Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #14041
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
The only problem, if you want to call it that is, you will go through two fronts for every rear. I am amazed at how well the k60 scout rear tire holds up. I've got 3000 miles on mine and it looks nearly new. In the past I have not gotten more then 1200 miles out of a Metzler Karroo, and 700 out of a TKC 80 rear X2. TKC 80 fronts go about 2500.
Your numbers are way off compared to most!!! I have gotten 6000 miles easily out of a tkc front and 3-4000 out of a rear. These are not uncommon numbers. Read the tkc thread.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #14042
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,416
Fullbore USA M40 & 41. Good grip on and off pavement, great wear, and cheap. Couldnt be happier.

For more front grip on dirt but still really good on road, look at Michelin T63. The tkc's are too soft for my tastes - I want to be able to run a tire at 22-23lbs on the dirt. You do that with a tkc and you get bent rims.

Anything but a full knobby on the front of a heavy bike is going to washout off pavement. The secret is coming up with a compromise that fits your target terrain.

The latests bikes coming out have the Pirelli Scorpion Trails (Multistrada tire) and I love them. Ran them out on the Versys before getting the tiger. But they are 90-95% road so I ordered out a set of the Fullbore's, they come from the Shinko factory. Because of this (stinko) I was pretty skeptical but after an 800 mile trip I'm a big fan. They also mount up and balance really easy, a big complaint with the heidi's. I just swap them back and forth if I'm doing an all road or mixed use trip. I ran the piss out of them this last trip, about a third dirt, and 75-85 on 100+ degree hot tar with a full load.They still have the mold tits on the knobs. Grip is phenomenal.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #14043
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Just got back from almost 3000 miles riding in CO. Asphalt and gravel roads mostly. I mounted k60 Scouts front and rear. Loved the rear, front sucks. Don't know about the Mefo, but it has to be better then the k60. I'm putting the TKC80 I took off the front back on. Better grip both on and off road.
+1 tkc80 on the front bike handles great, can lean it right over

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #14044
easypeasy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
[QUOTE=fbj913;19368342]Your numbers are way off compared to most!!! I have gotten 6000 miles easily out of a tkc front and 3-4000 out of a rear. These are not uncommon numbers. Read the tkc thread.[/QUOte

+1. Just over 6000 on the front and about due for a new one but could go longer if needed. With Atleast 4000 on black top.

easypeasy screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 04:35 PM
easypeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #14045
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Anyone tried the Mitas E07's?

The tread pattern looks like it would be great for both the slab and the dirt.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #14046
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Your numbers are way off compared to most!!! I have gotten 6000 miles easily out of a tkc front and 3-4000 out of a rear. These are not uncommon numbers. Read the tkc thread.
These are my numbers, there are many like them but these are mine. Perhaps, .... I ride a little different then others.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #14047
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
These are my numbers, there are many like them but these are mine. Perhaps, .... I ride a little different then others.
Rabbot, I like your sig line....Del McCoury?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #14048
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Richard Thompson
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #14049
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Richard Thompson 1952. I love red heads and I love girls who ride. Sometimes I find one who is in both categories.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #14050
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
1952 Vincent Black Lightning. The beautiful girl in the previous picture, turned me on to it. Great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCH5JgWCZY

Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #14051
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Are they your track tires? Thats the only way I could imagine those numbers.

Here is a 4000 mile rear TKC from my tiger, 1800 of those miles was all highway slab. (the Hedi has about 2500 or so. I can't keep track because it goes on and off...)

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #14052
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Are they your track tires? Thats the only way I could imagine those numbers.

Here is a 4000 mile rear TKC from my tiger (the Hedi has about 2500 or so. I can't keep track because it goes on and off...)

No, I have a track bike with slicks for that. I live in a place where there are no straight roads. I tend to ride at a spirited pace. We all do here. We moved here for the riding. It is not unusual for the bikes to slide through turns, both the front and rear. The point is the Heidi's hold up a lot better. I mean a lot better. My numbers are real. The front k60 sucks on and off road in my opinion. It may be great for others.. I have read all the threads about tires and was reluctant to buy the K60's. My feeling was anything getting that kind of milage must be a real hard compound and provide no traction. I was wrong.

I'm not saying I'm some kind of AMA superbike champion, just that I ride a lot and at a pace that tests tires on very twisty roads. I am not the only one here who does not get the life out of a tire that others do.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #14053
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I have done around 3000kms on my TKC front with about 30% of that dirt, and its pretty much like new. I'm not a hugely aggressive rider though.

Quote:
The only problem, if you want to call it that is, you will go through two fronts for every rear. I am amazed at how well the k60 scout rear tire holds up. I've got 3000 miles on mine and it looks nearly new. In the past I have not gotten more then 1200 miles out of a Metzler Karroo, and 700 out of a TKC 80 rear X2. TKC 80 fronts go about 2500.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #14054
Flying Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The tread pattern looks like it would be great for both the slab and the dirt.
I mounted up a set for my trip. Pretty sure I don't need them but wanted to look the poser part.

Trucked it up to my buddy's house in Iowa today. Leaving friday morning and headed to Yellowstone via Spearfish, Red Lodge, and back. Tires have about 150 miles on them so far. I am guessing we won't do 5 percent offroad on this trip so I should be able to tell you how they hold up on the asphalt.

I am probably 225 in gear with all three Jesse Bags loaded up and a 38L drybag on the rear seat as a fyi of the weight those poor tires have to carry.
Flying Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #14055
easypeasy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Looking in past the injector from the RH side of the bike, I can see a small opening that would allow one to squirt a lubricating spray such as WD40 into the area of the bushing. However, I can't quite figure out how to get a Qtip with grease to the area; I just don't see a straight shot anywhere that has a big enough opening to pass a Qtip through.

Any tips on how you got to it?

You are correct that you must go in from the right side. So you made me take my bike apart to see how good I really did getting the bushing greased and would'nt you know it I had the grease right where it belonged, I could not have done much better with the Air filter housing off. Ready for the secret, here it is, bend the Qtip 90 degrees at the end and tape it to something longer like a piece of wire ect. Atleast while it was apart I was able to remove the dirt and crud that had built up around the bushing.
easypeasy is offline   Reply With Quote