953
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
The problem I've had with mounting the skid plate (XC with SW Motech skid plate) is the four rubber bushings on the bottom. All four of mine de-glued within 1,000 miles. I reassembled them with JB Weld, and I think one of them has come apart again. It is a bit disconcerting to realize the skid plate is essentially glued onto this bike.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #13954
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
skid plate

Quote:
Rob, don't forget, the 2011 skid plate attaches differently than the 2012 skid plate. The redesign of how the 2012 is mounted should eliminate the rattle issues.

First I've heard of this one. Anyone care to elaborate on the difference between 2011 and 2012 mounting differences for the Triumph accessory aluminum skid plate? Worthy of an upgrade, or is updating an early (Silver frame) 2011 possible? Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #13955
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
The problem I've had with mounting the skid plate (XC with SW Motech skid plate) is the four rubber bushings on the bottom. All four of mine de-glued within 1,000 miles. I reassembled them with JB Weld, and I think one of them has come apart again. It is a bit disconcerting to realize the skid plate is essentially glued onto this bike.
The Rubber on mine only makes contact from the spring tension in the skid plate while mounted. My guess is you have damaged the mounting bracket like I have and now there is no tension so it can rattle. If the Rubber mounts bounce off the bottom of the motor enough times I can see them coming loose. But mine is not rubber mounted. Isolated by the grommets touching when everything is straight and all points are making contact yes. Mine is mounted to the bracket in front by two screws and one underneath. Bad design. It was obvious mine was bent once I removed the skid plate. What was shocking was how much. I was fortunate enough to be traveling with a friend with a 2012 Tiger. We could compare the two and reshape mine to match his. Mine was tacoed. Would never had been able to bend it into the right shape with out his as a reference. Sorry did not take any pictures and I'm kicking myself for it now.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #13956
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducken View Post
First I've heard of this one. Anyone care to elaborate on the difference between 2011 and 2012 mounting differences for the Triumph accessory aluminum skid plate? Worthy of an upgrade, or is updating an early (Silver frame) 2011 possible? Ken
IMHO the difference is minor. They both have the same bracket in the front where the two bolts connect it to the bracket I'm talking about. Just look at yours and you will see. It's the weak link and it is very weak.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #13957
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
I'll try to clear things up as best I can.

The 2011 skid plate bolts to the black steel bracket in the front of the bike just under the header and oil filter. (two bolts about 4" apart) and spring tension is required to keep the plate from moving around.

The 2012 plate does not bolt to the black steel bracket. It bolts to the under side of the oil sump. (4) nuts with rubber dampeners that hold the plate on. However the black steel bracket is still used, but only as a crumple mechanism. On the 2011 mounting design when the steel bracket collaspses the whole plate will shift back and into the header pipe.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian

advtenn screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 05:22 AM
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #13958
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
JB weld isn't the right bonding agent for that material. I re-glued mine with heavy duty super glue and immediately cured the glue with a heat gun. That was 3000 miles ago, and I haven't had an issue since. But it is a shitty quality mount.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #13959
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
SM Motech Risers.....

At 5'9" the SW Motech risers are not the ticket. I am going for the 2" pivot risers from ROX. If anyone needs a set of SW Motech risers I can accommodate, cheap. send me a PM.

Brad
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #13960
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
JB weld isn't the right bonding agent for that material. I re-glued mine with heavy duty super glue and immediately cured the glue with a heat gun. That was 3000 miles ago, and I haven't had an issue since. But it is a shitty quality mount.
Thanks. I get the feeling I'll have the opportunity to re-glue these many times.

And thanks, advtenn, for clearing things up. Now to muddy them again, the SW Motech plate attaches to both the four rubber bushings under the sump and to two in front (2012 800XC).
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #13961
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
Good idea - but the fact is, 90% of the pannier racks USE the rear peg's tubing for a support point!

Happy Trails

Touratech

Hepco Becker

GIVI

SW Motech

Metal Mule

...and ...and ...and...

A shame really as I'd like to remove them - but I have the Metal Mule panniers....
And, NOT the Wolfman. They actually bolt to the frame itself.

helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #13962
easypeasy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Talking Stepper motor and volcanic ash don't mix.

I went for a ride today around Mt. St. Helen's. In Washington state. Now this was not an average ride on primary roads, this was 80% off road and wouldn't you know it after being on an old logging road that was mostly volcanic ash my tiger 800 Xc did not want to idle and would die if I did not give it a little extra throttle when stopped. I have read about the stepper motor not functioning properly after bikes have been ridden in dusty conditions. When I got back home I took some wd 40 and sprayed a small amount on the stepper motor shaft and wouldn't you know it my bike was instantly fixed and now idles as it should. Now for the fix. NO Need to pull the tank just take a Qtip and tape it to something long like a pencil ect. Dab a little of your favorite grease on the Qtip and apply it to the stepper motor shaft, problem solved. As a side note volcanic ash is a very fine abrasive dust that most of you out there will not encounter. I read about the stepper motor problem here and I hope this helps a fellow inmate. Easypeasy out!!!!!!
easypeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #13963
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
For those of you new to these offload chain adjusters....

I highly suggest that you back the tension bolts almost all the way out and lube them with never seize the next time you adjust your chain. You will thank me a year from now. If you don't, you risk having the bolts corrode and seize. Your only recourse then is to remove the swing arm and drill them out. Not fun. This isn't inherent to just the Tiger. It's inherent to every bike with this type of chain tensioner.
These bolts constantly get wet and dirty.

Brad

burmbuster screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 08:21 AM
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #13964
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I've seen some of the seats in this thread from Corbin & saddleman. I'm wondering what your impressions are of the above, and whether you have gone the custom route? I had a Bill Mayer on my GS that was great. Also had a Sargent once upon a time, and that seat really fit my ass Too bad they're dragging their feet on production
That was awhile back. Anymore input on seats?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #13965
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
I'll try to clear things up as best I can.

The 2011 skid plate bolts to the black steel bracket in the front of the bike just under the header and oil filter. (two bolts about 4" apart) and spring tension is required to keep the plate from moving around.

The 2012 plate does not bolt to the black steel bracket. It bolts to the under side of the oil sump. (4) nuts with rubber dampeners that hold the plate on. However the black steel bracket is still used, but only as a crumple mechanism. On the 2011 mounting design when the steel bracket collaspses the whole plate will shift back and into the header pipe.
I need to get a look at yours again and see if mine can be modified to it.