Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #16
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 209
Holy Crap! I almost needed clean undies and I was just sitting here at home watching. Dayyyyuuummmm.

A doofus like that is only going to understand an ass kicking that leaves him wanting his mommy.
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997

Maybe you should engrave this with an old rusted nail onto his camera...he deserves it after all.

Objects in camera screen are closer than they appear
SgtDuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #18
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Why would you try to hold a camera in your hand, anyway? That seems inherently unsafe, even for a passenger. There are a bazillion ways to mount a hands free camera, even on a helmet.

Of course, helmet cams will get you arrested in Maryland.

Was this a stranger or a friend? I wouldn't bring the first on a multi-day ride, and I wouldn't make a thread on advrider excoriating the second.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
springfish OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk
Why would you try to hold a camera in your hand, anyway? That seems inherently unsafe, even for a passenger. There are a bazillion ways to mount a hands free camera, even on a helmet.

Of course, helmet cams will get you arrested in Maryland.

Was this a stranger or a friend? I wouldn't bring the first on a multi-day ride, and I wouldn't make a thread on advrider excoriating the second.
Friend. And he's a jack-ass. It was a close call, a mistake that won't be made again. Fun times.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Oddometer: 385
Who needs enemies when you've got jack-ass friends like that?
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
This is why I think taking pictures while the bike is moving is dumb. Pictures will not be nice anyways because you are shaking, and you always risk crashing. Stop and shoot all you want.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #22
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Near-mis

That is my favorite drive-by media phrase that originated in the 90's you used to hear it all the time on the news.Especially from Catie Curik. Still everytime I hear it I cant help to think if you nearly mis isnt that a hit??
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
Frank06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
So - - - where's his video of the incident?
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfish
Anytime you crash a motorcycle you have a good chance of dying. Especially when your speed is in excess of 70 mph.
If that were true, we would have lost most off the MotoGP and World Superbike racers by now. Those guys regularly crash at over 100 mph, mostly without any injuries at all.

You were on a totally flat lake bed. If you had full gear on, it would have been pretty tough to kill you just by running into you.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson
If that were true, we would have lost most off the MotoGP and World Superbike racers by now. Those guys regularly crash at over 100 mph, mostly without any injuries at all.

You were on a totally flat lake bed. If you had full gear on, it would have been pretty tough to kill you just by running into you.
It would be hard to kill yourself lowsiding in the middle of the playa with full gear on. A highside or collision could easily leave you with enough injuries and/or a broken bike that would mean help would be hours/days away and could easily lead to death.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #26
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
You did not come close to dying.
If contact was made, I would say the solo rider would have stayed upright and the OP (+wife) would have gone down (his back tire would have taken out the OPs front tire).

A bike is incredibly stable, as long as you don't upset that front wheel. (I took two deer strikes to the back wheel and stayed upright, one deer strike to the front wheel and went down.)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #27
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 832
Did you catch him after...
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #28
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
If contact was made, I would say the solo rider would have stayed upright and the OP (+wife) would have gone down (his back tire would have taken out the OPs front tire).

A bike is incredibly stable, as long as you don't upset that front wheel. (I took two deer strikes to the back wheel and stayed upright, one deer strike to the front wheel and went down.)
And if the timing had been slightly different in another direction, one bike's front wheel could have made contact with the other bike's front wheel, and all three people are on the ground.
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #29
getagripgreg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409

He looks to be at least 5 feet away in that still. Arm's length at minimum, not really close at all.

I had a co-worker buzz me the other day leaving work. He called me later to apologize because he thought he was too close. I was like, "are you kidding?" If he'd touched me, it would have been too close. But he didn't, so no harm, no foul. He's my friend and he was screwing around, and I trust him, even though I don't think he's a particularly careful rider. But he missed me, as your "friend" did, and yours by a far bigger margin than mine. Friendships have margins for error, don't they?

It didn't look very bad to me. Maybe you can come to admit that you were a very long way from almost dying, and forgive your riding cameraman.

Cheers,
Greg
getagripgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #30
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by getagripgreg

He looks to be at least 5 feet away in that still. Arm's length at minimum, not really close at all.

I had a co-worker buzz me the other day leaving work. He called me later to apologize because he thought he was too close. I was like, "are you kidding?" If he'd touched me, it would have been too close. But he didn't, so no harm, no foul. He's my friend and he was screwing around, and I trust him, even though I don't think he's a particularly careful rider. But he missed me, as your "friend" did, and yours by a far bigger margin than mine. Friendships have margins for error, don't they?

It didn't look very bad to me. Maybe you can come to admit that you were a very long way from almost dying, and forgive your riding cameraman.

Cheers,
Greg
You're kidding, right?
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote