Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #14116
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
Windshields, Oil, and Tires....

Just kidding.

Picked up my new Tiger 800XC this week. Got a good deal on a demo machine. Intense orange with 500 miles on it. I am having some issues with the windshield and I'm hoping to experiment with it on the cheap. For now, i'm loving the machine. I know I'll miss my Street Triple some, but the Tiger is so much more versatile for me.

Anyway, another lady Tiger rider here.

Pics and reports to follow.
Congrats on your XC. I was at my dealer yesterday and my salesman told me he had only 3 left until February when the 2013s come out. He's been polling dealers trying to get more 2012s but he says the pool is drying up. Anyone who is thinking about buying me another one for Christmas better get on it.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #14117
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yeah, I've never owned a dirt bike. I've strictly been asphalt, with extensive experience on the race track. I've got a lot to learn about the dirt and have been thinking about taking a course. We have an OHV park, 5 miles away.
I must admit I owe this learning to my previous bike and one of my friends. My bike was huge 800cc dual sport thumper that I had modified heavily and made 2 sets of quick-changeable wheels for, 17" wides and 21-17 for dirt.
I was really struggling to connect with it on paved roads until my friend (who is unlike me experienced with sumo and dirt bikes) told me to try "different way" - and suddenly it clicked. So Tiger arrived on ready ground. A lot against my "sportbike" instincts thou. Still have to fight it sometimes. I am learning too.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #14118
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yeah, I've never owned a dirt bike. I've strictly been asphalt, with extensive experience on the race track. I've got a lot to learn about the dirt and have been thinking about taking a course. We have an OHV park, 5 miles away.
On my XC, instead of jamming on the brakes and throwing the bike over into corner like a sportbike, I found it's better to get off the brakes earlier and let it "fall" into the corner, and pick it back up with the throttle. In slower corners, ie: intersections etc, it seems to respond well to a dirtbike style turn, where you stay upright, but lean the bike underneath you. I even stick my foot out, more because it feels natural, than any other reason.

You could also raise the forks 5-10mm in the triple clamps. This quickens up the steering a bit. I raised mine about 5mm and cranked the rear preload (for my lard ass), and it balanced the bike out.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #14119
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
On my XC, instead of jamming on the brakes and throwing the bike over into corner like a sportbike, I found it's better to get off the brakes earlier and let it "fall" into the corner, and pick it back up with the throttle. In slower corners, ie: intersections etc, it seems to respond well to a dirtbike style turn, where you stay upright, but lean the bike underneath you. I even stick my foot out, more because it feels natural, than any other reason.

You could also raise the forks 5-10mm in the triple clamps. This quickens up the steering a bit. I raised mine about 5mm and cranked the rear preload (for my lard ass), and it balanced the bike out.
Yep that's how I do it,

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #14120
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 484
Im just going to slip this question in here..
What is the max weight capacity for the bike?

I ask this because while i was cleaning my k13gt i noticed it states theres a 1147lb max weight for bike plus rider and passenger. Just wondering what it is on the tiger
Thanks
Jake
Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #14121
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DirtyGS View Post
Im just going to slip this question in here..
What is the max weight capacity for the bike?
My Roadie's manual states:

210kg weight
225kg max payload

= 435kg = 959lbs.

Enough for my taste. After adding top case (~ 7kg with plate), side cases (~15kg with racks), crash bars, some other bits and pieces it leaves me with about 200kg payload. Easy going for me (72kg) + luggage. Or me, my wife, and luggage. But as my wife has her own bike (and as we are "normal sized"), I don't even think about stuff like that.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #14122
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 484
Thank you..
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #14123
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Tiger done

I've got my Tiger where I want it, just in time for the BC Big Trailie Ride next week. Really looking forward to it.

New shoes

Only thing left to install will be some BarkBusters but I ran out of time.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #14124
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
Also consider shorter dogbone links on the rear suspension to raise it.... helps a lot on this bike's piss poor ground clearance.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #14125
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I've got my Tiger where I want it, just in time for the BC Big Trailie Ride next week. Really looking forward to it.

Touratech racks? How did you mount the cases?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #14126
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Touratech racks? How did you mount the cases?
Happy Trails with their pannier mount kits and Seahorse 720 cases. Posted it all a few pages back, please try to keep up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13935
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #14127
cug
--

Quote:
Happy Trails with their pannier mount kits and Seahorse 720 cases. Posted it all a few pages back, please try to keep up.
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I've seen it and have to admit I dismissed it immediately for being too wide for the space you get (for me personally of course).
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #14128
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I've seen it and have to admit I dismissed it immediately for being too wide for the space you get (for me personally of course).
It's OK, I'm using the space...

that's one of reason's I went this route, because they weren't as wide as most hard cases. Plus it kinda gives me a self imposed limit on what I can carry, which is a good thing. I love my DirtBagz on the DR but they aren't the most convenient and I just didn't want to be strapping/un-strapping bags this trip.

I have a tank bag installed and the option of throwing the Triumph tail bag on the back, I've got more storage than I've ever had on a bike before, last thing I'm feeling is cramped for space.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #14129
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
That's one of reason's I went this route, because they weren't as wide as most hard cases. Plus it kinda gives me a self imposed limit on what I can carry, which is a good thing. I love my DirtBagz on the DR but they aren't the most convenient and I just didn't want to be strapping/un-strapping bags this trip.

I have a tank bag installed and the option of throwing the Triumph tail bag on the back, I've got more storage than I've ever had on a bike before, last thing I'm feeling is cramped for space.
Same setup here, plus another 720 for a topbox. I used them and liked them on the Versys, so just got new racks and carried them over to the Tiger. With a roll-top drybag on the pillion there's space for gear for extended trips, weekenders without the bag . With really compact backpack gear there is plenty of room. Total width is about 39".

The HT racks are hell for stout, but I could'a gave them a lesson or two on engineering them better for this bike. The biggest disappointment is the right side forward attach point - precludes running an aftermarket exhaust. Not to mention the stupid width.

My maiden voyage a month or so ago...

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #14130
cug
--

Quote:
that's one of reason's I went this route, because they weren't as wide as most hard cases. Plus it kinda gives me a self imposed limit on what I can carry, which is a good thing.
Yeah, understood. I keep coming back to potentially buying a set of 31L balanced Metal Mules for similar reasons. They are just 89cm wide, 31 liter top loading each side, kind of okay looking frames when the cases are off, easy to attach the cases, rock solid (but hell breaks loose when you bent one of the boxes or the attachment mechanism ... no way of pounding them back in shape), good locks.

The unfortunate part is the price. With balanced frames and the Scorpion exhaust I was quoted slightly below 2k. That's pretty stiff considering that the Scorpion can is normally around $300 to $350. The price is why I haven't bought anything yet and still look around what to do. I just don't want to go any wider than 92cm as this is roughly the max width in the front (93cm mirrors, 92cm bark busters). I hate wide loads, they affect handling, make lane splitting harder, I might start touching things at gas stations, and so on.

One question to you guys using Pelican cases: How well do (full case) liners work if you use them? Do you easily pinch them or are they easy to get in and out of the side loading cases?