Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #13981
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
I put Armor-All on mine at the service depts direction, didn't help at all. They replaced the seat under warranty yesterday.
Good to know. Mine is doing the same. It was a demo and I suspect they had used "something" to try to clean off all of the shoe scuffs from people getting on and off. My rear seat was a gooey mess. Has been since I got it with 1600 miles. It's better now after armor all but the actual vinyl pattern is gone. Needed to be recovered in a better color than grey anyway. Why oh why couldn't they have used the same vinyl as the front seat?

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #13982
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Does anyone think an appropriately farkeled roadie could do the TAT? If so what farkles?

Knobbies, bark busters, engine guards for sure.

And this isn't a roadie vs XC debate - lets just say a roadie is what you have and trading up isn't an option. Can it do it? Comfortably?
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #13983
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
Does anyone think an appropriately farkeled roadie could do the TAT? If so what farkles?

And this isn't a roadie vs XC debate - lets just say a roadie is what you have and trading up isn't an option. Can it do it? Comfortably?
Are you riding the whole thing or just certain states?
You need to prepare for a lot of gravel. That stuff will beat the hell out of your bike. Especially if you go fast. At minimum you need a skid plate, front fender extender, & some kind of mud flap to protect the rear shock. Tires depend on your skill in gravel or sand/mud. If you have no experience, then you need knobbies for sure. If you've been riding dirt for years, then a 50/50 tire is OK.
No matter what bike your riding, if it's soaking wet then your going to hate east AR. The rice fields push sediment all over the road & it's slick as owl shit. Bring a mud shovel in case your front tire locks up. If you find yourself in over your head, then turn around. Sometimes the bad areas can last for miles.

This is a full knobbie on my DRZ in east AR

Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #13984
Birdy68
Scared, but wants to

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
CUT THEM OFF..........

Good idea - but the fact is, 90% of the pannier racks USE the rear peg's tubing for a support point!

Happy Trails

Touratech

Hepco Becker

GIVI

SW Motech

Metal Mule

...and ...and ...and...

A shame really as I'd like to remove them - but I have the Metal Mule panniers....
Birdy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #13985
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post

Rob Dirt summed it up pretty good. XC or not you need the same things in my opinion. I would bring tubes just in case you tear a side wall or just simply damage a tire to the point it won't hold air. How much of it are you planning to ride? That will depend on the tires I would say you need. A front knobby for sure! TKC front is good for about 6,000mi of mostly tarmac so much more if you ride all off road. Either TKC rear or Heidi. Other than that, engine guards, skid plate, and front fender riser. thats my 2c.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #13986
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
Good idea - but the fact is, 90% of the pannier racks USE the rear peg's tubing for a support point!

...and ...and ...and...

A shame really as I'd like to remove them - but I have the Metal Mule panniers....
Fortunately most racks will protect the rear peg bracket in a lay down. But yeah, any one of them could have turned their front mount up and in and attached to the lower part of the rear frame.

I wrote Happy Trails about this, and also because they have their right side lower mount landing exactly where the muffler headpipe runs so the Leo Vince won't fit. I spent a couple of hours fiddling with this and finally gave up, returned the vince can. Disappointed is an understatement. They actually replied (surprise!) and even agreed but admitted that with brisk business this season it might be months or never that they would address it. The quick disco's for the peg brackets is the hot setup.

This is also an issue with my Husqvarna TE630. I've laid it down on the rear pegs and it bent the brackets and the front subrame mounting bolts. And this was a simple dump-over lay down, not a crash. And its alumunim sumbrame is like butter, it cracks and bends and isn't designed for ANY weight. I designed reinforcing brackets to beef up the sub so at least it will carry 30-40lbs on a rear rack. Dozens of owners have used it to fix theirs up. The ones that didn't have cracked subframes. A replacement out of warranty is about $500. Ouch!

I'm not real excited about the top rack mounting either. Everybody uses the four little 6mm mounts in the passenger grab handles.I guess they're strong enough for a light topbox, but anything more is bound to simply break them off or strip out the mountings.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #13987
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
I put Armor-All on mine at the service depts direction, didn't help at all. They replaced the seat under warranty yesterday.
Hope there is no misunderstanding here... DO NOT put any type of protectant on your seat! I've read several people say it causes the deterioration. Even if it doesn't deteriorate the vinyl, you don't want stuff like your grips, foot pegs, seat, and especially TIRES slick with the shit (can't tell you how many bikes I've seen in dealers showrooms with ArmourAll'd Tires.... and on the TREAD!).
Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #13988
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Everybody uses the four little 6mm mounts in the passenger grab handles.I guess they're strong enough for a light topbox, but anything more is bound to simply break them off or strip out the mountings.
IMO 4 "little" 6mm bolts screwed into quite a substantial casting will carry quite a lot of weight.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #13989
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 557
Skid plate mounting problem/possible failure

So I've just returned from an extended 3000 mi trip. The large percentage of it was spent off road. Aside from the well known idle issues, mine doesn't then it does, then it idles at 2000 rpm, the biggest complaint I have is the skid plate and more specifically how it is mounted. The bracket at the front where two of the three mounting screws attach can not take the kind of riding I did. I rode with other larger adventure bikes, KTM 990's and 50's, BMW 800's, 1200's and 1150's and a Strom or two. They all had their problems. Mine was this part i speak of. It bent then the skid plate felt loose and rattled. Spent an afternoon in town with a vise and a hammer reshaping it only to have it bend again. One crash pushed in so far as to dent the oil filter and begin to etch the header pipe. I've looked online since my return and have not found a manufacturer who has another way to mount a skid plate. If this is you, please PM me. The stock setup is junk.

Rabbot screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:27 AM Reason: spelling error correction
Rabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #13990
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

SW Motech luggage setup is awesome. I believe it saved the bike in this 40 MPH crash. It turned into a low side but the film shows the rear tire over my head and out to the side at one point and the front tire still on the ground. Still picked the bike up and rode away after zip tying the Pelican case back on. (Pelican cases are made from the same indestructible material the black boxes are that they put on 747's.) Would you wheelie through that puddle? Counting the soft bottom it's almost two feet deep after I emptied most of it.

And this one. The case came off at 70MPH on pavement for some still unknown reason. Probably a lock failure. It skidded down the road for a few hundred yards before flipping end over end into and embankment. All witnessed by my buddy riding behind me and the UFO case.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #13991
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

For reference we rode mostly stuff like this.

With some of this in between and on the way to Brewery's

Old 08-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #13992
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
So I've just returned from an extended 3000 mi trip. The large percentage of it was spent off road. Aside from the well known idle issues, mine doesn't then it does, then it idles at 2000 rpm, the biggest complaint I have is the skid plate and more specifically how it is mounted. The bracket at the front where two of the three mounting screws attach can not take the kind of riding I did. I rode with other larger adventure bikes, KTM 990's and 50's, BMW 800's, 1200's and 1150's and a Strom or two. They all had their problems. Mine was this part i speak of. It bent then the skid plate felt loose and rattled. Spent an afternoon in town with a vise and a hammer reshaping it only to have it bend again. One crash pushed in so far as to dent the oil filter and begin to etch the header pipe. I've looked online since my return and have not found a manufacturer who has another way to mount a skid plate. If this is you, please PM me. The stock setup is junk.

Rob, don't forget, the 2011 skid plate attaches differently than the 2012 skid plate. The redesign of how the 2012 is mounted should eliminate the rattle issues.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian

advtenn screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 01:15 PM
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #13993
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
Rob, don't forget, the 2011 skid plate attaches differently than the 2012 skid plate. The redesign of how its mounted should eliminate the rattle issues.
Not sure about that. It still attaches to the same mounting bracket up front. That is the issue. That bracket allowed the plate to move backward, and contact the oil filter with enough force to crease it. My issue is with the bracket really not the skid plate although better coverage of the oil filter is a must for anyone going off road.

It was great riding with you buddy. Thanks for the help in reshaping the bracket.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #13994
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I guess the answer to that question largely depends on the feedback i get here - the eastern states for sure seem doable. The western states seem like they might not be so doable on a roadie based on it's suspension travel. I understand that those states are harder going. I believe people have done them on big bikes before but probably ones that are more off-road capable (1200gs, KTMs etc. - even XCs I suppose by now).

I'm wondering if it might be asking too much of the roadie.

It's looking like this coming year I might finally get my chance at a long adv ride (time and money are lining up - it's a long time dream of mine). So I am weighing my options - trans lab vs TAT vs Alaska.

My offroad experience is minimal - but on road plentiful, and I am pretty confident I can learn on the job. Anybody want to steer me towards one ride or the other?

I own an 800 Roadie and am trying to figure out which will be the best option without buying a different bike. In the rest of my life the roadie is ideally suited to my needs.

If needs be I will buy a small dualsport to do the trip but I would prefer to do it on my tiger - I guess I am just appealing to my more experienced inmates for advice on this.

Skidplate gets added to the list - didn't even think about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Are you riding the whole thing or just certain states?
You need to prepare for a lot of gravel. That stuff will beat the hell out of your bike. Especially if you go fast. At minimum you need a skid plate, front fender extender, & some kind of mud flap to protect the rear shock. Tires depend on your skill in gravel or sand/mud. If you have no experience, then you need knobbies for sure. If you've been riding dirt for years, then a 50/50 tire is OK.
No matter what bike your riding, if it's soaking wet then your going to hate east AR. The rice fields push sediment all over the road & it's slick as owl shit. Bring a mud shovel in case your front tire locks up. If you find yourself in over your head, then turn around. Sometimes the bad areas can last for miles.

This is a full knobbie on my DRZ in east AR

gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #13995
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
I assume your speaking of the Triumph skid plate? It sounds to me like you slammed your skid plate into something. Most likely a rock... to me it seems like your skid plate did it's job. Mine is all bashed up too. They are not bullet proof. Check out the Alt Rider plate. I will replace mine with Alt Rider when the time comes. You definitely have to be aware of what line you pick when your riding a heavy bike.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote