Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #14596
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Anybody tried a Mefo Explorer front with a Battlewing rear ? My front is about done after 9K and I have a Mefo front that I want to put on but I only just changed the rear about 1K ago - will the different tread patterns be an issue
First off, YMMV.

From trackday experience, on the street, you'd never want to run a stickier tire on the rear than what you have on the front. It's a lot easier to over-ride the rear and still catch it. The front, not so much. An easier way to think about it is the stickier rear will push the front, on asphalt. On the dirt, I'd think it'd be OK, as a lot of dirttrack schools teach students using a street rear and a knobby or dirttrack tire on the front.

I know that some tires have different carcass construction that don't lend too well to other construction types. The profile and belt layouts are designed to run as a matched set. I don't know, with those tires.

You can always try it and see. If it doesn't work out, order whichever tire you want to end up on and swap it out. I once ran a set of tires, for ~200 miles, and hated them. I pulled them and sold 'em.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #14597
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Anybody tried a Mefo Explorer front with a Battlewing rear ? My front is about done after 9K and I have a Mefo front that I want to put on but I only just changed the rear about 1K ago - will the different tread patterns be an issue
I have the Mefo front and the Heidenaus rear. Both have 3600 miles. The rear looks great with many miles left and the feel has been good on all surfaces-still loads with mud. The front provided good traction-still greasy in mud, but the sides are mostly gone and needs replaced soon. I will try a TKC80 or the Heidenaus front next time.

If you are riding mostly asphalt with your Battlewing rear, I would choose something other than the Mefo.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #14598
deltamark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Not sure why I want to know the temperature. I seem to be more interested in knowing the temp when it's cold vs. when it's warm. Maybe it will help me figure out what my tolerance limits are. On some recent cold mornings I rode to work and thought, "damn, that was a cold ride, I wonder what the temperature was?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
They're tapered bars. 1-1/8" at the clamp, tapering to just under an inch. I dunno if standard 7/8" accy would fit the ends or not, and I'm not even sure if they're standard tapers like renthals or maguras and such. I have a hunch they are, they look just like the bars on my Husqvarna.

Accessory thermometer? Hmmm...I don't really want to know. If it's too cold or too hot I know it, don't really care what the exact degree is. It's not like riding in my car where I wanna know how hot or cold it is outside. Even then, I just roll the window down and stick my hand out.

You could fabricate a mount that goes under one of the bar mounts.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #14599
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Just quick note. I removed the OEM center stand on my Roadie and now have it for sale in the FM.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post19809631

If anyone is interested, PM me.

And, now back to the regularly scheduled programming.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #14600
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
aftermarket drone

No, now UAV's, exhaust pipes. Stock is too quiet for me, but the Leo Vince, even with the full baffle in, drones at certain RPMs, and is tiring because of that. I don't have experience with other aftermarket exhausts. I did run the LV with no baffle, and with a baffle cut down by about 2/3's. Those set ups were even more drony. Worst is around 3200-3800 rpm. With my sprocket I'm in that zone cruising on backroads at 65-70mph.

Do other aftermarket pipes also drone, is this a tiger characteristic? Scorpion, arrow, mtc, anything?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #14601
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post
No, now UAV's, exhaust pipes. Stock is too quiet for me, but the Leo Vince, even with the full baffle in, drones at certain RPMs, and is tiring because of that. I don't have experience with other aftermarket exhausts. I did run the LV with no baffle, and with a baffle cut down by about 2/3's. Those set ups were even more drony. Worst is around 3200-3800 rpm. With my sprocket I'm in that zone cruising on backroads at 65-70mph.

Do other aftermarket pipes also drone, is this a tiger characteristic? Scorpion, arrow, mtc, anything?
LV with baffle is quitter than all others I've heard.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #14602
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
LV with baffle is quitter than all others I've heard.
Scorpion with the baffle in is pretty quite too while giving the Tigger a nice sound.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #14603
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post

I find my LV to be pretty quiet. I did run it without the baffles for the ride home from the dealership, and that was it. It was a pretty loud 3 miles. I immediately put in the included USFS baffle. Much better, and legal off road here in Cali...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #14604
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Tiger 800 burns Oil

This is a FYI if it hasn't been covered yet. If your changing your oil every 6K like me be sure to check the level by 3K. You'll probably need to top it off. The Tiger does burn oil and will not maintain the full amount between changes if your doing it at 6K intervals. Just make sure you keep some handy to top it off as needed.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #14605
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
This is a FYI if it hasn't been covered yet. If your changing your oil every 6K like me be sure to check the level by 3K. You'll probably need to top it off. The Tiger does burn oil and will not maintain the full amount between changes if your doing it at 6K intervals. Just make sure you keep some handy to top it off as needed.
Mine doesn't use any at all. It's still at the top line in the window 3K after being filled to that level at service.
This subject has been discussed at length on the 955 forums and the conclusion is that those that do use oil were run in too gently. i.e. the rings aren't fully seated in the bore, didn't get pushed into the bore during running in and or, the bores are glazed and let oil get by the rings.
It helps to "give it a handful" occasionally during running in to get that pressure into the cylinder to seat the rings.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #14606
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark View Post
Have a 2012 Tiger XC800 and want to order a handlebar mount for an accessory thermometer. Anyone know what size the handlebar is? (7/8 -1" or more than 1") Can't find any spec on this. Thinking it's more than 1".
There is too much heat from the engine at the bar mounts on a Tiger 800. Won't ever be accurate there... Might be better out at the end... base of a mirror maybe.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #14607
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
This subject has been discussed at length on the 955 forums and the conclusion is that those that do use oil were run in too gently. i.e. the rings aren't fully seated in the bore, didn't get pushed into the bore during running in and or, the bores are glazed and let oil get by the rings.
It helps to "give it a handful" occasionally during running in to get that pressure into the cylinder to seat the rings.
Some Daytona 675 owners had the same issue.

I ran mine up to redline, during break-in. However, I never loaded it down, with a high gear and full throttle; just revved it out. I had it on the track, at 700 miles and logged over 3K track miles. It never burned a drop.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #14608
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Mine has not shown any oil consumption, but I'm wondering why any owner would not check oil level on a regular basis.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #14609
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
. The Tiger does burn oil and will not maintain the full amount between changes.....

I just love sweeping statements like this.

Another one here with no noticeable oil burn.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #14610
henkew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Handlebar Thermomoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark View Post
Have a 2012 Tiger XC800 and want to order a handlebar mount for an accessory thermometer. Anyone know what size the handlebar is? (7/8 -1" or more than 1") Can't find any spec on this. Thinking it's more than 1".
I've tried two mounts from clocks4bikes.com. I have the OEM heated grips and fog lights and I want to put the thermometer next to. The bar is a bit oblong at that point and 7/8 is too small and a 1" is too big. I can install a 7/8 facing up or down, but not where I can see it. Ross at Clocks4Bikes is awesome though, he's milling a 7/8 to slightly oversize it so it will fit. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it.
henkew is offline   Reply With Quote