Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #31
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jetmoto
Wow, I had no idea. the one on the bottom is stunning. Not so sure how fun it would be in Oregon though . You'd be squeegieing that floor non-stop for 9 months out of the year.
Could be fixed by elevating a wood floor over some sort of plastic corrugated type material with some ventilation automatically hooked up to a humidity sensor...

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #32
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
I thought that too, from a few random Craigslist searches where I saw them for at sale at $800-$1,200. Invariably, these would be a single sorry well used 20 foot unit. In order to get 40 foot non dented/non rusty containers in any realistic building quality and quantity (4 or more) you have to go to the shipping yards / resellers who want $2000-$2,500 plus $600 delivery each. No volume discounts either, when I asked. And, this is with the advantage of having the major shipping ports of Dallas AND Houston within a couple of hundred miles. Now, if you have a major shipping port in your HOME town, which Austin does not, you may save on the delivery but probably not the purchase cost, not unless you are willing to crouch on Craigslist and spend a month collecting bargain priced used ones one at time from different corners of the county.

Bingo. Most of the nice container homes use brand new, custom-made containers so there goes your cost savings and your "green" aspect.

I have been doing some plotting and planning on the subject over the last few years and concluded that if you were going to have to build your own containers then why bother with a 40 footer when you could transport as cheaply one 48ft. x 11.5 ft. wide. That's 320 square ft. versus 552 sq. ft.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #33
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
that's pretty cool.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw

I have to ask, what are the OP goals here? If just a cheap place to live get a used mobile home. My favorite one is a few miles from me, some one is living in half a double wide. They just walled up the open wall were the two halfs would attach. Got to wonder what the deal is there.

Lovely! Is the bathroom covered with just a big piece of plastic?

Over the years I've seen some add-ons to mobile homes. Some really nice and some really lousy. Now that we are RV'ers and semi-retirees it's amazing what you see in some of the RV parks around here.

One add-on that you REALLY need with a container for a tropical environment is a second roof. Give yourself some air space between the container roof and the tropical roof, or otherwise the inside temperatures will be impossibly hot.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #35
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt
that's pretty cool.

Can you imagine how long a dry, popcorn fart would echo in there?

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #36
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Needs a catwalk between the upper levels to get from side to side.

James Allen

Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #37
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Gordon
Needs a catwalk between the upper levels to get from side to side.
zip line
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #38
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch
zip line
MoBeta!

James Allen

Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #39
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,314
Quote:
that's pretty cool.

very cool!

The thread/post of the rest from that article
http://designcrave.com/2009-06-22/10...ntainer-homes/
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #40
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by B DIRT
@ captain thanks for the encouragment, and nomad for the links

Do you guys think it would really not be cost effective or cheaper to start with a few of these versus stick building from nothing?? I would think it to be cheaper to start with empty containers? A single container here can be had for a few hundred bucks delivered, could I build an equivelant size stick room for around the same money? I would like to keep much of the container exposed due to cool factors but finished where needed for insulating and weather exposure. Sorry guys I've never priced materials or have ever had anything built to compare this idea.
I think it depends on what you want to do and why. There are many variables. You could cut a simple door in a box and live in that, not much different than the ISBU's they use for military (see that ren ronin link first few posts). Or you can get very fancy like this couple in Upland, CA and their custom house. I can't imagine they are saving much money over traditional sticks, but who knows.

Different parts of the country might make a difference too. If you live at my mom's house, you can probably get by with no worries about more lax on the code violations and such. But I don't know how you can stand her cooking.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #41
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by B DIRT
stub our goals are to have something unique, different and green was also a big plus with the containers
We got our high cube for 2500 delivered and it's green, even says so
on the side. It should stay that way forever too.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #42
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 716
Just recently had a guy come into our jurisdiction who wants to do a multi-family affordable housing project with containers. Looks interesting enough. Hope he follows through with it.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #43
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:

that's pretty cool.

Just a regular steel truss frame commercial building which happens to have containers inside.
The shell would not have been inexpensive.

This is a container home, 40 footers times six:

Hybrid Seattle designed a nice little container cabin, the c320 studio.
They've paired down their website since my last visit; only a few pictures, no plans.

See-Double-You screwed with this post 07-14-2010 at 05:06 PM
See-Double-You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #44
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,123
Took a tour of these (retail only, not living area) in Boston last summer when the Volvo boats came thru. Made a great retail venue. They had a small unit in Faneuil Hall which they were using as a portable kiosk. I can see that being a great use for these containers.

But I live in southern Maine where we get (almost) real winters and I've not found a way to stop the thermal bridging except for cladding the exterior. Which is not really the reason to be building with these in the first place. I like the industrial look.

So, my models took a trip to the recycle center this spring.

I'm now back to the original ICF idea with horizontal metal roofing as siding.

I do think, however, that containers would be perfect for a warmer climate.

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #45
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
I'm one of those Texas guys mentioned earlier doing the metal building house deal.

In my area, a turn key metal building, fully erected, on a slab with insulation and walk in doors runs about 12 bucks a square foot. They typically take 4 days to build from bare dirt to locked and secured and the contractor driving away.

The main draw to this for me is that I have built metal buildings before and have the welders and tools to do so for myself, so the cost will be cheaper than I listed above.

This gets me a secure, dried in building in which I can live as I see fit while doing the interior frame out. The whole deal appeals to me since the structure is weather tight and secure from the beginning and can be completed at my leisure and budget.

My finished project will be half shop and half house. And before anyone poo poos on that idea, I have been living full time in a shop for years now without the benefit of any real improvements for domestic living. My workbenches and my bed are within feet of each other. I'm a dirtbag and I know it. The new place will offer at least the benefit of separated interior for work and living.

I figure I will dry in the building and put a small RV inside the shop portion to live in while finishing interior construction, then remove the RV and sell it once completed.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: