User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
clevishook OP
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,500
K1200 R sport

BMW k1200r sport. Anyone have any experience with one? Local bike shop has an '07 that I'd like to trade my '04 R 1150r on. It is an'07 with 11k miles and looks good. Wifey said she doesn't care, not sure that is good but I'll go with it. what says the asylum?
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
clevishook OP
stevedore

I didn't even have to offer to sell firearms for the purchase.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,052
Other than the suspect valvetrain, transmission, final drive, and ABS controller, they are pretty reliable.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
clevishook OP
stevedore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Other than the suspect valvetrain, transmission, final drive, and ABS controller, they are pretty reliable.
Sorry I'm ignorant. Can you elaborate?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
jdiaz

This K generation has issues with cam chains that are inadequately tensioned and get tossed at random, clunky shifting transmissions, final drives that can't handle the power, and ABS controllers that fail for no reason at all.

Don't get me wrong. They are fast, capable bikes, but have some serious potential issues lurking underneath.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
I just spat red wine all over my screen thanks to this comment
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
jdiaz

I fucking love riding my K1200GT, but I don't trust it farther than I can throw it.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,969
Quote:
This means nothing coming from a VW enthusiast who switched to Ford
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,969
A great friend of mine just bought a K1200R and aside from looking like a monkey fucking a football, he loves the thing.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
BMW k1200r sport. Anyone have any experience with one? Local bike shop has an '07 that I'd like to trade my '04 R 1150r on. It is an'07 with 11k miles and looks good. Wifey said she doesn't care, not sure that is good but I'll go with it. what says the asylum?
Rode a few hundred miles on one in the Alps a few years ago... Great frame for how much power is being run though it..very stout feeling bike...

Shifting from first to second at high RPMs is not a casual flick of the toe... Think: "CLUNK" but the transmission seems up to what feels like utter abuse to the rider even though you are just shifting....

Not particularly sporty feeling (long wheelbase, firm suspension, heavy steering, very heavy bike, lumbering at low speeds, etc)....

BUT.... all in all, it was a hell of a lot of fun to ride....it was eager to go fast (I think it makes 160+HP) and compliant and competent in doing so... definitely not a bike that wants to go less than 80MPH....It is perfectly comfortable in tripple digits on roads that would make some bikes feel unstable....

Brakes were outstanding...zero dive... The combined-braking set-up, firm front end and ABS makes it pretty easy to get speeds down safely if something surprises you...

It's a sledge-hammer, not a scalpel.... a nice sledge-hammer, no doubt, but just don't kid yourself about what kind of tool your buying....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,370
PS... the K12R is in a whole different universe than the 1150R...

Your bike is much more what I would expect from BMW... I really enjoy riding the 1150R... It's torqy, light, nimble, wants to lay down in turn and pop right back up....effortless....precise.....

The K12R was something different from any other BMW I have ridden... not in a bad way... just different... less an extension-of-you and more of a sitting-on-a-pile-of-dynamite experience....

Ride the the K... You'll like it...

Currious to hear what you think after riding it....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,453
Quote:
You forgot the crappy fuel injection mapping and questionable clutch. I know a guy who had two 1200GT's bought back by BMW because of fueling problems they couldn't fix. He bought an FJR or whatever that thing is. A friend had a K1200S that needed a clutch, transmission and some crap came apart and took out a cam. He sold that bike and bought a K1300S which somehow scored a cylinder and received a new/used engine. For some reason the dealer couldn't get a short block. A good example of why an extended warranty isn't a bad idea.

Having said that, aside from a fuel level sensor failure, my K1200R hasn't had any failures in the 28,000 miles I've had it. It makes a loud clunk going into first at a stop, the clutch screeches if you launch hard, the fueling at about 4k rpm can be terrible with a dead spot when the throttle is opened which isn't very good if you need to quickly get around someone or something.

It's fun to ride in situations that don't show off the defects.

Oh yeah, how many K1200R Sports did BMW sell in the USA? 5? I think they sold 12 regular K1200R's.

Here it is in it's natural element.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: