ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #14701
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
You actually just made me realize that there is a way to turn your abs off permanently... Not a bad idea for a long adventure ride! Just turn the front wheel around (and obviously switch the direction of the tire)
Which is exactly why I did it of course....

Actually, that is a very good point. As long as you turn the tire as you say, and don't mind the annoying flashing light, it should perm disable the ABS.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #14702
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So I am officially nominating myself for dumb-ass of the year

In my defense...this is my first bike with ABS....

Turns out there is a single ABS ring on the front wheel (obviously) and currently, that ABS ring on the wheel is on the opposite side to where the sensor is

So....I guess I need to take the wheel off, remove the tire and put it on the right way and re-install the front wheel in the CORRECT position.

Did I mention I'm a dumb-ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Really ? Damn, all I did was push the pistons in I didn't crack any lines or anything.

I knew ABS was going to be a total PIA
Yep it sure is. Glad you got it figured out and DIDN'T take it to your dealer for them to tell you that. Now step away from the wrenches slowly...
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #14703
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yep it sure is. Glad you got it figured out and DIDN'T take it to your dealer for them to tell you that. Now step away from the wrenches slowly...


Just changed the tire over and fitted the wheel in the correct position....problem is now fixed

One to file away in the memory bank....
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #14704
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,614
Hahahaha now what did I say about you fucking up something with the ABS sensors?

Good catch, man. Takes some cojones to come back and admit when you fucked up but all can now benefit from your mistake. And much better that you caught it before you had to spend money to get someone else to troubleshoot.

Don't worry about it man, we've all done plenty of stupid shit like that.

BTW I know that the tires are marked for rotational direction and as I recall from a couple months ago, I think the wheels might be too. Look for a little arrow mark on the wheel. I'm not sure if they are or if I'm remembering wrong. So yeah, make sure you get all the arrows (wheel and tire) pointing in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So I am officially nominating myself for dumb-ass of the year

In my defense...this is my first bike with ABS....

Turns out there is a single ABS ring on the front wheel (obviously) and currently, that ABS ring on the wheel is on the opposite side to where the sensor is

So....I guess I need to take the wheel off, remove the tire and put it on the right way and re-install the front wheel in the CORRECT position.

Did I mention I'm a dumb-ass
__________________
2000 Kawasaki W650
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #14705
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
As long as you turn the tire as you say, and don't mind the annoying flashing light, it should perm disable the ABS.
Electrical tape should cure that problem
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #14706
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,186
Eek 800 vs 800 xc

In terms of engine and electronics, is there any big difference between the 800 and the 800 xc? I've just been reading up on both forums and want to make sure that i don't try to fix something according to this thread and have it be different for my bike (soon to be an 800 xc)
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #14707
Riot
Tiger Rider
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Brisvagas, Oztralia
Oddometer: 105
None, there is just a different tune map for the xc.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #14708
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
In terms of engine and electronics, is there any big difference between the 800 and the 800 xc? I've just been reading up on both forums and want to make sure that i don't try to fix something according to this thread and have it be different for my bike (soon to be an 800 xc)
Road 800 tune has TPMS, the XC does not.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #14709
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
None, there is just a different tune map for the xc.
what do you mean?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #14710
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
what do you mean?
Yossarian just answered, the roadie has tire pressure monitors, the xc does not, so they get different ecu programs or "tunes".
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #14711
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer
 
the_babaji's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So I am officially nominating myself for dumb-ass of the year

In my defense...this is my first bike with ABS....

Turns out there is a single ABS ring on the front wheel (obviously) and currently, that ABS ring on the wheel is on the opposite side to where the sensor is

So....I guess I need to take the wheel off, remove the tire and put it on the right way and re-install the front wheel in the CORRECT position.

Did I mention I'm a dumb-ass
Classic!

On the bright side, you paid attention to the rotational direction when installing the wheel!
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #14712
Ducken
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ducken's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 107
BTW I know that the tires are marked for rotational direction and as I recall from a couple months ago, I think the wheels might be too. Look for a little arrow mark on the wheel. I'm not sure if they are or if I'm remembering wrong. So yeah, make sure you get all the arrows (wheel and tire) pointing in the right direction.[/QUOTE]


The XC front wheel has little arrows on the hub on one side. Ken
Ducken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #14713
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yep it sure is. Glad you got it figured out and DIDN'T take it to your dealer for them to tell you that. Now step away from the wrenches slowly...
I might not have said anything then Yeah, that would have sucked the big one - shops are closed around here on Monday otherwise....


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Hahahaha now what did I say about you fucking up something with the ABS sensors?

Good catch, man. Takes some cojones to come back and admit when you fucked up but all can now benefit from your mistake. And much better that you caught it before you had to spend money to get someone else to troubleshoot.

Don't worry about it man, we've all done plenty of stupid shit like that.

BTW I know that the tires are marked for rotational direction and as I recall from a couple months ago, I think the wheels might be too. Look for a little arrow mark on the wheel. I'm not sure if they are or if I'm remembering wrong. So yeah, make sure you get all the arrows (wheel and tire) pointing in the right direction.
All the arrows are pointing in the right direction now I figured I'd let everyone know what the issue was, that's what this thread is about right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Electrical tape should cure that problem
Seeing as I really am not keen on ABS, don't think I didn't think of that
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #14714
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Classic!

On the bright side, you paid attention to the rotational direction when installing the wheel!
I swear it takes me 10 minutes to figure out which way the tire goes on every time I change one because of that bloody arrow - I check and re-check it over and over

On a good note, I did manage to swap the tire over in about 15 mins so I guess I'm getting better at it...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #14715
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Yossarian just answered, the roadie has tire pressure monitors, the xc does not, so they get different ecu programs or "tunes".
Oh perfect! alright thank you!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014