Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #14386
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Christ, because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for others. Some of us do think it is a big issue.

The difference in down time on the trail between a flat rear with and without a tube is signficant. Most of us are out to ride, not struggle with a PITA tube. And until they came out with an announcement of actual tubeless wired wheel on a Triumph it isn't any shit that has been gone over before, because the shit didn't exist to go over until it was announced.

And when it is your bike that is totaled due to what would otherwise be a mild low side slide the issue of the pillion peg design will become a pretty big issue.

Your opinion of an issue being big or not is not the sole determinant of whether or not it is.
This subject has been beaten to death many many times. That was my point. Live with it or do something about it (as some have) but please, stop going on about it.

I've never had a puncture in all my time riding dirt (small and big dirt bikes) and when I do, I'll deal with and not bitch and moan and as for the frame, I have fully comp so if they total it, I could give a shit.

As I say, these 2 subjects have been gone over so many times - it is what it is so live with it or buy something else.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #14387
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
AAARrrrrgggghhhh Broken throttle cable, pull side. Out of stock till who knows when.
I would move the push cable over to the pull side & ride. I don't know if it's possible, but I rode my DRZ for 15,000 miles without the push cable. Just be sure to use both ends in the throttle housing.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #14388
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
As I say, these 2 subjects have been gone over so many times ...
They have been gone over repeatedly ... and that fact has now also been gone over repeatedly.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #14389
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
AAARrrrrgggghhhh Broken throttle cable, pull side. Out of stock till who knows when.
Oh man, that sucks. Did you get stranded somewhere or were you at home. I think I may go ahead and order some cables to have on hand considering Triumph North America's shitty stocking policy.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #14390
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Oh man, that sucks. Did you get stranded somewhere or were you at home. I think I may go ahead and order some cables to have on hand considering Triumph North America's shitty stocking policy.
Good idear... I usually always have a spare clutch cable at the house for my bikes, but I don't think I've ever even replaced a throttle cable. Never have bikes long enough!
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #14391
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Good idear... I usually always have a spare clutch cable at the house for my bikes, but I don't think I've ever even replaced a throttle cable. Never have bikes long enough!
I broke a throttle grip, the internal "ear" where the pull cable hooks in... I blame Triumph. So fun to twist the fackinell out of these things that I was FORCED to do it!!!
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #14392
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I would move the push cable over to the pull side & ride. I don't know if it's possible, but I rode my DRZ for 15,000 miles without the push cable. Just be sure to use both ends in the throttle housing.
Could do that, but in order to do so tank must come off and Airbox must be removed. Then bolt it all back up only to do it again when the parts come in. Don't think I'll do that. If I did not have a ride home in the back of a pickup truck from the mini rally, that is exactly what I would have had to do.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #14393
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Can I suggest that you run the spare cable alongside the existing one. There's plenty of room because I've done it already. I learnt the hard way. Having one at home when you're 300 miles away when it breaks is absolutely no good at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #14394
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Can I suggest that you run the spare cable alongside the existing one. There's plenty of room because I've done it already. I learnt the hard way. Having one at home when you're 300 miles away when it breaks is absolutely no good at all.
The Tiger comes with a spare throttle cable. It's two wire system one pushes one pulls. All you have to do is switch them if you break the pull side. That said, it is a royal pain in the ass to do so.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #14395
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
The Tiger comes with a spare throttle cable. It's two wire system one pushes one pulls. All you have to do is switch them if you break the pull side. That said, it is a royal pain in the ass to do so.
That's definitely a 'get you home solution' but I wonder why there is both push and pull on the Tigger ? I know on the big thumpers (or any bike with high compression I guess ?) my understanding is there is both since at WOT, the compression is such that it will stop a throttle slide from closing thus resulting in a safety issue - is that the case here ? Is it just mandated that every bike, with throttle cables I guess I need to say these days, there are both push and pull ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #14396
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That's definitely a 'get you home solution' but I wonder why there is both push and pull on the Tigger
It is a safety feature. The throttle closing cable is there to enable the rider to manually close the throttle in case the throttle return spring malfunctions or sticks.

Many riders I know remove the closing cable on their track bikes (as did I) and some even remove them from their street bikes. I leave mine intact for bikes not used for the racetrack.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #14397
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It is a safety feature. The throttle closing cable is there to enable the rider to manually close the throttle in case the throttle return spring malfunctions or sticks.

Many riders I know remove the closing cable on their track bikes (as did I) and some even remove them from their street bikes. I leave mine intact for bikes not used for the racetrack.
I understand what the cable is for, I was just wondering why it's there (if you get my drift ?) Is this a DOT thing (i.e. do all new bikes have them ?) I'm just trying to figure out what the risk is of removing it (has anybody had a return spring snap on them - can the Tigger compression keep the slide from sliding ?) -I had a DRZ once that I rode for quite a while with no pull cable (un-beknown to me, it has snapped at the carb end and there's a little cover on the DRZ so it was hidden away.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #14398
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
You'd need to remove the tank and airbox to get to the lower end of the cables. A RRPITA
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #14399
rh2yadv
Ow!

Oddometer: 45
Stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Tim View Post
I took these pics at Cascade Moto in Beaverton OR this afternoon:

rh2yadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #14400
swimmer