Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #14956
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Then you had to pay another 500 for break in 500 miles later.
Are you having the oil filter replaced with a gold plated one or something???

Paid for oil & filter only for mine. Even my 20,000km service was cheaper than that.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #14957
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Then you had to pay another 500 for break in 500 miles later.

I paid $220. It only took 1.5 hours. You must go to one of those BMW/Triumph combo dealers.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #14958
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.

Welcome to ADV. This should help...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816718
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #14959
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
So I've decided that I want an adventure tourer for my next bike, and have found myself poring over all the Tiger threads here. I have read several articles, seen many videos, etc. of the 800 xc, and I'm really, really digging on everything I see. It really does seem like it's the best bike for me for what I have in mind. Probably my biggest complaint is that since the bikes are so new, and everyone seems to love them so much, I haven't seen any on the used market. I've been trying to put any ideas of getting one on hold while I try to scrimp and save a bit, since it appears I'm going to have to get one new.

BUT, this being the end of the model year, I emailed my local dealership just to see if there was any discount for the 2012 models. As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes. I went for a test ride over the weekend, and though the ride was short, I found it highly enjoyable. I put down a deposit to get my foot in the door so I could think it over a bit.

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
You should be able to get a 2012 brand new, not a demo< in another month for over $2000 off MSRP. I got $2100 off mine + any add ons I wanted at cost for six months after purchase. A year later, I'm still getting a major discount on anything I buy
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #14960
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes.

Thoughts?
There are Tiger 800 Roadie and XC on Craigslist. Use SeachTempest, to search all of Craigslist.

For a '12 Roadie, I was quoted $9500, plus $495 freight. No setup fee, as the dealer is reimbursed from the factory for assembly.

Quote:
Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least.
As I stated above, the dealer is reimbursed for assembly. Don't pay it. The bikes, in your area should all ship for about the same money. Call around, to see what others are charging. There's still plenty of '12 bikes to chose from; just got to do some searching.

At your height, I think you'll be happier with the XC. There are plenty of road-oriented tires to choose from.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #14961
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
Covina, CA?

You should be able to get an XC out the door for no more than $13,000. That's leaving the dealer plenty of profit (over $1,000) If you negotiate hard, you can go even lower.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #14962
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Covina, CA?

You should be able to get an XC out the door for no more than $13,000. That's leaving the dealer plenty of profit (over $1,000) If you negotiate hard, you can go even lower.
+1

I got my XC July 1 for $12,900 OTD, all in. I added sump guard, engine guards, and centerstand at 15% off, added them to the deal, sign and drive, no pain, $262 per month X 60. Didn't even negotiate - that was the deal they presented, was good enough for me to jump in. I like the dealer to make some money on them. I don't care to beat them down to cost, makes you look like a penny-pinching cheap-ass. Instead I'm a preferred customer and get the royal treatment everytime I walk in there.

I do all my own service. First oil change at 250, again at 1400 to full synthetic.

I think you can buy a new car for that. Oh well, wouldn't be nearly as much fun as the Tiger.
Funny, wifey just leased a new Mercedes coupe and the payments aren't even a hundred dollars more.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #14963
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
You should be able to get a 2012 brand new, not a demo< in another month for over $2000 off MSRP. I got $2100 off mine + any add ons I wanted at cost for six months after purchase. A year later, I'm still getting a major discount on anything I buy
Interesting, I'm not sure if I can count on a discount on a new 2012 at my dealership though. Besides the demos, they only had 2013 XC's in stock, and a tricked out roadie, so it's not like they're sitting on old inventory that they need to get out the door.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #14964
chasmahtaz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Re: 800 vs. 800XC

Thanks for the link fbj, but seems that it is directing me to a discussion about t800 vs 800gs. There is plenty info on the boards about Triumph vs. Beemer debate. I was more curious about the t800 vs. t800xc.

I was a little reluctant about the road handling of the xc. All the reviews from the "experts" was that the t800 ran better on the road than the t800xc. A lot of it seems to be attributed to the larger front wheel.

And thanks all who continue to email me or post their views on here. The info share is pretty spectacular.
chasmahtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #14965
chasmahtaz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Tiger 800 xc

Found a dealership that's selling a 2011 xc with ABS out the door for $12,800 (taxes, title, fees included). Says it's not a demo but doesn't come with any fog lights or any other extras. Hmmmm.
chasmahtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #14966
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 686
Dealer is re-imbursed from triumph for set-up fee? I'd need to see a copy of that check to believe it.
How do you know this? Not looking for a pissing match-I'd really like to know this as I've worked in the back office of a dealership and never saw anything remotely like that.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #14967
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Thanks for the link fbj, but seems that it is directing me to a discussion about t800 vs 800gs. There is plenty info on the boards about Triumph vs. Beemer debate. I was more curious about the t800 vs. t800xc.

I was a little reluctant about the road handling of the xc. All the reviews from the "experts" was that the t800 ran better on the road than the t800xc. A lot of it seems to be attributed to the larger front wheel.

