Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #14461
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The news article is here.

I find it ironic that Jeff Gerbing is touting what a great thing they're doing, with bringing production back to the US. However, they're forgetting to state the obvious negatives of them moving production to China, in the first place.
You can blame capitalism for that - at least give the guy some kudos for wanting to bring it back to the US though.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #14462
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
The news article is here.

I find it ironic that Jeff Gerbing is touting what a great thing they're doing, with bringing production back to the US. However, they're forgetting to state the obvious negatives of them moving production to China, in the first place.

There is a huge wave of this by US manufacturers. With fuel costs so high shipping has become a huge factor. Plus lead times or 'concept to product' times are so long that a LOT of them are coming back. In many cases the global market has expanded so the bigger companies are keeping the china factory but re-opening here as well. Ford made the news for this strategy.

I admire all you cold-weather riders. I've never used heated wear. When it gets below 45 or so I stay home. I'm not a very good adventurer.
Being in southern California helps.

browneye screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 09:45 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #14463
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Browneye, I used to be like you, dreaded going riding if the temperature was below 50.( which it is many winter mornings here in Florida)
But I got the Gerbings about two years ago due to some arthritis in my hands and it has changed my life. Now I look forward to chilly mornings. Many times it will be below 50 but I know it's going up to the 70's so I wear my mesh jacket with the electric liner underneath and take it off at lunch.. Very comfortable.

Took a trip up to Tennessee last November where it was near freezing in the mornings, and never got above 45 during the day. With the heated liner and gloves, and the outer shell of a riding jacket , I was happy as a clam. The engine heat took care of the lower extremities.

Another place heated gear shines in riding in the mountains, Turn it up in the elevations, turn it off when in the valleys.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #14464
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Mercury264 sez:

"You can blame capitalism for that - at least give the guy some kudos for wanting to bring it back to the US though"

Yea yea, capitalism gets tthe blame blah blah....

Why doesn't capitalism get the credit for the jobs returning? It is starting to happen enough the business press is reporting on the trend. And it is not only the cost of shipping. Productivity in the US remains extremely high, productivity in China sucks, always has. Product quality, same deal.... Add rising wages in China and a bit more labor unrest than gets reported and quite a number of companies are doing the math and discovering it doesn't add up anymore.

And that that doesn't even take the amount of inventory on the water or in a warehouse at any given time. Building in China then shipping around the world is no longer highly profitable...so like many good capitalist...they begin to move product to where it makes sense to make something that isn't illegal...profit. And surprisingly, for an increasing number of products, that place happens to be in the US......
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #14465
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury264 View Post
you can blame capitalism for that - at least give the guy some kudos for wanting to bring it back to the us though.
+1
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #14466
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy rider View Post
wow that was a lot more responses than i expected. Thanks everyone for the info. Given what I have learned i think will go with the jacket liner, gloves, and first gear thermo suit. Still have to make up my mind on the brand for the jacket and gloves. Gerbling seems expensive compared to first gear, but i am wondering if its a you get what you pay for type relationship. The part that annoys me is that growing up in IL I know i could be riding up in a tshirt or be riding through 6in of snow.
If you do go the full jacket liner, just make sure you test the arms by bending and paying attention to your elbows. My wife and I both have the very old school heated vests with the wires running through them. I tried a full jacket liner but the wires would rub and actually hurt whenever you bent your arm. I'm sure the newer gear with the very thin wires would be fine.

I can't pry my wife's heated vest out of her cold hands, but frankly I haven't used mine in about 3 years. My body doesn't get cold just my hands, so heated grips are my *must have*. I also have Gerbings heated gloves but haven't used them since moving from the frozen prairies of Canada to the warmer west. I only needed the heated gloves when commuting to work in -12C temps. At that temp the heated grips don't even begin to warm up.

Our vests are old school with simply an on/off switch and I don't even know why my wife has a switch cause her's is always ON.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #14467
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,703
Only thing I can add is my logic on heated gloves. If you ride a lot they will wear out and then you've got to throw away all that electrical stuff.
With heated grips (which you can take off the bike when you sell it on) you can wear any gloves you like. And, with some decent hand guards on the bike, the backs of your hands don't get the cold wind blast.
I find that I use my heated grips on chilly summer evenings here in the UK when I've started off in thin summer gloves. Can't do that if you've left your heated gloves at home.

