Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #14911
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
My tank pad has come loose. Actually, its completely off now. What kind of goop do you guys recommend for reattaching it so it stays in place?

"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #14912
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It LOOKS backward, but when you think about it, when does the tire need maximum traction and water shedding ability? Under braking! That's why so many front tires have "backward looking" tread.
+1, primary purpose of rear is to accelerate, and front to decelerate, so tread blocks will always appear opposite, when the patterns are same or similar.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #14913
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
My tank pad has come loose. Actually, its completely off now. What kind of goop do you guys recommend for reattaching it so it stays in place?
Silicone should do the trick---the kind that comes in a tube.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #14914
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

Try some outdoor double-sided tape. That crap is really hard to remove once applied.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #14915
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubl-a View Post
try some outdoor double-sided tape. That crap is really hard to remove once applied.
+1
Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #14916
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
+1, primary purpose of rear is to accelerate, and front to decelerate, so tread blocks will always appear opposite, when the patterns are same or similar.
Whilst I agree with your first bit, I disagree with the second, red bit.
Lets clear up one thing first. I'm not talking about tyre carcass construction here as I agree that the construction of the tyre needs to be opposite front and rear. I'm talking tread pattern which has nothing to do with construction but has everything to do with water dispersion.
The tyres are rolling the same way so the dispersion of water is the same front and rear. If the tread pattern is arrow shaped the point of the arrow needs to touch the road first so that as the tyre rolls the water is forced outwards away from the centre.
Avon http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle agree with me. All their tyres are pictured as if they're rolling away from you. That agrees with my logic on the subject. I've no idea why some others do it the other way round.

blacktiger screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 03:21 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #14917
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Whilst I agree with your first bit, I disagree with the second, red bit.
Lets clear up one thing first. I'm not talking about tyre carcass construction here as I agree that the construction of the tyre needs to be opposite front and rear. I'm talking tread pattern which has nothing to do with construction but has everything to do with water dispersion.
The tyres are rolling the same way so the dispersion of water is the same front and rear. If the tread pattern is arrow shaped the point of the arrow needs to touch the road first so that as the tyre rolls the water is forced outwards away from the centre.
Avon http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle agree with me. All their tyres are pictured as if they're rolling away from you. That agrees with my logic on the subject. I've no idea why some others do it the other way round.
A motorcycle tire puts down an elongated, oval contact patch. A car puts down one that is rectangular. A motorcycle's contact patch naturally disperses water, as it travels through a puddle. Whereas, a car tire will not; it needs grooves to disperse the water. Wet surface traction has more to do with the rubber compound (high silica content) than it does tread pattern, to a point. Only when water gets to a point do the grooves really come into play. If you watch any roadracing, you'll see the guys can go remarkably fast, on slicks, in the wet. What really affects them is that race (slicks, DOT race, etc) tires need a lot of heat, to make them properly work. Water cools them and is partly what causes the loss of traction. Conversely, a rain tire is really soft and designed to work at a cooler tread temp. Therefore, they simply fall apart on dry pavement. Obviously, there are a ton of variables, but, this is the gist of it.

As for your conclusion on Avon's tires, based on their website, you're incorrect. For whatever reason, their pictures show incorrect orientation. I've run, and sold, a variety of Avon tires, over the last 14 years. Their fronts definitely run opposite of the rears. As mentioned, tread grooves, almost always, run with the forces applied to the tire. If not, you'll get tread tearing, that'll begin, coming off those grooves.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #14918
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

As for your conclusion on Avon's tires, based on their website, you're incorrect. For whatever reason, their pictures show incorrect orientation. I've run, and sold, a variety of Avon tires, over the last 14 years. Their fronts definitely run opposite of the rears. As mentioned, tread grooves, almost always, run with the forces applied to the tire. If not, you'll get tread tearing, that'll begin, coming off those grooves.
Then you've been fitting them the wrong way round!
I think you need another look because I've run Avons a lot, here in the UK, and their tread pattern always caught my eye by running in the direction of my logic.
This one's in my garage at the moment. Distanzia front.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #14919
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
The Avon Gripsters look backwards when installed properly. They are to be installed per the directional arrow. I've run a couple of sets.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #14920
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Then you've been fitting them the wrong way round!
I think you need another look because I've run Avons a lot, here in the UK, and their tread pattern always caught my eye by running in the direction of my logic.
This one's in my garage at the moment. Distanzia front.
Let me recant and say "many Avon front patterns run opposite of the rear".

I've not installed a set of Distanzias. I have installed all the Azaro/Storm (AV35/36-45/46-55/56), Cobra, and nearly all their sportbike series. And, all those fronts ran opposite. I removed a set of Gripsters and the front was opposite.

I can assure you, all my installs go on per their directional arrow.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #14921
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I can assure you, all my installs go on per their directional arrow.

It seems strange to me that different manufacturers have different ideas.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #14922
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

And now for something completely different..

So my pre-filter has been on for 6000 miles and I felt it was too dirty and I needed to clean it. I struggled to get it off as you can't really get a good hold of it from the outside.
So, as I had some other small jobs to do since getting back from Sardinia, I took off the tank and airbox lid to poke it out from the inside.

I was greeted with a very clean looking "clean" side of the DNA filter.....

Also a nice clean "dirty" side too.....

There is some dust in there which I suspect is being sucked in through the drain hole.

So I could then poke out the pre-filter with a screwdriver...

Boy it was filthy. Compare that to the first photo I took on instal......

+ I'll have to do something about it sitting on wires and a lug on the frame as it'll wear through in time....

I just glad to see that the pre-filter is doing its job so well. Makes me wonder if I actually need an airfilter in there at all since the pre-filter is doing all the work.

blacktiger screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:49 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #14923
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,484
Quote:
So my pre-filter has been on for 6000 miles and I felt it was too dirty and I needed to clean it. I struggled to get it off as you can't really get a good hold of it from the outside.
So, as I had some other small jobs to do since getting back from Sardinia, I took off the tank and airbox lid to poke it out from the inside.

I was greeted with a very clean looking "clean" side of the DNA filter.....

Also a nice clean "dirty" side too.....

There is some dust in there which I suspect is being sucked in through the drain hole.

So I could then poke out the pre-filter with a screwdriver...

Boy it was filthy. Compare that to the first photo I took on instal......

+ I'll have to do something about it sitting on wires and a lug on the frame as it'll wear through in time....

I just glad to see that the pre-filter is doing its job so well. Makes me wonder if I actually need an airfilter in there at all since the pre-filter is doing all the work.

Good stuff.
Yeah, I found the pre-filter a bitch to work with unless you could gain access from inside the airbox. Mine has only been on for a thousand miles, maybe.

My immediate thought is that the paper filter in an inaccessbile airbox is a poor design for a bike that goes offroad. Surely not like any other 'dirt bike'. Alas...it is what it is.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #14924
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,327
Your results with the prefilter are impressive. Definitely thinking of one before my OBDR/WABDR trip next fall....

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #14925
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:

Make you wonder if it is making your engine run rich.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote