Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #14731
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
How's everyone liking the ABS option on this bike? Seems like not many people like it...
It's fine. If you don't like ABS then you don't ride well enough or know when to turn it off -- and the only time you turn it off is when you want to use the rear brake to "turn", not stop, the bike. Otherwise there is no difference as the ABS only engages when the rider locks the wheel -- you will never see it on any rocky anything, unless you either over-brake and lock the wheel, or want to go Enduro style and whip the rear wheel around and oooops, remember you left ABS on and the rear isn't moving around like you expected.

Now whether or not you want to ride a bike this big like that is a personal choice I guess... I'm not a good enough rider to be comfortable doing that on my Tiger, I'm a puss on my Tiger.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #14732
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,565
Everytime these ABS post start up, I feel like a weirdo. I always turn it off for dirt. I'm just used to locking up both front & back brakes in the dirt. I have tried to leave it on several times & I hate the way the rear pulses. I could live with the front ABS, but I can't get used to the rear. I have never felt like its a problem to turn it off. Yes, a button would be better but it only takes a second. I don't regret getting ABS. I love it on wet tarmac, plus you can change out sprockets & it doesn't mess with the speedo/odo.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #14733
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Everytime these ABS post start up, I feel like a weirdo. I always turn it off for dirt. I'm just used to locking up both front & back brakes in the dirt. I have tried to leave it on several times & I hate the way the rear pulses. I could live with the front ABS, but I can't get used to the rear. I have never felt like its a problem to turn it off. Yes, a button would be better but it only takes a second. I don't regret getting ABS. I love it on wet tarmac, plus you can change out sprockets & it doesn't mess with the speedo/odo.
A voice of reason. You prefer to ride with ABS off in the dirt but you don't moan and bitch about the crappy ABS because you can't switch it off or it's too hard to switch off.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #14734
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I'm surprised by that. I find the ABS to be very good.

It's not intrusive; I can leave it on when riding off pavement and it's not given me any nasty surprises so far. It works well when it does kick in.

If it's down to a vote then I'm giving it a positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
In a word, fantastic. Works seamlessly. Just got back from a 3-day 625 mile trip with about a hundred miles of dirt roads. Never switched it off, never bothered me. More and more riders are finding that unless the terrain is really steep or they're trying to trailride the damn thing, the ABS works just fine on loose surfaces.

I have talked to GS riders that always switch theirs off, so I am gathering that the Triumph abs unit must work exceptionally well.

I hear my rear tire chattering all the time but never bothers, only assures.

EDIT: BTW, I think all the bikes shipped to NA have ABS, so it's probably a moot point. Also btw, it's easy to switch off at the instrument panel, a little fiddly with the menus 'till you learn where everything is and how to get there, but nothing too complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
The ABS works very very well. Personally, I'd just rather NOT have it as it's just added complexity I don't want or need but when it works, it works very well.

Oh great thanks guys! I have jus spent three hours at the dealership and have learned a lot about the bike but their answers always seem "by the book" so it's nice to have some real input from the actual owners...what actually happens when the rear wheel locks... how does the abs kick it and how does it feel?
y0y02369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #14735
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
It's fine. If you don't like ABS then you don't ride well enough or know when to turn it off -- and the only time you turn it off is when you want to use the rear brake to "turn", not stop, the bike. Otherwise there is no difference as the ABS only engages when the rider locks the wheel -- you will never see it on any rocky anything, unless you either over-brake and lock the wheel, or want to go Enduro style and whip the rear wheel around and oooops, remember you left ABS on and the rear isn't moving around like you expected.

Now whether or not you want to ride a bike this big like that is a personal choice I guess... I'm not a good enough rider to be comfortable doing that on my Tiger, I'm a puss on my Tiger.
hahaha yeah i will definitely begetting something smaller for offroading till i get really comfortable with it! thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #14736
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I totally agree, the ABS works very well on or off road. Have never turned mine off and never felt the need. My wife and I went on a 4 day dual sport ride and it included LOTS of steep, loose, rocky climbs and descents and I never once felt the ABS do anything but slow and stop the bike predictably. Too many people have been conditioned for too many years to expect scary, dangerous ABS systems from BMW on loose surfaces. Yamaha have an excellent ABS system on the Tenere and the system on the Tiger just works. I don't even think about anymore, I just ride.

It was the ABS's fault, really
Great thank you! what brand are you panniers? I was looking at the triumph ones and they seem really flimsy and WAY over priced!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #14737
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,638
Quote:
Oh great thanks guys! I have jus spent three hours at the dealership and have learned a lot about the bike but their answers always seem "by the book" so it's nice to have some real input from the actual owners...what actually happens when the rear wheel locks... how does the abs kick it and how does it feel?
It feels like a slight and rapid vibration, and you just keep slowing down.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #14738
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
New front tire recommendation for TT800 Roadie

Hey - I recently purchased an '11 800 Roadie (which I think is the most superb bike I have owned), and just noticed the sidewall of the front tire has cracked and doesn't appear to be holding air.

What are y'all recommendations for replacement? I will be riding 90% on pavement and 10% on some dirt roads.

Peace and thanks in advance - JD
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #14739
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Onewheeldrive.net Face book a ADV review site has some stuff to say about the Tiger Triple. Do you agree?

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 07:37 PM
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #14740
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
Hey - I recently purchased an '11 800 Roadie (which I think is the most superb bike I have owned), and just noticed the sidewall of the front tire has cracked and doesn't appear to be holding air.

What are y'all recommendations for replacement? I will be riding 90% on pavement and 10% on some dirt roads.

Threw a set of Michelin Anakee 2's at my wife's roadie about 1,500kms ago.

Similar riding to what you describe re dirt/sealed and no complaints to date.

Found them to be very good on the road and good enough for most well maintained dirt surfaces. Haven't really tried to stretch the limitations of the grip off road.. Little undue wear front or rear at this early stage.

In all, I prefer the Michelins over the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trails(?), although I must say that the Pirelli's were well past their use-by date when they were finally replaced.. 14,500kms..

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #14741
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
ABS - the short and sweet of it

Having ABS on has
saved my bacon a few times on road in extreme situations / conditions

Having ABS off has
saved my bacon a few times off-road in extreme situations / conditions
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #14742
Jack D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
For the person(s) looking for Givi locks with matching keys: Givi also has a 5 lock matching set. You can call Givi USA, they are very helpful and probably know how Trekker locks can work with the older bags.
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #14743
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,520
Quote:
Great thank you! what brand are you panniers? I was looking at the triumph ones and they seem really flimsy and WAY over priced!
all detailed farther back in this thread, you're not allowed to put a deposit down on a Tiger until you've read this thread through. And there will be a test, so no skim reading.

Info here...
Seahorse 720s

and here...
Seahorse 520s

sorry don't have the sizes handy but they're all on Seahorse's website
Seahorse Cases

I like them so far and they've held up well to a few spills and Jodie's survived a good crash in the ditch on her DR200. The latches aren't the most robust, I just got the plastic locking ones which are a joke for security but good enough to stop an opportunistic thief. Overall happy with them and would buy them again.[/QUOTE]
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #14744
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
tyre recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Threw a set of Michelin Anakee 2's at my wife's roadie about 1,500kms ago.

Similar riding to what you describe re dirt/sealed and no complaints to date.

Found them to be very good on the road and good enough for most well maintained dirt surfaces. Haven't really tried to stretch the limitations of the grip off road.. Little undue wear front or rear at this early stage.

In all, I prefer the Michelins over the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Trails(?), although I must say that the Pirelli's were well past their use-by date when they were finally replaced.. 14,500kms..

Cheers,

JM.
Thanks, JM I will check out the Michelins. I have Metzlers on my other bike, except a little Nighthawk 250, which has Kendas. - JD
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #14745
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post

I still have the stock Pirelli Scorpion Trails on mine. I really like them so far. This is the fourth adventure bike with this tire sizing on it, so I’ve tried a few of them and so far they are the best. They handle well on and off road. However, there are tons of different tires out there and relative to what’s available I haven’t tried that many, but I like them and will probably stick with them.