Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #13966
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,153
Keeping with the Tool Tube theme.......

I installed mine today.
Hung it off the SWmotech pannier frame using two holes in the frame that are redundant for Givi panniers and a simple plate.

For the instalation on my Scrambler I had a clamp plate made up with threaded holes to support the plastic of the tube mounting...

(almost) got it inline with the frame tube so it looks noice......it will when the bracket has some paint on it....

How it looks from behind...

An idea that I came up with which is an advantage of my thick plate is that if you use a longer middle screw, it can be used as a locking device:-
a) to stop the top coming loose.
b) to stop thieving hands getting at the contents without an Allen key.

Job done. Just got to get out for a ride to make sure it doesn't fall off or foul the chain guard. And then strip it all off for some black Hammerite.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...

blacktiger screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 10:43 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #13967
T
FKA cyclingtom

Oddometer: 4,595
Had to do a front XC tube exchange roadside today. 25 minutes start to finish at a relaxed pace. Bead broke easily with hand pressure. The warning sign: Bike wanted to go straight when I wanted to turn as I came to a stop sign. A very small hole and a very fast leak down. I'll patch the damaged tube for a spare....

T screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 05:17 PM
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #13968
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,056
Seahorse 720 cases mounted

I posted awhile back the mounting of the Seahorse 520 cases. They've been good for grocery getting and running errands etc. but just thought they'd be too small for trips so I ordered a set of 720s. Same width as the 520s but now I've got lots of space. The 520s will be going on my wife's DR.

Just a bit wider than the mirrors

Happy Trails pannier mount kit, uses knobs inside the bag so it's a quick tool less job to remove the bags.

Here's a couple shots showing how I think the Happy Trails racks will protect the passenger pegs with the bags on or off.

from the top
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #13969
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
Seat cover deteriorating?

On the rider's seat the fabric is deteriorating, and not at a seam. It's happening at two spots: on the right rear portion of the rider's perch maybe 1" away from the gap between it and the passenger seat, and at the right front about mid-thigh. Anybody have this problem? Sorry I don't have pictures because I'm at work. Could this be an item under warranty? I bought the bike new and have owned it for 15 months (30,000 miles)...seems a bit premature for the cover to deteriorate.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #13970
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
On the rider's seat the fabric is deteriorating, and not at a seam. It's happening at two spots: on the right rear portion of the rider's perch maybe 1" away from the gap between it and the passenger seat, and at the right front about mid-thigh. Anybody have this problem? Sorry I don't have pictures because I'm at work. Could this be an item under warranty? I bought the bike new and have owned it for 15 months (30,000 miles)...seems a bit premature for the cover to deteriorate.
Have you ever put anything on it? One guy here mentioned he Amour-All'd the passenger seat and it started deteriorating. I only have 15k, but my seat looks fine,
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #13971
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
Had to do a front XC front tube exchange roadside today. 25 minutes start to finish at a relaxed pace. Bead broke easily with hand pressure. The warning sign: Bike wanted to go straight when I wanted to turn as I came to a stop sign. A very small hole and a very fast leak down. I'll patch the damaged tube for a spare....
I assume you have a center stand? If so, how do you keep the front end off the ground while working with it? Nice work!
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #13972
ecb12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Anyone seen an update on when the '13s will be coming out?
ecb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #13973
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I assume you have a center stand? If so, how do you keep the front end off the ground while working with it? Nice work!
you take the front wheel off the bike and the back will be heavy enough to keep it back heavy.(with center stand)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #13974
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you take the front wheel off the bike and the back will be heavy enough to keep it back heavy.(with center stand)
Works for the rear too. Unless you have a bunch of cargo strapped on.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #13975
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 101
Snapper, had a bad experience putting Armor All on the seat of my first streetbike, so I steer clear of putting that stuff on the seat.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #13976
T
FKA cyclingtom

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Works for the rear too. Unless you have a bunch of cargo strapped on.
Yeah, What these guys said. If you didn't have a centerstand you'd have to do it "dirt bike" style- lay it on its side. For the front make sure you have a 17mm allen head (not provided in the factory tool kit).
Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #13977
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
If you don't have a center stand you need one of these: http://endurostar.com/

The Tiger is about max size for one, but they will work. They are rated up to KTM950/990, and the tiger isn't any heavier, so good to go. I've used one on my Versys, it was about 450lbs fueled. Great solution, very compact.

Once a bike is on a sidestand they are very easy to lift one end just lifting and pushing a bit. This guy's little invention is brilliant.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #13978
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Awesome, thanks everyone. I've done plenty of work on bikes, but it's always been in my garage.

Not too experienced with getting stuff done out in the field.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #13979
T
FKA cyclingtom

Quote:
Awesome, thanks everyone. I've done plenty of work on bikes, but it's always been in my garage.

Not too experienced with getting stuff done out in the field.
It's always nice to take care of work in the garage but being prepared for a field assignment will keep you from walking or calling for trailer assistance....
Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #13980
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Have you ever put anything on it? One guy here mentioned he Amour-All'd the passenger seat and it started deteriorating. I only have 15k, but my seat looks fine,
I put Armor-All on mine at the service depts direction, didn't help at all. They replaced the seat under warranty yesterday.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote