Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #14971
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This could go for any bike, but I have a T800, so I'll post here.

I bought my bike used from a private party in a city 100 miles away. I have a Triumph dealer in my own city. I've (and the service manager) determined that my bike falls in the range for the gear return spring replacement TSB. I've talked to the service department, but the "warranty guy" is never there when I roll by. I typically do all my own work, but this is warranty work. In their small defense, the service manager has given me the days the warranty guy works there and when to call to talk to him.

I guess I could do a little more footwork for getting this done by tracking down the warranty guy on the days he is there, but I feel I shouldn't have to. Is this typical of buying a bike at one place and having the work done somewhere else - or is it just my local dealer? If it's the former, that's not very comforting if I run into a warranty issue out on the road.

Are there better channels for this? Or should I keep hounding them?

On a similar note, do I have to "register" my bike with the local dealer with regards to recalls and TSBs? Or is that something that corporate handles? Thanks!
A "normal" situation would be where you call the service dept, tell them you think you VIN falls under the TSB, they check that/confirm/order the kit, and then you schedule an appt. when the kit comes in. Shouldn't take 10 phone calls to make this happen. You are getting jerked around. My dealer is not exceptional but even they handled my return spring TSB professionally.

You can call Triumph customer service and give them your VIN and they will check for any outstanding TSB's. They removed this facility from their website so now they can reap the joy of handling everyone calling. You also need/should register your name/bike with them.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #14972
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Got my 2012 Orange tiger with center stand and heated grips installed for $12500, all fees and taxes included.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #14973
chasmahtaz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Mind if I ask ... The orange t800? Is that a roadie or an XC?
chasmahtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #14974
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I believe the orange is an XC-only flavor. The roadie got the venom yellow for its unique color. For 2013, the orange is replaced by the drab green. And somewhere in these threads, a guy has a blue one, which the only one I've seen, but it sure it purty.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #14975
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
So I've decided that I want an adventure tourer for my next bike, and have found myself poring over all the Tiger threads here. I have read several articles, seen many videos, etc. of the 800 xc, and I'm really, really digging on everything I see. It really does seem like it's the best bike for me for what I have in mind. Probably my biggest complaint is that since the bikes are so new, and everyone seems to love them so much, I haven't seen any on the used market. I've been trying to put any ideas of getting one on hold while I try to scrimp and save a bit, since it appears I'm going to have to get one new.

BUT, this being the end of the model year, I emailed my local dealership just to see if there was any discount for the 2012 models. As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes. I went for a test ride over the weekend, and though the ride was short, I found it highly enjoyable. I put down a deposit to get my foot in the door so I could think it over a bit.

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
I bought a dealer demo bike that was wrecked, then rebuilt. It came with a salvage tittle. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I have no regrets. The amount of money I saved and knowing how I intended to ride it, It was absolutely the the right way for me to buy one. Sounds like a good deal to me. Good luck
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #14976
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Battery Tender on a TT800?

I bought and adapter to connect a Deltran Battery Tender to the power outlet on my Roadie; but when I plugged it in, the tender flashed red light. This indicates the battery is not charging.

Does anyone know if I can charge the battery through the power outlet, or if I need to connect directly to the battery terminals?

Thanks much - Peace - JD
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #14977
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye;20035260 I did re-shape the pillion, with more dish, added an inch of foam on top, and made a new cover. With top-box and back pad, wifey is really comfortable for up to a couple of hundred miles a day. Besides, I thought the gray seat cover just didn't fit the bike.

[IMG
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/cjdirtbiker/Tiger%20800XC/DSC00868.jpg[/IMG]

Chris,

Can you sort of turn this into a how to on a new thread? You really got my attention on this. Where to get the foam and the material for the seat? Do you have a simple pattern we could follow? I want to do this and want my project to look as good as yours!!
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #14978
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,265
Quote:

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

?
Bought my demo tiger in January. It had 1100 miles on it. I've put another 10k miles on it with zero issues. I called PJ's Triumph in NM (not where I was buying it from but one of the best dealers around from what I have read and my brief conversations with them) to get their thoughts on my price and their experience with demos. They've sold plenty of demos and no more issues with the demos than with unused bike. I saved a fair amount of money and still got the 2 year warranty. After I bought it I called Triumph to learn about its history. They could only tell me it was one the motorcycles in their own fleet. I wouldn't be put off by the demo status.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #14979
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I just bought a leftover 2012 800 xc with ABS for $10,800....

A 2013 would have been $12,050....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #14980
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post
I bought and adapter to connect a Deltran Battery Tender to the power outlet on my Roadie; but when I plugged it in, the tender flashed red light. This indicates the battery is not charging.

Does anyone know if I can charge the battery through the power outlet, or if I need to connect directly to the battery terminals?

Thanks much - Peace - JD
Yes you can charge through the power outlet by the ignition switch. I will say I had to swap the polarity on my battery tender's cables because it was backwards compared to the powerlet cable that came with the bike. I'm wondering if this is the issue you're having.You can check quick and easily with a multi-meter.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #14981
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
It was an XC. It was at a dealer 400 miles from home. But it was well worth it I think. What better way to break in the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Mind if I ask ... The orange t800? Is that a roadie or an XC?
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #14982
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Yes you can charge through the power outlet by the ignition switch. I will say I had to swap the polarity on my battery tender's cables because it was backwards compared to the powerlet cable that came with the bike. I'm wondering if this is the issue you're having.You can check quick and easily with a multi-meter.
That's good to know.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #14983
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 64
I charge mine thru the column outlet, works fine.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by legends117 View Post

Thanks much - Peace - JD
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #14984
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
I bought a demo 800XC last year with 1400 miles. Seven thousand miles later and no worries. Save some cash and put that toward farkles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #14985
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Battery tender

Quote:
I took your advice and checked the polarity of the plug (from the charger) and the outlet on the bike. I put the positive probe in the center and the negative probe on the edge, and both checked out OK.

Hummmm SO - anyone have any other ideas why the battery wouldn't be charging?
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote