ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #121
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
As Wandering Nomad replied, it is to allow for expansion and contraction. Not only do the exterior temperatures vary significantly (for the above ground portions) but the internal temperatures do likewise as oil flow changes. There is a pretty ingenious design of sliders, anchors, bumpers, etc. to keep the pipeline aligned, yet allow it to move to adjust for changes in overall length. The area where the pipeline passes over the Denali Fault in Isabel Pass has even greater allowance for movement, with room to move back and forth across 20 feet or more. Can't seem to find any photos in my collection right now, although I know plenty have been taken, so next time I'm up that way I'll take some and post them.

Here are a couple of photos that give a little hint of what goes on. In this photo, on the south side of an overcrossing, the pipeline has slid to the right side of the supports.

You can see that the covers over the pipeline are almost touching the VSM's (Vertical Support Members) on the one side.

But on the north side of the crossing, the pipeline is more evenly centered on the supports -
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #122
YeeHaa
Fang it!!!!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
Expansion and contraction as it heats and cools.

You would be amazed how much a pipe will grow as it heats up in the sun during the day.

And it will damn sure contract at the temps that pipeline sees.

Lewis (EX-Piper)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
As Wandering Nomad replied, it is to allow for expansion and contraction. Not only do the exterior temperatures vary significantly (for the above ground portions) but the internal temperatures do likewise as oil flow changes. There is a pretty ingenious design of sliders, anchors, bumpers, etc. to keep the pipeline aligned, yet allow it to move to adjust for changes in overall length. The area where the pipeline passes over the Denali Fault in Isabel Pass has even greater allowance for movement, with room to move back and forth across 20 feet or more. Can't seem to find any photos in my collection right now, although I know plenty have been taken, so next time I'm up that way I'll take some and post them.

Here are a couple of photos that give a little hint of what goes on. In this photo, on the south side of an overcrossing, the pipeline has slid to the right side of the supports.

You can see that the covers over the pipeline are almost touching the VSM's (Vertical Support Members) on the one side.

But on the north side of the crossing, the pipeline is more evenly centered on the supports -
Thanks fellas, I am from the hot north of Australia so didn't even begin to think of the extremes of temperature this area must face. Crikey what an engineering marvel and what an absolute hoot it must be to ride in this area.

...it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
YeeHaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #123
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

As promised, some photos of the sliders that support the pipeline over the Denali Fault. These are designed to allow the ground to shift up to ~30 feet sideways without overstressing the pipeline. While this is not on the Dalton Hwy, it is an important part of the pipeline that is the reason for the Dalton's existence.

Looking downstream, toward Valdez. The lane to the left of the photo is the gated access road used by security guards who constantly patrol the pipeline, and for maintenance crews.

A couple of photos showing detail of the supports. The main horizontal H-beams also rest on sliders embedded in the ground.

A fairly major earthquake that occurred along the Denali Fault on November 3, 2002 severely tested the design, and it did its job just as engineers had hoped it would.

And looking upstream, toward Prudhoe Bay.

To get back on track, a photo taken on Labor Day showing some fall colors along the South Fork Koyukuk valley.
Haul Road Primer
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #124
boatman1960
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Is that a wing i see before me n here was me fretting about the ride next june on my bmw gsa 1200
it would be good on the wee suzuki dr350 but that would make it a long haul from Frisco n back in 4 weeks
So looking forward !!!!!!!!!!
boatman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #125
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post

nice!
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #126
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

A few more from the Labor Day ride. Another shot of Beaver Slide from just below the Arctic Circle wayside, but this one has fall colors.

Just a couple miles south of "Oh Shit Corner", looking southwest.

From the top of Gobbler's Knob, looking out across the Jim River valley, with Pump Station 5 visible on its little hill.

If you happen to be on the Haul Road during hunting season, you may see a large number of vehicles parked in many of the available locations, such as this gravel area at Grayling Lake. There were two float planes on the lake as we went by, one preparing to take off, the other tied up along the north shore.

Between two of the Jim River bridges, fall colors border the highway and, combined with the mild weather, made the ride extremely enjoyable.
Haul Road Primer
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #127
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
LOVE this thread!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #128
togume
On the Black Beast

Oddometer: 48
Amazing

I started with Google maps thinking about where I could go in Alaska, followed by searching about the most northern part that is drivable. Then I searched ADV, and found this thread. Sign me up!

This is a definitely must this summer.

Thanks for all the great pictures and information!

Is anyone planning any rides up there this year?
togume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #129
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by togume View Post
I started with Google maps thinking about where I could go in Alaska, followed by searching about the most northern part that is drivable. Then I searched ADV, and found this thread. Sign me up!

This is a definitely must this summer.

Thanks for all the great pictures and information!

Actually there's a big Yamaha Tenere gathering in Whitehorse from July 1st through the 4th.
A few of us are continuing north to Alaska and I will be going to Deadhorse

Not sure what bike you have but anyone is welcome, you can check this forum here:
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?board=50.0
and here:
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1233.0

I'm on the east coast and will be riding all the way
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #130
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Probably no more than a few hundred riders.

The MTF (Motorcycle Tourers Forum) has a "group" ride planned from Key West to Deadhorse (and back to Key West for the truly insane) for June 5th thru 18th. UCC/UCCC

HayDuchessLives and I will be taking a run up to Deadhorse over Memorial Day weekend again, and there are bound to be many more riders on that road this summer, regardless of conditions. If you want company on the ride, you can usually meet other riders going that way at either the UAF dorms or at Adventure Cycleworks.
Haul Road Primer
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #131
togume
On the Black Beast

Oddometer: 48
Great information. Thanks, Goldie05 and Alcan!

The UCC/UCCC looks crazy. Have to give it to them that it would take determination to put that many miles in that short a time (if one's going for the record).

I'm thinking of starting this trip either in June or July (I have to be in CA for a wedding at the end of June), and it would be nice to meet other riders during this time. I'll check in here as well as the other resources to link up with other riders.
togume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #132
Wandering Nomad
Obsessive Traveller

Oddometer: 363
Talking Come Join Us!

Quote:
Great information. Thanks, Goldie05 and Alcan!

The UCC/UCCC looks crazy. Have to give it to them that it would take determination to put that many miles in that short a time (if one's going for the record).

I'm thinking of starting this trip either in June or July (I have to be in CA for a wedding at the end of June), and it would be nice to meet other riders during this time. I'll check in here as well as the other resources to link up with other riders.
I'm not going for the record. But I do intend to make this ride. It is one of the IBA rides I don't have in the book yet.
I tried it in '09 but my LT broke down in Miami. I took it home and grabbed the wing. It took five days steady riding to get to Fairbanks and thin I spent a week just riding around looking.

The MTF UCC will give yu a minimum of 10 days to get to Fairbanks and four days up the Dalton and back. I intend to sight see a bit on the way up and back.

Come join us. It is going to be fun.
Wandering Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #133
AirForce
Abbey Normal

Oddometer: 587

A little smoky on the north side of Atigun Pass from the fires in 04
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ (Seca)
1989 Honda GB600.
AirForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #134
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
I'm not going for the record. But I do intend to make this ride. It is one of the IBA rides I don't have in the book yet.
I tried it in '09 but my LT broke down in Miami. I took it home and grabbed the wing. It took five days steady riding to get to Fairbanks and thin I spent a week just riding around looking.

The MTF UCC will give yu a minimum of 10 days to get to Fairbanks and four days up the Dalton and back. I intend to sight see a bit on the way up and back.

Come join us. It is going to be fun.
You can do the Dalton in 48 hrs if you really pushed it and the weather played nicely. We made it up and back to Fairbanks in 3 days. On the way out it poured on us all the way outside Deadhorse until we got almost to the Yukon River Crossing. We still were able to ride the entire trip out in 14 hrs with a bout a 2 hours of taking breaks. Was a killer day but but we were psyched we did it!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #135
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Awesome pics! I was up there in '07. I'm starting to make plans for a return trip this August. More excited and inspired than ever!