Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #14101
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
The skid plate differently on the two model years. 2011 junk, 2012 better, 2013 worst yet.

I really have to try harder to not multi task. Talking on the phone texting another and typing reply's on ADV=Chinese.

Should have read, Skid plate mounts differently. The question is, where did I use that "mount" word? in text with mom or girlfriend? This could get interesting.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #14102
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
I really have to try harder to not multi task. Talking on the phone texting another and typing reply's on ADV=Chinese.

Should have read, Skid plate mounts differently. The question is, where did I use that "mount" word? in text with mom or girlfriend? This could get interesting.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #14103
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
The skid plate differently on the two model years. 2011 junk, 2012 better, 2013 worst yet.
I totally missed your error. I read right over it, as I guess I am another victim of multitasking...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #14104
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
After my own experience and that might not matter to you, if I were to pick up a bike far away from home I'd take a metric tool kit with me and give the bike a quick check on all important bolts, just to make sure nothing is loose before you leave.
+1 and I got my only flat with 20 miles on the odo. Fortunately it was sitting in my garage when I found it. At least bring a bicycle pump so you can do something if it's a slow leak.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #14105
woodlandstiger
Geaux Tiger

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
If you want to be prepared, then yes, make sure you are prepared for a flat. At least a patch kit and inflator and a pair of tire irons. And a 17mm allen for the front axle - stupid factory does not supply one with the bike so if you get a flat you're screwed. If it doesn't have a center stand you need an enduro-star or similar. Well, unless you're just gonna call AAA. Still a hassle though. Flats are not always convenient. Maybe there isn't even cell signal.

400 miles isn't that far though. Just fly and wing it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Cell phone, Credit card, and check the dealers QC. Any suggestions on power adapter to keep the iphone ready if i need it?
woodlandstiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #14106
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandstiger View Post
I am planning on a fly and ride to pick up my new XC. I have about a 400 mile return trip. I will be traveling pretty light. (no panniers or top case)

Any suggestions out there on "necessary" gear, tools , etc when picking up a new Tiger 800 xc from the dealer for a 400 mile ride home?
why fly and ride? there is a dealer in new orleans with a roadie and an xc on the floor.\something wrong with the dealer?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #14107
woodlandstiger
Geaux Tiger

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
why fly and ride? there is a dealer in new orleans with a roadie and an xc on the floor.\something wrong with the dealer?
I actually just moved back to Houston from New Orleans. i got a good deal at the dealership in new orleans, so i am riding it back to Houston. I guess i should update my profile.
woodlandstiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #14108
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
I actually just moved back to Houston from New Orleans. i got a good deal at the dealership in new orleans, so i am riding it back to Houston. I guess i should update my profile.
lol me too im in north carolina now. got my tiger there and had a couple of friends get ducks there. good dealer.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #14109
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Couple things I thought of but didn't want to say them since they're kinda obvious...

Vary the revs(downshift 1 or 2 gears once in a while) to make sure your breakin isn't mostly a constant rpm.

Keep an eye on the things that could be flubbed form the dealer on any new bike, but which might cost big on a first ride being an all day one: oil levels, tyre pressures, chain adjustment & lube, etc. Also I would just check some of the trim fasteners around the front plastics / radiator area in case any were left loose from shipping.

Hard to imagine an easier way to get to know a new bike than a nice long highway ride. Good luck and have fun. Try not to get too many speeding fines.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #14110
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
I am planning on a fly and ride to pick up my new XC. I have about a 400 mile return trip. I will be traveling pretty light. (no panniers or top case)

Any suggestions out there on "necessary" gear, tools , etc when picking up a new Tiger 800 xc from the dealer for a 400 mile ride home?
Bring a credit card to pay for gas. Enjoy
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #14111
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
I completed the 12,000 mile service yesterday, checked valve lash, replaced spark plugs and air filter. Valves all checked good, the exhaust were on the tighter side of the tolerance. Kind of hard to get the feeler gauges in the exhaust side.

The spark plugs definetly need replaced, the center electrodes are noticebly worn.

Air filter needed replaced. I ride about 95% road and 5% gravel.

I installed my new EP radiator guard while I had the plastics off.

Coolant change will be done before winter.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #14112
RichardU
Let's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I completed the 12,000 mile service yesterday
Thanks for the report. Were you able to reuse the gaskets?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #14113
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
15T counter sproket

We've talked about this before, but who is running a 15T counter sprocket and do you like it? I'll be due for a new on soon and wonder if it will help or hurt overall. My question is: will there be a significant slow speed improvement to counter act the RPM difference at highway speed on average? If you have experience with this gearing, please share your thoughts.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #14114
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Thanks for the report. Were you able to reuse the gaskets?
I bought a new gasket. Why risk an oil leak and all the time to fix?

A word of caution when removing the cam cover you need to be careful that the three locating dowels don't fall out and down the cam chain tunnel. I had one fall but it bounced and ended up on top of my skid plate. It took some searching along with some choice words to find it.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #14115
RichardU
Let's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
I bought a new gasket. Why risk an oil leak and all the time to fix?
Makes sense. That's what I did on my Tiger 1050. For anyone who is interested, Triumph makes an Engine Service Kit with all the parts required, available here: http://www.bikebandit.com/2012-trium...54268sch740855