ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #14221
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Recently got back from riding my XC over the Trans-Labrador Highway and through Newfoundland. The bike performed great both on the Trans-Lab gravel and on the long paved stretches in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Ride report here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823825

I ran an IRC TR8 front tire, similar to a TKC-80 but with a slightly more open tread pattern, and a Full Bore M-40 rear. Both worked great and wore very well. I set up the XC with Wolfman panniers on Givi racks, a Rotopax 2-gallon gas container mounted to a CJ Designs tail rack, and Twisted Throttle DrySpec tail luggage on top of that.


I did have the idle stalling issue twice on the Trans-Lab. The first time, I simply gave the bike a little throttle as I started it and rode off, and on the way I got thoroughly rained on. Next time I started the bike, it started right up, so the rain must have rinsed away whatever dust was gumming up the works. Second time I had the issue, I gave the offending rod actuated by the stepper motor a squirt of WD40; no more problems.

--mark


I'm curious Mark as to why you put all that weight that far back
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #14222
av_mech
Risk Taker
 
av_mech's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
been gone a wile, lots of new faces... anything new and exciting?
Did you ever write a ride report from your trip?
__________________
2011 Triumph 800 XC
2007 Honda CRF 250X
1994 Kawasaki KLX 650R

THE ADVENTURES OF TYSON AND HOBBES
THE BACKCOUNTRY PURSUIT- Boise, Idaho's consignment specialist for ADV gear!
av_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #14223
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
I test drove both the Roadie and the XC and for me, the XC didn't give up anything in terms of street riding. Now for a track day, yeah, of course, but then a Roadie isn't exactly a track day bike, either.
To me, this is the crux of the delemma between the two models. I'm so glad I got the XC I could just shit little green apples.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post


I'm curious Mark as to why you put all that weight that far back

My guess is that he's got a pillion, or there's not much weight in the top bags and he wears a backpack. It were me I'd wear a smaller backpack or none, and put the top bag on the pillion seat. Or even put the larger bag on the pillion and the smaller bag on the rotopax. Balance it out, so to speak.

Extra gas is cool if you need it, or water. Water for a sunshower in a remote camp is the shiznit. I carry a mini soft cooler that holds three beverages, so I have cold beer when I get to camp. My backpack is just a hydration pack, the rest goes on the bike. In this case I have room for a giant sleeping pad. Normally I would bring a more compact one but on this bike there is extra room.

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith

browneye screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 05:16 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #14224
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunson View Post
At 20,000 kms I changed the rear pads with about 20% life left. I replaced them with EBC semi-sintered and it took a few days to 'break' them in. My apologies for the unavoidable pun!
dod you have a part # for the ones you got? Dealer says 10 days from Triumph
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #14225
Bad-Tat
800 XC
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Cumming, Ga
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
In what way was it not ideal?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
As Tom said, it's just a bit heavy to be horsing up the upper sections of Engineer and Cinnimon Passes. Bike did fine but this old guy was breathing pretty hard at the top!
__________________
Bill

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #14226
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post
As Tom said, it's just a bit heavy to be horsing up the upper sections of Engineer and Cinnimon Passes. Bike did fine but this old guy was breathing pretty hard at the top!
I'm not expert but I always find the limit is me, not the XC. 100.0% of the time. If I was really good I expect I would be more or less tired after the same tracks covered, depending on how well I applied the bike to the trail, vs other smaller bikes. And when riding with other XCs I still find myself bringing up the rear more than anything else. So I have room to grow there.

I bought a new Husaberg to make it easier for me, and less costly to try more risky things... but I am quite sure that the limit will be me until I get to a point where everything I want to do does not overly worry me. I want to get to the point that I'm 90% sure about anything I might feel like pointing the bike at. And have fun getting to that point!

Once I get to that point, I am again the limit -- intentionally limiting my arse clowning to keep the risks of death and dismemberment slightly reduced.
__________________
Lusting for: Hoping that 2015 Tiger XC will be rev 2
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2011 Tiger 800 XC -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #14227
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
I'm not expert but I always find the limit is me, not the XC. 100.0% of the time. If I was really good I expect I would be more or less tired after the same tracks covered, depending on how well I applied the bike to the trail, vs other smaller bikes. And when riding with other XCs I still find myself bringing up the rear more than anything else. So I have room to grow there.

I bought a new Husaberg to make it easier for me, and less costly to try more risky things... but I am quite sure that the limit will be me until I get to a point where everything I want to do does not overly worry me. I want to get to the point that I'm 90% sure about anything I might feel like pointing the bike at. And have fun getting to that point!

Once I get to that point, I am again the limit -- intentionally limiting my arse clowning to keep the risks of death and dismemberment slightly reduced.
Best thing I learned with respect to riding dirt is to go at my own pace. Everyone I ride with is better than me and once I accepted that and rode my own pace (which they are all fine with - I'm not that much slower) I enjoyed it so much more. Trying to keep up with others and bashing my brains out sucked...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #14228
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Any idea what the windscreen setup is on the Husky?
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #14229
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
How is it not ideal??? In the same what that driving a Hummer around Laguna Seca is not ideal. Having done most of the passes out in that area on my DRZ, I can relate...glad I had it and not my Tiger. Nothing you can't do on the Tiger, it's just a lot more work and a lot less fun.

Cheers,
You're right but you don't have that sense of achievement by doing it on the DRZ because you're expected to whizz up there.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 31000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #14230
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
the riding is more fun and entertaining than what color it is.
Mud/dirt colour is always the best colour.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 31000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #14231
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm curious Mark as to why you put all that weight that far back
The DrySpec bags were packed with the lighter stuff -- clothes, camping gear, etc -- while the heavier stuff like tools, cooking gear, and so on lived in the Wolfman panniers. And I put the CJ Designs rack into its rearmost position so that I could still remove the pillion seat if I needed to get to something underneath it... which I did a couple times.

Also, I ended up needing to carry an additional gas can on the pillion seat for my buddy on his DR-Z400.


And I just don't like the feeling of having stuff press up against my back, so I would not want the large DrySpec bag on the pillion seat. Next trip I might put the smaller one there instead of on top of the larger one; we'll see.

The luggage and gas did make the bike a bit top-heavy, but not too bad.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014

markbvt screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 10:26 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #14232
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The DrySpec bags were packed with the lighter stuff -- clothes, camping gear, etc -- while the heavier stuff like tools, cooking gear, and so on lived in the Wolfman panniers. And I put the CJ Designs rack into its rearmost position so that I could still remove the pillion seat if I needed to get to something underneath it... which I did a couple times.

Also, I ended up needing to carry an additional gas can on the pillion seat for my buddy on his DR-Z400.


--mark
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #14233
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Any idea what the windscreen setup is on the Husky?
That's ADV inmate johngil on his TE630. I have one too. When the bike was brand new I loaned it to TCI Products USA to use for prototype accessory items, windshield brackets, skidplate, cargo and pannier racks, headlight guard, and mastercylinder guard. https://tciproductsusa.com

Here's a close-up of that windshield on mine.




Fully adventurized TE630 (sorry for the thread-jack ) I didn't use the TCI pannier racks on mine, opting for Dirtbagz instead. This one has seen a LOT of miles now. It goes where the Tiger can't, but the Tiger is SO much nicer to ride over long distance.


__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #14234
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
That's ADV inmate johngil on his TE630. I have one too. When the bike was brand new I loaned it to TCI Products USA to use for prototype accessory items, windshield brackets, skidplate, cargo and pannier racks, headlight guard, and mastercylinder guard. https://tciproductsusa.com

Here's a close-up of that windshield on mine.

Fully adventurized TE630 (sorry for the thread-jack ) I didn't use the TCI pannier racks on mine, opting for Dirtbagz instead. This one has seen a LOT of miles now. It goes where the Tiger can't, but the Tiger is SO much nicer to ride over long distance.
Oh wow! Thanks, for all that.

While demo riding the 800, I got to looking at a TE250 and talking about the new 650s coming down the line. I thought if only I could get a Husky to be more distance-worthy, I might just keep my Tiger 1050. I do have KLR lust, but, want something that's lighter and the 800 could fill both roles. Considered a WRR, too. My buddy has a TE310 and 640 Adventure, so I'll have to see what the future holds. Thanks, again.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #14235
fmunson
Adventurer
 
fmunson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: In da woods, NL, Canada
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
dod you have a part # for the ones you got? Dealer says 10 days from Triumph
check your inbox for a PM with details. Ebay link which some may consider spam, spam and more spam
fmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014