For the body I too use a heated jacket liner, with heated sleeves. Mine is from Gialli which was taken over by a company called KHS (probably gone under as well now??). Had it for years and it still works fine except the heat troller broke last year so I had to buy their new one which had different plugs. So out with the soldering iron.

blacktiger screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 12:22 PM
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #14468
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,192
Heated grips. Thinnish GoreTex gloves (love warm n dry) & Outlast liners.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #14469
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Heated gear really changes the riding experience. I'll never again own a bike without the ability to run it.
Couldn't agree more.

But that said, I'm apparently a little more minimalist than most. I'm fine with just a heated vest and heated grips. As long as my core is toasty warm and my hands are comfortable, my arms don't get very cold, nor do my legs. I actually really enjoy going for rides when it's in the 20s and 30s out provided the roads are dry.

Was out for an early spring ride once with a friend and we stopped at a gas station to take a quick break and have some coffee. We stood there chatting for a moment, drinking our coffee, and the wind was whipping along, and after a few minutes of that one of us turned to the other and said, "Brr, it's cold out here! Let's get back on the bikes where it's warm!"

Yeah, I love electrics.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #14470
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Heated Gear

I use the Tour Master Synergy 2.0 Jacket for two years now and it works great. They have a full line including gloves, chaps and insoles if you want to go whole hog.

I find the Jacket, with the OEM heated grips sufficient, but I also have the Verseo rechargeable thermo soles. They don't get super hot, but enough to keep the chill off and they last about 6 hours. I use them for snowboarding also for which they are great having their own battery source.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #14471
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
I was thinking about heated glove liners as a good solution. Fit of the heavier outer glove would take some care, but it seems one could get just the type of features wanted in the gloves, and still have the benefit of heat as well.
On a side note, I rode a Vstrom 650 a couple of weeks ago, which was my first experience on a bike with longer travel suspension. Compared to my Triumph Legend street bike, the ride was much smoother over the rougher roads in Vermont. I am sure that the suspension on the 800XC must be even better than the Vstrom, so I can really see that having more comfortable suspension over the rougher roads which are becoming more common in the northeast (our states have no money) would be a real plus. Still thinking about 800XC versus TEX or maybe even a Trophy. Oh well, two more years to decide.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #14472
Farmer Tim
Farmer Tim

Oddometer: 5
budget $200-300

Hey Greasy Rider,
hmmm $200-300. I'm thinking of going with the Oxford heated grips. They're about $80. Much cheaper than the factory ones.
The ironbutt web site has the old Widder heated vests (if they have your size) for $65 or $75 plus $19 for the controller. Throw in a CrampBuster for under $10 and your close to your $200 buget.
Do you have a rainsuit? I was a ways from home and left a friends house late. The temps dropped fast, so I put on my rainsuit. I was still cold, so I stopped at a store and bought a newspaper. I crumbled that up for insulation and had an hour ride home without freezing my butt off.
You can do what others have done and extend the handguards up higher with cut and bent plastic.
How about a poor man's heated gear ? I just bought 40 pairs of hand wamers from COSTCO for $15.
If you have to crack your faceshield open to keep it from fogging up, you may want to put some pretoleum jelly on your cheeks or nose. If all that doesn't keep you warm, stop at every rest area and do pushups. I've been know to drop and do 15 pushups during breaks at meetings when the air conditioning makes it too cold. Eating foods to keeps your metabolism up helps also. Ok, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away, lol.
I appreciated everyones input on the heated gear. If I get a good xmas bonus this year, I'll buy a good heated jacket liner and heated gloves. :-) I haven't had heated gear and from what everyone says, it sounds like the way to go.
It all kind of depends on what you already have or can borrow from friends.
Farmer Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #14473
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,394
In December of last year I rode from.NE Ohio to South Florida, with no heated gear. It was 22 degrees F when I left and the first day was brutal. On the way back I stopped at Cycle Gear in Atlanta and dropped $400+ First Gear gloves, jacket and dual controller.

The rest of the ride was toasty and absolutely no regrets.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #14474
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer: 184
just a short video report from only 2 hours test ride on 2 triumph tigers 800xc

Spacer z tygrysami from Paweł Sadowski on Vimeo.

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #14475
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,167
Nice vid MTBiker78. That's a proper test ride.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote