ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #14851
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer
 
the_babaji's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS View Post
Thanks. It fits me better than my GS or X-Challenge and is much better on the road than the other large bore dual sports I've owned. Did a 60 mile loop in some sugar sand today and drove away impressed with it.
It's an amazingly well balanced bike. It eats sand.
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #14852
Xcountry-Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Yes it kind of does with the honey comb pattern but the Triumph guard is 20 bucks cheaper and i think it better visually "matches" the style of the other Triumph accessories. I got mine from Pro Italia here in California. I was thinking that i would get it quick turns out they needed to get it from Triumph so that added a week. Pure Triumph also carries it.
Found this site 2wheelpros seems to have the cheapest prices on Triumph after market options. The radiator guard goes for 75 shipped.

Subtotal: $65.79
Shipping & Handling: $8.95
Total: $74.74
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #14853
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TAS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
It's an amazingly well balanced bike. It eats sand.
I was really surprised how well it handled deep sand. Now I can't wait to get the motor broken in!
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #14854
CPORet
I Am Kirok!
 
CPORet's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Found this site 2wheelpros seems to have the cheapest prices on Triumph after market options. The radiator guard goes for 75 shipped.

Subtotal: $65.79
Shipping & Handling: $8.95
Total: $74.74
I just got my TPMS sensors from 2wheelpros; great price, and I got them 12 days later. I'll definitely order from them again.
Triumph Detroit also has some real good deals on Triumph accessories.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #14855
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Uhhhh, Black Tiger, just because you ride on the wrong side of the road, I think you may have mixed up your left from your RIGHT?!
That was just to weed out those that can't tell a KTM from a Triumph.

__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #14856
round the block don
soreass
 
round the block don's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: "the maritimes"
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Really glad you all liked it.

I'm waiting for a mod to get back to me to decide where to best put the thread and my creation. Then I'll PM everyone and we can get the orders going.

I'll figure out price, time and shipping this week too.

p3
Put me on your list as well, please!
round the block don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #14857
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,167
My tank pad has come loose. Actually, its completely off now. What kind of goop do you guys recommend for reattaching it so it stays in place?

__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #14858
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It LOOKS backward, but when you think about it, when does the tire need maximum traction and water shedding ability? Under braking! That's why so many front tires have "backward looking" tread.
+1, primary purpose of rear is to accelerate, and front to decelerate, so tread blocks will always appear opposite, when the patterns are same or similar.
__________________
Lateral G Junkie
Fear Deer
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #14859
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
My tank pad has come loose. Actually, its completely off now. What kind of goop do you guys recommend for reattaching it so it stays in place?
Silicone should do the trick---the kind that comes in a tube.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #14860
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
My tank pad has come loose. Actually, its completely off now. What kind of goop do you guys recommend for reattaching it so it stays in place?

Try some outdoor double-sided tape. That crap is really hard to remove once applied.
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #14861
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubl-a View Post
try some outdoor double-sided tape. That crap is really hard to remove once applied.
+1
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #14862
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
+1, primary purpose of rear is to accelerate, and front to decelerate, so tread blocks will always appear opposite, when the patterns are same or similar.
Whilst I agree with your first bit, I disagree with the second, red bit.
Lets clear up one thing first. I'm not talking about tyre carcass construction here as I agree that the construction of the tyre needs to be opposite front and rear. I'm talking tread pattern which has nothing to do with construction but has everything to do with water dispersion.
The tyres are rolling the same way so the dispersion of water is the same front and rear. If the tread pattern is arrow shaped the point of the arrow needs to touch the road first so that as the tyre rolls the water is forced outwards away from the centre.
Avon http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle agree with me. All their tyres are pictured as if they're rolling away from you. That agrees with my logic on the subject. I've no idea why some others do it the other way round.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.

blacktiger screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 04:21 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #14863
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Whilst I agree with your first bit, I disagree with the second, red bit.
Lets clear up one thing first. I'm not talking about tyre carcass construction here as I agree that the construction of the tyre needs to be opposite front and rear. I'm talking tread pattern which has nothing to do with construction but has everything to do with water dispersion.
The tyres are rolling the same way so the dispersion of water is the same front and rear. If the tread pattern is arrow shaped the point of the arrow needs to touch the road first so that as the tyre rolls the water is forced outwards away from the centre.
Avon http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle agree with me. All their tyres are pictured as if they're rolling away from you. That agrees with my logic on the subject. I've no idea why some others do it the other way round.
A motorcycle tire puts down an elongated, oval contact patch. A car puts down one that is rectangular. A motorcycle's contact patch naturally disperses water, as it travels through a puddle. Whereas, a car tire will not; it needs grooves to disperse the water. Wet surface traction has more to do with the rubber compound (high silica content) than it does tread pattern, to a point. Only when water gets to a point do the grooves really come into play. If you watch any roadracing, you'll see the guys can go remarkably fast, on slicks, in the wet. What really affects them is that race (slicks, DOT race, etc) tires need a lot of heat, to make them properly work. Water cools them and is partly what causes the loss of traction. Conversely, a rain tire is really soft and designed to work at a cooler tread temp. Therefore, they simply fall apart on dry pavement. Obviously, there are a ton of variables, but, this is the gist of it.

As for your conclusion on Avon's tires, based on their website, you're incorrect. For whatever reason, their pictures show incorrect orientation. I've run, and sold, a variety of Avon tires, over the last 14 years. Their fronts definitely run opposite of the rears. As mentioned, tread grooves, almost always, run with the forces applied to the tire. If not, you'll get tread tearing, that'll begin, coming off those grooves.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #14864
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

As for your conclusion on Avon's tires, based on their website, you're incorrect. For whatever reason, their pictures show incorrect orientation. I've run, and sold, a variety of Avon tires, over the last 14 years. Their fronts definitely run opposite of the rears. As mentioned, tread grooves, almost always, run with the forces applied to the tire. If not, you'll get tread tearing, that'll begin, coming off those grooves.
Then you've been fitting them the wrong way round!
I think you need another look because I've run Avons a lot, here in the UK, and their tread pattern always caught my eye by running in the direction of my logic.
This one's in my garage at the moment. Distanzia front.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 40000 miles and counting.
2013 black Tiger800XC, The other British Land Rover. 500 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #14865
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
advtenn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East TN.
Oddometer: 1,365
The Avon Gripsters look backwards when installed properly. They are to be installed per the directional arrow. I've run a couple of sets.
__________________
bikes guns and shine


"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014