Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #14296
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Why did you discount the Arrow? Mine is great.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #14297
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

A 23% slope on a gravel road?!?! Dang.....
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #14298
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
A 23% slope on a gravel road?!?! Dang.....
Yeah it was a steep sumbitch, I wish I would have gotten a pic of the gps screen as we headed down.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #14299
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Why did you discount the Arrow? Mine is great.
I am big fan of Arrow. Had them on all my bikes. But...
It's too big. E.g. it practically does not give any space saving.
My main objective is to build pannier rack to have width at the rear (with bags or panniers) to match handlebar width. And it must be symmetrical.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #14300
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
My main objective is to build pannier rack to have width at the rear (with bags or panniers) to match handlebar width. And it must be symmetrical.
I fail to see how you're going to do this on a bike with high exhaust. The bike is about 18" wide to begin with, and panniers are at least16" wide just for the boxes. That's handlebar width right there, with no allowance for racks.

I'm not big fan of the happy trails racks I've got, and the width is one of the reasons - about 39". And they are symetrical, which I find silly - way too much space on the left side. Looking at it another way, that's just 2" wider than the bars - hardly significant.

Check out Wolfman. I like the way they setup their racks, and they work with hard cases or their softbags.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #14301
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I fail to see how you're going to do this on a bike with high exhaust. The bike is about 18" wide to begin with, and panniers are at least16" wide just for the boxes. That's handlebar width right there, with no allowance for racks.

I'm not big fan of the happy trails racks I've got, and the width is one of the reasons - about 39". And they are symetrical, which I find silly - way too much space on the left side. Looking at it another way, that's just 2" wider than the bars - hardly significant.

Check out Wolfman. I like the way they setup their racks, and they work with hard cases or their softbags.
Well...I will do it like I did it to all my bikes before...Wolfmans are nice, but I do not want chromoly racks and they are really wide.
I did it to Honda VTR1000F (80 cm wide with panniers) and Suzuki DR800 (85 cm wide).

When you limited only by how many welding sticks and time you have - it's possible. Not easy, but possible.

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r.../MyDR800Feb10/

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r...ip/VTRluggage/

Metal Mule does symmetrical racks that with narrow panniers that result in 90 cm overall width...but costs are astronomical just like any "full set with aluminium panniers" on the market. I just can't afford 1200 euros system.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #14302
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
Get it with the relay kit. All EasternBeaver stuff is really well made. 30A is more than adequate.
Battery leads - -ve +6 inches. The battery orientation has the -ve towards the front of the bike.
You only need a posi tap for the switched relay feed. I tend to solder everything else. He does some nice connectors on his 3 circuit solution.
No need for a diode.
Stuffed mine down the side of the ecu.
Thanks KildareMan, that is helpful. I am wondering if the uni filter; I have on order will interefere with placement of the pc-8 as you have described it. I am not too clear where you have yours.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #14303
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Okay, very preliminary review of the Traxxion AK-20 cartridges in my Tiger Roadie.

Q: Will I do the rear?

You bet. It will have to wait a while as I have just spend a large amount of money in luggage and front suspension, but I will do it once a rear shock assembly is available that is affordable and adjustable in the same values as my new front.
I ordered a Penske 8983 rear shock for my Roadie. I was having rebound trouble with the stock shock. Also I wanted some ride height adjustment without messing around with the dog bones. Unfortunately I had to send the shock back to rectify two problems. The spring that was mounted on the shock was way too soft. Even with lots of preload I wasn't able to get the sag numbers I wanted. Second problem was the rebound adjuster had no "clicks"; it was just freewheeling without any noticeable adjustment available. I am not sure if the nitrogen leaked out or not. Anyway, Mike at Traxxion was very helpful and I'm sure they'll fix the problem. I shipped it back on Monday directly to Penske at their charge, so we'll see how it is when I get it back. I have the same shock on my CBR929 trackday bike and it is works very well. Don't know what happened with this one, but they'll get it right. Maybe I am the test-dummy and this is their first shock for the Tiger 800.

Saving up for the AK-20 kit to be done over the winter months.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #14304
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I ordered a Penske 8983 rear shock for my Roadie.
That one is at the upper end of what I'm willing to spend on the rear. But it has to wait for spring. I'll need some things done later this year that will prevent me from riding for at least six to eight weeks, so it will make no sense doing it right before I'm out of commission.

I will take a long and hard look at Wilbers components if they have something in six months or so.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #14305
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Finally...

