ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #14101
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer
 
queenpdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 980
Windshields, Oil, and Tires....

Windshields, Oil, and Tires....

Just kidding.

Picked up my new Tiger 800XC this week. Got a good deal on a demo machine. Intense orange with 500 miles on it. I am having some issues with the windshield and I'm hoping to experiment with it on the cheap. For now, i'm loving the machine. I know I'll miss my Street Triple some, but the Tiger is so much more versatile for me.

Anyway, another lady Tiger rider here.

Pics and reports to follow.
__________________
Two wheels good

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #14102
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Received my center stand today. Thank God for You Tube. How can they ship something like this without any installation instructions?
Installing tomorrow.
All the accessory installation instructions are available at triumphinstructions.com.
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #14103
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Received my center stand today. Thank God for You Tube. How can they ship something like this without any installation instructions?
Installing tomorrow.
Yeah, just lean it off with a tie-down and take the side stand off. The center goes on easy. Button'er back up. Nice accessory. Yes, easy how-to download from triumph.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #14104
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
invicta1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: High plains
Oddometer: 380
Leo Vince baffle

Anyone out there have their LV baffle they no longer want? I cut mine down to about an inch, which was just fine, until I put on a madstad windshield. Now no crazy buffeting, and a much quieter ride. But I can hear the LV too well, not too loud, but too much drone, even with the partial baffle. Before I go deaf, I must source a full baffle. Anyone? Will swap my cut down version if you wish! Not obvious the LV sells these, though I suppose they must, but I'm sure there's a number of them sitting in folks garages too. . .
__________________
It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
invicta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #14105
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer
 
KildareMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: County Kildare, Ireland
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Received my center stand today. Thank God for You Tube. How can they ship something like this without any installation instructions?
Installing tomorrow.
All instructions for ALL Triumph accessories are as stated on Triumphinstructions.com
Reason is that all accessories are meant to be installed by triumph trained technician. Says so in instructions.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #14106
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,297
Took out a Roadie, this past Thursday. Compared to my 1050, I'm not totally smitten with the 800. The difference in power, or torque, is substantial. I'm used to the roll-on of my 1050. The 800's engine is much smoother, though. The 800's handling is much heavier. Looking at geometries, the 800 has .7 degrees more rake and 4.7mm more trail. That, combined with the narrower, 19" tire's longer contact patch, makes for heavier steering/handling. The passenger position of the 800 is much lower and lends to a much less top-heavy feeling, two-up. The 800's lower and better weight distribution is a dramatic difference. I've had continued wrist and elbow issues, so the weight subject is the most important, especially two-up. Overall, she and I felt the 800 was a downgrade, in genaral feeling, to the 1050. The 1050 is so much more substantial. My thought was that the 800 reminded me of riding a standard SV650, just with a different engine. She thought the same. Bottom line: I'm wanting the 800 Roadie, due to the weight differences. It's a great motorcycle, when based on its own merits or against like machines.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #14107
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,303
Just side note.
In my opinion one of key to getting handling of 21-17 or 19-17 bikes to what to enjoy is stop alltogether habits coming from roadbikes.
That worked for me when I had both sportbike and big dualsport and that works for me with Tiger 800XC. Namely - ride it mix of supermoto and a bit like big dirtbike. Then everything falls in place. No heavy handling, no lack of feedback...
My recent rides in Eiffel area in Germany and 2500 km on Norway twisties proved it to be probably best approach (for me) to riding tiger aggressively.
Add: And in my impression after quite a few tesrides of 1050 that "technique" won't work for it or for any other of road bikes I tried. It did work well for SMT990 we exchanged with my friend on Norway ride for couple of hundred kms...

bluesman screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 09:59 AM Reason: forgot to add
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #14108
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Just side note.
In my opinion one of key to getting handling of 21-17 or 19-17 bikes to what to enjoy is stop alltogether habits coming from roadbikes.
That worked for me when I had both sportbike and big dualsport and that works for me with Tiger 800XC. Namely - ride it mix of supermoto and a bit like big dirtbike. Then everything falls in place. No heavy handling, no lack of feedback...
My recent rides in Eiffel area in Germany and 2500 km on Norway twisties proved it to be probably best approach (for me) to riding tiger aggressively.
Add: And in my impression after quite a few tesrides of 1050 that "technique" won't work for it or for any other of road bikes I tried. It did work well for SMT990 we exchanged with my friend on Norway ride for couple of hundred kms...
Yeah, I've never owned a dirt bike. I've strictly been asphalt, with extensive experience on the race track. I've got a lot to learn about the dirt and have been thinking about taking a course. We have an OHV park, 5 miles away.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #14109
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha
 
dirtconnector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: shed out back, WNC
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
Windshields, Oil, and Tires....

Just kidding.

Picked up my new Tiger 800XC this week. Got a good deal on a demo machine. Intense orange with 500 miles on it. I am having some issues with the windshield and I'm hoping to experiment with it on the cheap. For now, i'm loving the machine. I know I'll miss my Street Triple some, but the Tiger is so much more versatile for me.

Anyway, another lady Tiger rider here.

Pics and reports to follow.
Congrats on your XC. I was at my dealer yesterday and my salesman told me he had only 3 left until February when the 2013s come out. He's been polling dealers trying to get more 2012s but he says the pool is drying up. Anyone who is thinking about buying me another one for Christmas better get on it.
__________________
I'm a low brow but I rock a little know how - Red Hot Chili Peppers
dirtconnector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #14110
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yeah, I've never owned a dirt bike. I've strictly been asphalt, with extensive experience on the race track. I've got a lot to learn about the dirt and have been thinking about taking a course. We have an OHV park, 5 miles away.
I must admit I owe this learning to my previous bike and one of my friends. My bike was huge 800cc dual sport thumper that I had modified heavily and made 2 sets of quick-changeable wheels for, 17" wides and 21-17 for dirt.
I was really struggling to connect with it on paved roads until my friend (who is unlike me experienced with sumo and dirt bikes) told me to try "different way" - and suddenly it clicked. So Tiger arrived on ready ground. A lot against my "sportbike" instincts thou. Still have to fight it sometimes. I am learning too.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #14111
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: New Hartford, CT
Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yeah, I've never owned a dirt bike. I've strictly been asphalt, with extensive experience on the race track. I've got a lot to learn about the dirt and have been thinking about taking a course. We have an OHV park, 5 miles away.
On my XC, instead of jamming on the brakes and throwing the bike over into corner like a sportbike, I found it's better to get off the brakes earlier and let it "fall" into the corner, and pick it back up with the throttle. In slower corners, ie: intersections etc, it seems to respond well to a dirtbike style turn, where you stay upright, but lean the bike underneath you. I even stick my foot out, more because it feels natural, than any other reason.

You could also raise the forks 5-10mm in the triple clamps. This quickens up the steering a bit. I raised mine about 5mm and cranked the rear preload (for my lard ass), and it balanced the bike out.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #14112
Windy Rider
Pussy Power
 
Windy Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ulverstone, Tasmania
Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
On my XC, instead of jamming on the brakes and throwing the bike over into corner like a sportbike, I found it's better to get off the brakes earlier and let it "fall" into the corner, and pick it back up with the throttle. In slower corners, ie: intersections etc, it seems to respond well to a dirtbike style turn, where you stay upright, but lean the bike underneath you. I even stick my foot out, more because it feels natural, than any other reason.

You could also raise the forks 5-10mm in the triple clamps. This quickens up the steering a bit. I raised mine about 5mm and cranked the rear preload (for my lard ass), and it balanced the bike out.
Yep that's how I do it,
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger xc

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #14113
JakeS
Yup
 
JakeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southbridge MA
Oddometer: 486
Im just going to slip this question in here..
What is the max weight capacity for the bike?

I ask this because while i was cleaning my k13gt i noticed it states theres a 1147lb max weight for bike plus rider and passenger. Just wondering what it is on the tiger
Thanks
Jake
__________________
JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #14114
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DirtyGS View Post
Im just going to slip this question in here..
What is the max weight capacity for the bike?
My Roadie's manual states:

210kg weight
225kg max payload

= 435kg = 959lbs.

Enough for my taste. After adding top case (~ 7kg with plate), side cases (~15kg with racks), crash bars, some other bits and pieces it leaves me with about 200kg payload. Easy going for me (72kg) + luggage. Or me, my wife, and luggage. But as my wife has her own bike (and as we are "normal sized"), I don't even think about stuff like that.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #14115
JakeS
Yup
 
JakeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southbridge MA
Oddometer: 486
Thank you..
__________________
JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014