Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #14506
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy rider View Post
I have been eying the factory heated grips really hard.
The factory heated grips are a pretty decent setup, but MY GOD!!!, the grips they use are terrible.
If I had chunks of raw steel instead, they'd probably be more comfortable. I ended up having to
put a set of those foam-sleeve things on, and they ended up making them a lot more tolerable.
With the foam-sleeves on, when I set it to high, the heat comes through just fine and in fact keeps
it from getting too hot. Once they're up to temp, I can switch to the low setting and maintain the
heat just fine.

Though I will end up getting a set of heated gloves to keep the backs of my hands warm.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #14507
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Another vote for the full liner and gloves. And the dual controller. I find I run the gloves a lot warmer than the liner so it's good to have individual adjustment. Sometimes I don't need the liner on at all but a little heat on the hands is oh so nice. My brand of preference is Gerbings.

Heated grips are OK if you get caught out in falling temperatures but can't compare in comfort with the gloves.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #14508
greasy rider
adventurer

Oddometer: 11
wow that was a lot more responses than i expected. Thanks everyone for the info. Given what I have learned i think will go with the jacket liner, gloves, and first gear thermo suit. Still have to make up my mind on the brand for the jacket and gloves. Gerbling seems expensive compared to first gear, but i am wondering if its a you get what you pay for type relationship. The part that annoys me is that growing up in IL I know i could be riding up in a tshirt or be riding through 6in of snow.
greasy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #14509
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
wow that was a lot more responses than i expected. Thanks everyone for the info. Given what I have learned i think will go with the jacket liner, gloves, and first gear thermo suit. Still have to make up my mind on the brand for the jacket and gloves. Gerbling seems expensive compared to first gear, but i am wondering if its a you get what you pay for type relationship. The part that annoys me is that growing up in IL I know i could be riding up in a tshirt or be riding through 6in of snow.
check flea market and eBay. A lot that stuff comes used with little use.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #14510
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Gerbing has a sterling reputation and top end technology. Not that the others aren't breaking ground on their own. But to me, when it comes to comfort and safety, I'm going with the best I can find. Doesn't seem wise to to anything else.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #14511
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm thinking that a heated vest and gloves combo would work well with my other non heated winter gear. I know that the tiger has powerlet/bmw style connector beside the key. Could i run both items off of the one plug, and are temp controllers absolutely necessary or could i just turn on/off as needed.

Sorry if these are rookie questions, but like i said i have never dealt with heated gear before. In this i have to bow to the greater knowledge of the experienced.
Spring for the dual controller. I started with the simple on/off switch and very quickly converted to the dual adjustable thermostat controller. Make a world of difference. You can set the heat level most comfortable to each component and then fine tune as necessary..

Gerbings supplies a plug that connects directly to the battery, the controller plugs into that. I keep the primary plug under the seat and bring it out when needed.I also got the little leather pouch thing for the controller that clips to my tank bag for easy access to the adjustment dials.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #14512
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Quote:
wow that was a lot more responses than i expected. Thanks everyone for the info. Given what I have learned i think will go with the jacket liner, gloves, and first gear thermo suit. Still have to make up my mind on the brand for the jacket and gloves. Gerbling seems expensive compared to first gear, but i am wondering if its a you get what you pay for type relationship.
Gerbing's is, now, made in China. You can search the site, but, it seems they had better quality when their stuff was made in the USA. I can't say that I'd positively buy Gerbing's again.

I have First Gear TPG Rainier jacket and Escape pants. They are first-rate, quality made and in talking to their customer service (gear questions), I've had great service there, too. And, I believe Warm & Safe make their heated gear. You can call them and ask, but, seems that's what I've read here, on the forum. Their products certainly look the same, other than color or other minor details. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy First Gear/Warm & Safe heated products.

There's a ton of info on the site, regarding heated gear. Take the time to find out what others are saying.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #14513
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Gerbing's is, now, made in China. You can search the site, but, it seems they had better quality when their stuff was made in the USA. I can't say that I'd positively buy Gerbing's again.

I would venture to say that all heated gear regardless of vendor in made in China

According the Gerbing's web site they have opened a manufacturing facility in North Carolina (9/2012) where they now make their liners and plan eventually to be able to manufacture their entire line there. They are also going to get all of their raw materials domestically.

Good to see a company bringing jobs back to the USA.

All this talk about heated gear is wishful thinking on my part. It still summer here in Florida but I'm going up to South Carolina next week and hopefully will be able use mine.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #14514
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
According the Gerbing's web site they have opened a manufacturing facility in North Carolina (9/2012) where they now make their liners and plan eventually to be able to manufacture their entire line there. They are also going to get all of their raw materials domestically.

Good to see a company bringing jobs back to the USA.
The news article is here.

I find it ironic that Jeff Gerbing is touting what a great thing they're doing, with bringing production back to the US. However, they're forgetting to state the obvious negatives of them moving production to China, in the first place.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #14515
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,943
Quote:

I find it ironic that Jeff Gerbing is touting what a great thing they're doing, with bringing production back to the US. However, they're forgetting to state the obvious negatives of them moving production to China, in the first place.
You can blame capitalism for that - at least give the guy some kudos for wanting to bring it back to the US though.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #14516
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:

There is a huge wave of this by US manufacturers. With fuel costs so high shipping has become a huge factor. Plus lead times or 'concept to product' times are so long that a LOT of them are coming back. In many cases the global market has expanded so the bigger companies are keeping the china factory but re-opening here as well. Ford made the news for this strategy.

I admire all you cold-weather riders. I've never used heated wear. When it gets below 45 or so I stay home. I'm not a very good adventurer.
Being in southern California helps.

browneye screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 09:45 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #14517
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Browneye, I used to be like you, dreaded going riding if the temperature was below 50.( which it is many winter mornings here in Florida)
But I got the Gerbings about two years ago due to some arthritis in my hands and it has changed my life. Now I look forward to chilly mornings. Many times it will be below 50 but I know it's going up to the 70's so I wear my mesh jacket with the electric liner underneath and take it off at lunch.. Very comfortable.

Took a trip up to Tennessee last November where it was near freezing in the mornings, and never got above 45 during the day. With the heated liner and gloves, and the outer shell of a riding jacket , I was happy as a clam. The engine heat took care of the lower extremities.

Another place heated gear shines in riding in the mountains, Turn it up in the elevations, turn it off when in the valleys.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #14518
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Mercury264 sez:

"You can blame capitalism for that - at least give the guy some kudos for wanting to bring it back to the US though"

Yea yea, capitalism gets tthe blame blah blah....

Why doesn't capitalism get the credit for the jobs returning? It is starting to happen enough the business press is reporting on the trend. And it is not only the cost of shipping. Productivity in the US remains extremely high, productivity in China sucks, always has. Product quality, same deal.... Add rising wages in China and a bit more labor unrest than gets reported and quite a number of companies are doing the math and discovering it doesn't add up anymore.

And that that doesn't even take the amount of inventory on the water or in a warehouse at any given time. Building in China then shipping around the world is no longer highly profitable...so like many good capitalist...they begin to move product to where it makes sense to make something that isn't illegal...profit. And surprisingly, for an increasing number of products, that place happens to be in the US......
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #14519
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury264 View Post
you can blame capitalism for that - at least give the guy some kudos for wanting to bring it back to the us though.
+1
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #14520
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
If you do go the full jacket liner, just make sure you test the arms by bending and paying attention to your elbows. My wife and I both have the very old school heated vests with the wires running through them. I tried a full jacket liner but the wires would rub and actually hurt whenever you bent your arm. I'm sure the newer gear with the very thin wires would be fine.

I can't pry my wife's heated vest out of her cold hands, but frankly I haven't used mine in about 3 years. My body doesn't get cold just my hands, so heated grips are my *must have*. I also have Gerbings heated gloves but haven't used them since moving from the frozen prairies of Canada to the warmer west. I only needed the heated gloves when commuting to work in -12C temps. At that temp the heated grips don't even begin to warm up.

Our vests are old school with simply an on/off switch and I don't even know why my wife has a switch cause her's is always ON.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote