ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #61
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant
 
Renaissance Ronin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Oil Spill Central, Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch


Show-off...

This is exactly what I'm talking about. 'Cept yours would have green striations running thru it as the oxidation took over. You'd get that "Don't be steppin in my yard, lest you wanna be carried out on your shield" look...

Personally, I love it. Love it.
__________________
Are we there yet? Are we there YET?
My Shipping Container (ISBU) Housing Blog and ISBU Book are available here.
Renaissance Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #62
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant
 
Renaissance Ronin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Oil Spill Central, Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 57
Posterchild ISBU House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito
They can be nice
This is one of the most popular ISBU home pictures in existance. For good reason. It's cool.

But, it's expensive, too.

But, man, I'd live in it in a minute... It's worth every penny.
__________________
Are we there yet? Are we there YET?
My Shipping Container (ISBU) Housing Blog and ISBU Book are available here.
Renaissance Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #63
Elburrito
Donkey
 
Elburrito's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: The Valley eh
Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Ronin
This is one of the most popular ISBU home pictures in existance. For good reason. It's cool.

But, it's expensive, too.

But, man, I'd live in it in a minute... It's worth every penny.
curious...how much is expensive?
I'd like to see the cost breakdown for this type of home
__________________
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky.
-------------------------------------------
Thinking of getting a Smugmug account? Linky
Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #64
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant
 
Renaissance Ronin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Oil Spill Central, Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito
curious...how much is expensive?
I'd like to see the cost breakdown for this type of home
This home, built by a pal of mine (I'm much better looking, but I admit that I admire him) Peter DeMaria, runs a few hundred bucks a square foot (times 3,220 and change if you're thinking about duplicating it). It's in Redondo Beach, Ca. so you'd expect that.

This is like the "show pony" of Container Homes.

Realistically you're looking at $750,000 including a decent hunk of land.

However, his other company "Logical Homes" has several really cool and affordable homes in it's portfolio, attainable by most of us. Those homes start at about $150 a foot.

But like I said, a nice ISBU based home can be built for less. It's called "sweat equity" and it can knock that price tag down significantly.

We build pretty nice stuff and my homes (approx 2000 square feet or less) average about $55-75 a foot on the HIGH end.

You can see examples of them and the budgets, in my new book.
__________________
Are we there yet? Are we there YET?
My Shipping Container (ISBU) Housing Blog and ISBU Book are available here.
Renaissance Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #65
Elburrito
Donkey
 
Elburrito's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: The Valley eh
Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Ronin
This home, built by a pal of mine (I'm much better looking, but I admit that I admire him) Peter DeMaria, runs a few hundred bucks a square foot (times 3,220 and change if you're thinking about duplicating it). It's in Redondo Beach, Ca. so you'd expect that.

This is like the "show pony" of Container Homes.

Realistically you're looking at $750,000 including a decent hunk of land.

However, his other company "Logical Homes" has several really cool and affordable homes in it's portfolio, attainable by most of us. Those homes start at about $150 a foot.

But like I said, a nice ISBU based home can be built for less. It's called "sweat equity" and it can knock that price tag down significantly.

We build pretty nice stuff and my homes (approx 2000 square feet or less) average about $55-75 a foot on the HIGH end.

You can see examples of them and the budgets, in my new book.
__________________
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky.
-------------------------------------------
Thinking of getting a Smugmug account? Linky
Elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #66
Renaissance Ronin
ISBU Idiot Savant
 
Renaissance Ronin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Oil Spill Central, Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 57
Pissed Wait just a minute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito
It's NOT "Spam".

The point is that there are MANY other ways to achieve this.

Notice that I didn't even provide the name of the book, or the link.
__________________
Are we there yet? Are we there YET?
My Shipping Container (ISBU) Housing Blog and ISBU Book are available here.
Renaissance Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #67
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack
 
Dano 407's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: The orange groves, CA
Oddometer: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Ronin
Realistically you're looking at $750,000 including a decent hunk of land.

.


Jeebus, what does a 1948 stucco 1,200 sf POS go for in Redondo?
__________________
Shufflin' through the parking lot of an invisible 7-11
Dano 407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #68
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 13,981
There are some very nice looking homes in this thread.

Pretty cool!
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #69
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 13,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elburrito
Hardly.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #70
AngryScot
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,314
I welcome his comments and insights, he is not pushing the book down your throat so lets leave this be. The spam thing is not tolerated here very well but as long as it is informational and not all about the book etc I don't see an issue.

angryscot
adv mod
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #71
frewhl
daily rider
 
frewhl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: gulf region
Oddometer: 8,726
I am listening , in the South.
__________________
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #72
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
subybaja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage (Spenard)
Oddometer: 2,889
Not Spam. If Jesse James showed up in a fabrication thread to give welding tips, and linked his site for examples, that wouldn't be Spam either. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
But I live in southern Maine where we get (almost) real winters and I've not found a way to stop the thermal bridging except for cladding the exterior. Which is not really the reason to be building with these in the first place. I like the industrial look.
I'm still wondering how the insulation business works, 'cause we do get real winters here. Just use the boxes for structure, and cover them on all sides? Like Tripod said- after you frame it, insulate it, and side it, why bother with the steel?

Off to read the blog...
__________________
We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.
subybaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #73
bigdog99
CJ's bitch
 
bigdog99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Near cowtown, CA
Oddometer: 267
I would think if you were in a really mild climate and wanted to do a relatively simple design, such as a "las portales" courtyard design with bedrooms/kitchen/living area surrounding, and weren't too particular about trim and interior finish, you could get by cheaply, IF you were also building somewhere that local building codes weren't restrictive. Otherwise, in stacking up these units to make a traditional structure, your deconstruction and adaptation costs soon overtake your construction savings. Also, when you think in terms of traditional spaces and uses based on 2x4 stick framing, and then use those parameters as goals for your shipping containers, you create remodeling that may be unnecessary if you were to think of your shipping container space as a new medium and let your use fit the space.

Many local building depts only understand conventional framing, and anything you try to do "outside the box" isn't readily understood.
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #74
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 13,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog99

Many local building depts only understand conventional framing, and anything you try to do "outside the box" isn't readily understood.
This is true for factory type homes as well (not the typical double wide mobile home but one in which the walls, etc are factory built and assembled on-site).
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #75
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
I welcome his comments and insights, he is not pushing the book down your throat so lets leave this be. The spam thing is not tolerated here very well but as long as it is informational and not all about the book etc I don't see an issue.

angryscot
adv mod
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014