User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #14206
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Top of Engineer Pass

Top of Engineer Pass, 26 Aug. Fully loaded Tiger not the best for the trip up from Lake City!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #14207
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post

Top of Engineer Pass, 26 Aug. Fully loaded Tiger not the best for the trip up from Lake City!
In what way was it not ideal?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #14208
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkt View Post
Can the tigerr 800 gas tank fit on the tiger 800xc without modifications (aside from using the stock 800xc fittings/plastics)?
Has anyone tried this?
Everything exactly the same - Tanks, plastics the lot. Only reason for swapping would be if you are a prince amongst men and wanted a Venom Yellow XC, and were too lazy to have your tank resprayed.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #14209
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Tanks

Tis true,
I am that lazy prince. I am bored of white.
forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #14210
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
In what way was it not ideal?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
How is it not ideal??? In the same what that driving a Hummer around Laguna Seca is not ideal. Having done most of the passes out in that area on my DRZ, I can relate...glad I had it and not my Tiger. Nothing you can't do on the Tiger, it's just a lot more work and a lot less fun.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #14211
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Everything exactly the same - Tanks, plastics the lot. Only reason for swapping would be if you are a prince amongst men and wanted a Venom Yellow XC, and were too lazy to have your tank resprayed.

+1 I would love to do this. Anyone want to swap?

I got a white one. It's okay. But I REALLY like the venom yellow. I have been unable to locate matching paint anywhere. Usually Colorite has all the factory paint matches but not this one. Maybe I'll have my local paint shop match it close, re-shoot it myself, get the roadie decals and clear over them. I'd still have to locate a roadie to have it matched. That might be just as difficult.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #14212
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
been gone a wile, lots of new faces... anything new and exciting?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #14213
forkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Tank

Could probably get the touch up paint and have that matched, at a local paint n spray. Price wise that is definately the way to go, rather than drop 500 on a new tank. Particularly when the new rally tank is so close to being released (this month if i'm not mistaken) and I definately need to get that, rather than just wanting a sexy color to spice up the ride..
forkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #14214
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkt View Post
Could probably get the touch up paint and have that matched, at a local paint n spray. Price wise that is definately the way to go, rather than drop 500 on a new tank. Particularly when the new rally tank is so close to being released (this month if i'm not mistaken) and I definately need to get that, rather than just wanting a sexy color to spice up the ride..

The dealer has touch-up paint?

But yeah, a pint of color and a quart of clear urethane is probaby about $75. I've been doing paint work for 35 years, so that's no problem.

I'll wait 'till I get bored with it. That might take awhile...the riding is more fun and entertaining than what color it is.

browneye screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 09:25 AM
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #14215
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Bored of white... I haven't even picked up my White XC yet and I'm already scheming to paint it! I'm thinking of the Ducati Race Titanium Matte for the tank and fender and Chevy engine block Orange powdercoat for the frame. Winter Project!

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #14216
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL8APEX View Post
Bored of white... I haven't even picked up my White XC yet and I'm already scheming to paint it! I'm thinking of the Ducati Race Titanium Matte for the tank and fender and Chevy engine block Orange powdercoat for the frame. Winter Project!

-Tom
Oh that sounds right up my alley. Can't wait to see it.

mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #14217
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
How is it not ideal??? In the same what that driving a Hummer around Laguna Seca is not ideal. Having done most of the passes out in that area on my DRZ, I can relate...glad I had it and not my Tiger. Nothing you can't do on the Tiger, it's just a lot more work and a lot less fun.

Cheers,
That's why I own the T800 Roadie and a DRZ. I don't even think of trying things I usually do on the DRZ. If i owned the XC, I would probably give it a thought.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #14218
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
That's why I own the T800 Roadie and a DRZ. I don't even think of trying things I usually do on the DRZ. If i owned the XC, I would probably give it a thought.
I test drove both the Roadie and the XC and for me, the XC didn't give up anything in terms of street riding. Now for a track day, yeah, of course, but then a Roadie isn't exactly a track day bike, either.

When I can drag the pegs or the side stand on the XC, what more do I want on a big dual-sport??? The only fault I find with the 21" wheel on the road is when it comes to hard braking, it just doesn't have the bite, especially if you aren't fully whoa'd down before you start your turn. Granted, I'm still on the stock BattleWing's and all that will change when I go to a more off-road oriented set later.

Bottom line, I think the Roadie gives up more off-road than the XC gives up on-road, but to each their own.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #14219
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Recently got back from riding my XC over the Trans-Labrador Highway and through Newfoundland. The bike performed great both on the Trans-Lab gravel and on the long paved stretches in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Ride report here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823825

I ran an IRC TR8 front tire, similar to a TKC-80 but with a slightly more open tread pattern, and a Full Bore M-40 rear. Both worked great and wore very well. I set up the XC with Wolfman panniers on Givi racks, a Rotopax 2-gallon gas container mounted to a CJ Designs tail rack, and Twisted Throttle DrySpec tail luggage on top of that.

I did have the idle stalling issue twice on the Trans-Lab. The first time, I simply gave the bike a little throttle as I started it and rode off, and on the way I got thoroughly rained on. Next time I started the bike, it started right up, so the rain must have rinsed away whatever dust was gumming up the works. Second time I had the issue, I gave the offending rod actuated by the stepper motor a squirt of WD40; no more problems.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #14220
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I ran an IRC TR8 front tire, similar to a TKC-80 but with a slightly more open tread pattern, and a Full Bore M-40 rear. Both worked great and wore very well. I set up the XC with Wolfman panniers on Givi racks, a Rotopax 2-gallon gas container mounted to a CJ Designs tail rack, and Twisted Throttle DrySpec tail luggage on top of that.

that CJ rack is a good one, eh?