Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #13981
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I am preparing for a 4,000 mile ride from VA to ME and back. I am spooning on a Heidenau K60 Scout 170-70 rear, and I have a choice for the front between a Heidenau K60 Scout or a Mefo Explorer. I have both front tires on hand. Our route will be gravel and asphalt mostly. Anyone run these fronts and have a recommendation?

TIA
Just got back from almost 3000 miles riding in CO. Asphalt and gravel roads mostly. I mounted k60 Scouts front and rear. Loved the rear, front sucks. Don't know about the Mefo, but it has to be better then the k60. I'm putting the TKC80 I took off the front back on. Better grip both on and off road.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #13982
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Ordered the Triumph mud guard extension through MADSS and was told Triumph is no longer offering it due to a design flaw. Anyone else heard this? I would go for the Touratech one but I don't want their name plastered on the back of my bike. Ay other options?
I heard they stopped making the rear extender because you can't use it if you have the Triumph panniers, the rack gets in the way. I have the extender and have never had a problem. The dealer did tell me they were discontinued after I got mine.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #13983
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Just got back from almost 3000 miles riding in CO. Asphalt and gravel roads mostly. I mounted k60 Scouts front and rear. Loved the rear, front sucks. Don't know about the Mefo, but it has to be better then the k60. I'm putting the TKC80 I took off the front back on. Better grip both on and off road.
+1 on this. Front feels a bit out of sorts. Very loud too, sings going down paved roads.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #13984
Sedir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I purchased a set of truck mud guards(rubberized flaps), and cut one down, then mounted to the tag assembly.

Works great , looks like it part of the bike, cost $14 and I still have one left for the next bike.
Gotta a pic for those of us that are visualizationally challenged?
Sedir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #13985
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
+1 on the TKC 80 / K60 combo. Good grip on and off road.
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #13986
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
+1 on the TKC 80 / K60 combo. Good grip on and off road.
The only problem, if you want to call it that is, you will go through two fronts for every rear. I am amazed at how well the k60 scout rear tire holds up. I've got 3000 miles on mine and it looks nearly new. In the past I have not gotten more then 1200 miles out of a Metzler Karroo, and 700 out of a TKC 80 rear X2. TKC 80 fronts go about 2500.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #13987
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
The only problem, if you want to call it that is, you will go through two fronts for every rear. I am amazed at how well the k60 scout rear tire holds up. I've got 3000 miles on mine and it looks nearly new. In the past I have not gotten more then 1200 miles out of a Metzler Karroo, and 700 out of a TKC 80 rear X2. TKC 80 fronts go about 2500.
Your numbers are way off compared to most!!! I have gotten 6000 miles easily out of a tkc front and 3-4000 out of a rear. These are not uncommon numbers. Read the tkc thread.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #13988
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,313
Fullbore USA M40 & 41. Good grip on and off pavement, great wear, and cheap. Couldnt be happier.

For more front grip on dirt but still really good on road, look at Michelin T63. The tkc's are too soft for my tastes - I want to be able to run a tire at 22-23lbs on the dirt. You do that with a tkc and you get bent rims.

Anything but a full knobby on the front of a heavy bike is going to washout off pavement. The secret is coming up with a compromise that fits your target terrain.

The latests bikes coming out have the Pirelli Scorpion Trails (Multistrada tire) and I love them. Ran them out on the Versys before getting the tiger. But they are 90-95% road so I ordered out a set of the Fullbore's, they come from the Shinko factory. Because of this (stinko) I was pretty skeptical but after an 800 mile trip I'm a big fan. They also mount up and balance really easy, a big complaint with the heidi's. I just swap them back and forth if I'm doing an all road or mixed use trip. I ran the piss out of them this last trip, about a third dirt, and 75-85 on 100+ degree hot tar with a full load.They still have the mold tits on the knobs. Grip is phenomenal.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #13989
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
+1 tkc80 on the front bike handles great, can lean it right over

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #13990
easypeasy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
[QUOTE=fbj913;19368342]Your numbers are way off compared to most!!! I have gotten 6000 miles easily out of a tkc front and 3-4000 out of a rear. These are not uncommon numbers. Read the tkc thread.[/QUOte

+1. Just over 6000 on the front and about due for a new one but could go longer if needed. With Atleast 4000 on black top.

easypeasy screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 05:35 PM
easypeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #13991
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Anyone tried the Mitas E07's?

The tread pattern looks like it would be great for both the slab and the dirt.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #13992
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Your numbers are way off compared to most!!! I have gotten 6000 miles easily out of a tkc front and 3-4000 out of a rear. These are not uncommon numbers. Read the tkc thread.
These are my numbers, there are many like them but these are mine. Perhaps, .... I ride a little different then others.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #13993
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
These are my numbers, there are many like them but these are mine. Perhaps, .... I ride a little different then others.
Rabbot, I like your sig line....Del McCoury?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #13994
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Richard Thompson
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #13995
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Richard Thompson 1952. I love red heads and I love girls who ride. Sometimes I find one who is in both categories.