I'm in!

Picked up my new leftover '11 XC w/ ABS today at Motorworks Chicago. Special thanks to Chris (sales manager) and Derek (parts and accessories) for making everything flow so smoothly. Great people!

I traded my 2010 Streetfighter for it, someone is going to get a fantastic motorcycle in that one.

Pics will come as I begin to mount the accessories!

-Tom
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #14306
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That one is at the upper end of what I'm willing to spend on the rear. But it has to wait for spring. I'll need some things done later this year that will prevent me from riding for at least six to eight weeks, so it will make no sense doing it right before I'm out of commission.

I will take a long and hard look at Wilbers components if they have something in six months or so.
The price was a little less then what they show on the website. It came in at $805 I believe. Pretty reasonable I think.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #14307
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Well...I will do it like I did it to all my bikes before...Wolfmans are nice, but I do not want chromoly racks and they are really wide.
I did it to Honda VTR1000F (80 cm wide with panniers) and Suzuki DR800 (85 cm wide).

When you limited only by how many welding sticks and time you have - it's possible. Not easy, but possible.

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r.../MyDR800Feb10/

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/r...ip/VTRluggage/

Metal Mule does symmetrical racks that with narrow panniers that result in 90 cm overall width...but costs are astronomical just like any "full set with aluminium panniers" on the market. I just can't afford 1200 euros system.

Those look great

Narrow bikes for narrow roads, eh??
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #14308
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:

For the record my friend Andy is the guy that posted the pics of the Mivv pipe. I have an arrow pipe (which i love) but the mivv is materially smaller, it barely sticks out past the turn signals. He told me he will take more pictures with a tape measure - just ask him what you want measured and i'm sure he will put it up for you. It's a nice pipe I'll say that, but it is a slip on. I prefer the one piece arrow myself. Price is about the same.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #14309
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

That's where you mount your tool tube.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #14310
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post

Hi Guys,

Just ordered a Stebel Horn, and will want to tidy up my wiring. I really hate all those ring connectors haning of my battery.
  • battery tender
  • heated vest
  • gps
  • horn
  • etc...

So I am looking at an Easter Beaver PC-8
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...PC-8/pc-8.html

I am wondering if any tiger owners have installed one of these and can help me out with maybe a pic of where they installed it, how they like it. Also there are so many options on that page when it comes to ordering one. If someone can help me out. Do I want the PC-8 alone or with the 30A relay kit or the short one, or the 50A version?

Other questions needed for ordering
  • battery lead lengths, equal or pos lead +6 inches ?
  • posi taps?
  • protective diode
  • mounting options?

Sorry for all the questions, I am hoping someone has been down this road and can share some guidance.

Thanks in advance
I ordered and received a Fuzeblock a while back and ended up returning it for multiple reasons. Primarily I was concerned about water intrusion and ease/difficulty of locating and having to replace fuses potentially. I ended up purchasing a PDM60 from Rocketmoto. (A side note, Rocketmoto is running a special for ADV members, coupon code GIMME-A-PDM60). As always, their service was outstanding!!!

The PDM60 handles up to 60amps over 6 circuits. There is a standard configuration that is normally ships with but every one of the 6 channels is completely programmable (bike switched, additional switch switched, always on, timed, etc)

There is soooo much information about it, go to the Rowe Electronics website and look for the PDM60.

http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules

The programming can only be done by a dealer I was informed originally. I then got hooked up with Rowe Electronics (builder of the PDM60) and purchased the programming tools so I could program my own or others'. Seems there is no one in the northwestern US that is a dealer to do this, so programming would have involved shipping it out and back again. Rowe was awesome with their help in getting me going, although programming needed a special programmer purchased as they are not really designed for consumer setup.

The great thing about the PDM60, aside from completely water, shock, everything proof, is that it is solid state and electronically fused. If you trip a circuit, you just shut off the bike, turn it back on and if the fault is corrected, the circuit comes live again.

I am just designing a complete installation for my Tiger800. It will include the PDM60, which I am mounting back in the tail section where there is unusable space. Then I am adding a USB port, power for my Zumo 660 and heated gear circuits, all with the PDM60 being programmed for specific amperages on each circuit. Planning on posting up a step-by-step once I get it all going in a few weeks.

I've nothing against the Eastern Beaver products, which all appear well made and have a loyal following. My decision to go this route was primarily based on waterproofness, convenience of use and being able to mount it where I will not need access to it.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote