User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
mike54 OP
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,311
MC Wiring

Wiring on motorcycle used to be simple. Then came EFI And ECUs and CANBUS and it's not so straight forward any more.

I'm prepping a GSXR SRAD for the track and found something that was unexpected to me. The side stand switch has a diode in it. I assume this is to protect the circuit. Every one just pulls the switch and twists the wires together. In effect aren't they're removing that part of the protection from that circuit and relying on just the fuse. This probably has the same effect as losing the suspenders and keeping the belt. But someone thought is was important in the first place.

So wiring can get kind of confusing to me because I don't really know as much as I'd like too. Does any body know of a general reference to automotive or MC wiring and how to read the diagrams? I think something like that would help.

There's a lot of info on wiring harnesses for choppers and cafe racers and simple bikes. I'm OK with that. It's the later stuff that I feel kind of lost on.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
I know next to nothing - no, nothing - about wiring. But for a race bike, don't you rip out EVERYTHING that doesn't make it go?
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
mike54 OP
You don't get me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post
I know next to nothing - no, nothing - about wiring. But for a race bike, don't you rip out EVERYTHING that doesn't make it go?
That's the idea. I'm just trying to be smart about it. A lot of folks just start twisting wires together and end up with a bike that will turn the starter in gear and with the power off. I saw a tie down get pulled against a starter button while the bike was on the trailer once. Kind of exciting.

Part of my problem is I don't know what I don't know. I was just trying to start a general discussion about modern vehicle wiring.

Now this has gotten moved to Road Warriors. I have no idea why. If I'd wanted it in in Road Warriors I would have put it there. I'm more interested in the knowlege that the folks who frequent the Garage have.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Is the diode in series or in parallel with the sidestand switch?

If it's in parallel, then there's nothing to worry about. By shorting the wires is perfectly safe.
If in series, I'd for sure use diode where you short the wires. In other words, eliminate ONLY the switch part, leaving a diode (in correct polarity) in the circuit.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
mike54 OP
You don't get me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
Is the diode in series or in parallel with the sidestand switch?

If it's in parallel, then there's nothing to worry about. By shorting the wires is perfectly safe.
If in series, I'd for sure use diode where you short the wires. In other words, eliminate ONLY the switch part, leaving a diode (in correct polarity) in the circuit.
Could I know this from testing with a multimeter? If put my multimeter on the ohm setting and put the leads across the switch I get infinity with the swith open and 0.548 with the switch closed. If I switch the polarity of the leads I get infinity with the switch open or closed.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Tripped1
Banned

Oddometer: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Could I know this from testing with a multimeter? If put my multimeter on the ohm setting and put the leads across the switch I get infinity with the swith open and 0.548 with the switch closed. If I switch the polarity of the leads I get infinity with the switch open or closed.
Its in series then, you would get a short whether or not the switch was open in one direction or the other, and the on/off behavior otherwise.

Without seeing the overall wring diagram I'd guess the branch of the circuit that side stand switch is on is in parallel to a relay of some sort (likely the CDI). With DC you only really use diodes to protect against counter-electomagnetic discharge from the fields in coils shutting down (which basically backfeeds a BIG amperage back down a low current line).

Just leave the diode and remove the sidestand switch.

I don't remember if the SRADS had the same design, but the later K-series had dangerous tip-over switches as well, if you kicked the tail hard enough it would shut down the ignition, which can be pretty dangerous.

So far as reading a scat, a schematic is a schematic, check out a Haynes or find the service manual, it should have the overall drawings for the motorcycle.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
mike54 OP
You don't get me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Its in series then, you would get a short whether or not the switch was open in one direction or the other, and the on/off behavior otherwise.

Without seeing the overall wring diagram I'd guess the branch of the circuit that side stand switch is on is in parallel to a relay of some sort (likely the CDI). With DC you only really use diodes to protect against counter-electomagnetic discharge from the fields in coils shutting down (which basically backfeeds a BIG amperage back down a low current line).

Just leave the diode and remove the sidestand switch.

I don't remember if the SRADS had the same design, but the later K-series had dangerous tip-over switches as well, if you kicked the tail hard enough it would shut down the ignition, which can be pretty dangerous.

So far as reading a scat, a schematic is a schematic, check out a Haynes or find the service manual, it should have the overall drawings for the motorcycle.
I've got a factory service manual so diagrams aren't a problem. My being able to make sense of them can be.
The sides tand switch, the clutch and the neutral switch are all connected together. They actually spend a couple pages in the manual discussing trouble shooting the system.

There is a tip-over switch. I'll have to look into that too.

The diode is built into the switch itself. What rating of diode would I get to wire in?

Thanks

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Tripped1
Banned

Oddometer: 8,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I've got a factory service manual so diagrams aren't a problem. My being able to make sense of them can be.
The sides tand switch, the clutch and the neutral switch are all connected together. They actually spend a couple pages in the manual discussing trouble shooting the system.

There is a tip-over switch. I'll have to look into that too.

The diode is built into the switch itself. What rating of diode would I get to wire in?

Thanks

I couldn't even guess without knowing if its a switching if protective diode.

You said that they all of the kill sensors are on one circuit? Do you know what the source is and what they connect to (I assume a relay somewhere, but I haven't taken apart a SRAD for 20 years now).
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
mike54 OP
You don't get me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I couldn't even guess without knowing if its a switching if protective diode.

You said that they all of the kill sensors are on one circuit? Do you know what the source is and what they connect to (I assume a relay somewhere, but I haven't taken apart a SRAD for 20 years now).
There's a turn signal/side stand relay. If the side stand is down and the bike is in neutral the relay will energize and allow current to the coils. If the side stand is up the bike will start in any gear. It shows the clutch position switch connected to the starter relay. I'm not sure how that works.

The schematic shows the diode on the ground side of the side stand switch. I assume this prevents current from flowing from the ground side to the hot side.

Wish I could post up the diagram. Doing an ascii representation doesn't work.

Here's one
Don't know how much it helps

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...3GIX750USA.jpg

Do stand up guys lie?