And thanks all who continue to email me or post their views on here. The info share is pretty spectacular.
I haven't seen anything like that in any reports. The 19" front and firmer suspension on the T800 provides for a little quicker turn-in and a slightly larger contact patch. For those of us that bought the XC, we chose it for it's verstility, not for sportbike handling. None of use run them that hard or expect them to be a trackbike. Coming from a Kawasaki Versys, which is well known for smart handling and fast cornering, I can tell you the XC is no slouch in the twisties. We just don't bend them over as hard. The stellar motor more than makes up for the slight loss in ulitimate cornering ability.

In fact, the reports I read were that the XC was an absolute surprise at how well it does handle on road, given the 21" front wheel. Triumph chose a custom wheel at maximum width to spread the skinny tire out as much as possible. I ride mine to the edge of the tread, no chicken strips. It's easy to see however that it's seldom that I reach that tread edge.

My recommendation would be to go ride both. I did, could not tell the difference in handling on a test drive. I'm sure I could if I took both for a canyon run back to back. What I did notice is the XC is more plush and I liked that. Of course the penalty is nose-dive under heavy braking, but again, we seldom ride them that hard. For normal street riding the XC does just beautifully, comfortable, easy to ride, fast in the sweepers, no see-sawing on brake and gas. The XC also provides a hydraulic preload adjust for the rear shock to accomodate varying loads.

This was one of the most important considerations for me because this bike was to be primarily a road bike, sport touring with luggage, and two-up. Wife and I are about 350lbs together and the bike hardly knows it. Performance is just fantastic.

The gearbox is a close ratio, something most notice right away. Some don't like it so well because it requires a lot of shifting. Once you get used to it you find you can always have the motor spinning where you want it because of the spacing and number of gears.

I really like lightweight alloy wheels and tubeless tires. If that carries a lot of weight for you then warrants serious consideration. For me it came down to a non-issue based on my experience with motorcycles in general, tons of dirt miles, so changing or patching a tube is not difficult. With center stand you can have a wheel off and bead broken in minutes. I carry a pump, irons, patches, and a 21" tube all the time, adding a rear tube for long distance travel. That said, I have only had one flat on road in thousands of miles for many years, and never offroad. Of all the dirtbikes I've owned, I've never had a flat in the field.

Ergos...
One thing that does take some getting used to is the ergos on the XC. The bars are quite wide, and they are quite far forward. Some guys just can't deal with it. It took me a few hundred miles and then you find the more aggressive you ride the bike the better the ergos suit. The bars automatically put you in a moreorless attack position. I even rolled them forward a bit which makes them just fine for standing on the pegs as well. I"m 5-10, 30" inseam. So I run the seat in the lower position but would prefer to run it in the high - it's just that you then end up on tip-toes at stoplights. That's fine empty, but with panniers and gear, or a pillion, I like a little more leverage. I tossed the peg rubbers the day it arrived home. The seat is the best stock seat I've seen. I did re-shape the pillion, with more dish, added an inch of foam on top, and made a new cover. With top-box and back pad, wifey is really comfortable for up to a couple of hundred miles a day. Besides, I thought the gray seat cover just didn't fit the bike.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #14968
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Question Getting support from a dealer you didn't buy the bike from...

This could go for any bike, but I have a T800, so I'll post here.

I bought my bike used from a private party in a city 100 miles away. I have a Triumph dealer in my own city. I've (and the service manager) determined that my bike falls in the range for the gear return spring replacement TSB. I've talked to the service department, but the "warranty guy" is never there when I roll by. I typically do all my own work, but this is warranty work. In their small defense, the service manager has given me the days the warranty guy works there and when to call to talk to him.

I guess I could do a little more footwork for getting this done by tracking down the warranty guy on the days he is there, but I feel I shouldn't have to. Is this typical of buying a bike at one place and having the work done somewhere else - or is it just my local dealer? If it's the former, that's not very comforting if I run into a warranty issue out on the road.

Are there better channels for this? Or should I keep hounding them?

On a similar note, do I have to "register" my bike with the local dealer with regards to recalls and TSBs? Or is that something that corporate handles? Thanks!
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #14969
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This could go for any bike, but I have a T800, so I'll post here.

I bought my bike used from a private party in a city 100 miles away. I have a Triumph dealer in my own city. I've (and the service manager) determined that my bike falls in the range for the gear return spring replacement TSB. I've talked to the service department, but the "warranty guy" is never there when I roll by. I typically do all my own work, but this is warranty work. In their small defense, the service manager has given me the days the warranty guy works there and when to call to talk to him.

I guess I could do a little more footwork for getting this done by tracking down the warranty guy on the days he is there, but I feel I shouldn't have to. Is this typical of buying a bike at one place and having the work done somewhere else - or is it just my local dealer? If it's the former, that's not very comforting if I run into a warranty issue out on the road.

Are there better channels for this? Or should I keep hounding them?

On a similar note, do I have to "register" my bike with the local dealer with regards to recalls and TSBs? Or is that something that corporate handles? Thanks!
Their 'warranty guy' will take care of approving your bike for age and mileage, and will submit a warranty claim to the manufacturer.

I would either call or email the guy and leave a message to get back to you at his convenience so it can get taken care of. Frankly, I doubt he (nor anyone at the dealer) cares where the bike came from.

Dealers as a general rule don't have the resources to provide really top-notch service. The ones that do are rare and should be admired and appreciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #14970
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
interesting...
http://mediacast.realgravity.com/sha...13b075457.html
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote