Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #136
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
My son and I are riding back up here this Saturday. The high is forecast at 42 degrees.
I did that ride from Norcal last October right around this time and it was amazing! My only nit was I wished for a few more horses (I rode my 1150 gs) to keep up with my buddy in his zo6 corvette. He nudged the gas a bit and just walked away from me! Have fun!

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #137
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,767
Any of you guys have experience with installing a TRE (timing retard eliminator) on the Busa? Interested in what kind of difference it makes to the power in lower gears, how (if) the idle and throttle response might be changed, etc. I picked a new one up really cheap off the local Craigslist, and was wondering about it... haven't installed it though.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697

Skowinski screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 04:25 PM Reason: spelling error!
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #138
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Any of you guys have experience with installing a TRE (timing retard eliminator) on the Busa? Interested in what kind of difference it makes to the power in lower gears, how (if) the idle and throttle response might be changed, etc. I picked a new one up really cheap off the local Craigslist, and was wondering about it... haven't installed it though.
I installed an original Ivan TRE years ago on my 99 copper . It does give more power in the lower gears but at a cost to your ET in the 1/4. The stock setup helps to control violent wheel spin launches. Try it for yourself and see what you think. Mine is in a box in the garage.
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #139
Skowinski
Chordate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraber View Post
I installed an original Ivan TRE years ago on my 99 copper . It does give more power in the lower gears but at a cost to your ET in the 1/4. The stock setup helps to control violent wheel spin launches. Try it for yourself and see what you think. Mine is in a box in the garage.
Thanks sraber. Sounds like you didn't really care for it.

I asked because I have heard so much conflicting info on this modification. The guys at hayabusa.org seem to almost universally despise them, saying to buy the ECU editor software (sounds complicated...). There is a Sportrider (I think) Busa vs ZX12R test online where they say it's the best thing since beer was invented. And, I've heard everything in between, poor idling, better idling, more power in lower gears, no difference in power in lower gears, etc, etc.....

- Lao Tsu

Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #140
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,095
Brakes are an easy fix. I did HH pads and Braided lines. I also have the factory Gel seat and heli Bar risers (Up/Back about 3/4s of an inch. Makes a world of difference for me. I dont tour on mine but know a Lot of guys who do. Find a set of Corbin Beetle Bags and roll the miles.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #141
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Forget the TRE.

Get the ECU flashed.

Preferably with a dyno run.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #142
Skowinski
Chordate

Been considering getting this: http://www.boostbysmith.com/ecu.html

Anyone have experience with this setup? Looks like it offers total access to the ECU. For example, you could get rid of the timing retard in the lower gears without affecting anything else.

The TRE basically locks the system into 5th gear ignition/fueling mapping, which gets rid of the retard in lower gears and gets rid of the top speed limiter (I could care less about that... ). But, my understanding is that there are some negative consequences of going that route, although I'm not completely clear what they are...

- Lao Tsu

Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #143
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

I have the TRE from My Busa sitting on my workbench. Bike ran funky with it installed. Not to mention its not needed on a 99
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #144
Skowinski
Chordate

If I remember correctly, the 1999 and 2000 models were unrestricted, and the timing retard and speed limiters came in 2001 (?), so yeah, not needed on those first few years models.

I've read soooooo much conflicting information on all of this, as I said earlier in this thread. I've spent some time over the past few weeks trying to get to the bottom of it, still nothing but people saying opposite things about the same modifications. I'm honestly about done with it now, not really sure why I am interested in making the bike run better when I stop to think about it. It's a beast like it is, and it starts easily, idles perfectly, never hiccups at any throttle setting or load.

I'd be smart leaving the damn thing alone, and spend my money and time just riding it!

- Lao Tsu

Skowinski screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 05:23 PM
Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #145
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Oddometer: 174
Here is mine and My lovely Wife

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #146
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Further to my last, the new bars are fitted.

I didn't like the bars that came with the kit (not enough pullback at the ends), so I swapped them for a set of Renthals I had in the cupboard ("road bike low" model).

Went for a blast up my fav twisties yesterday. Brilliant! The bars (obviously) give you much more leverage.

So, so, so much more comfortable....it is like a new bike.

If you are thinking about a SPORT tourer, THIS is the solution!

Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #147
mjn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Without a doubt, the best bike I've ever owned. I love my fat sportbike.

Handles the twisties well;

No shortage of grunt;

It's even a decent trackday machine..

'78 Hawk
'71 SL350
mjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #148
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
I'm in.....

Here are a couple links to my pics of me on my 06.

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...eid=236&page=3

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...eid=236&page=3

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...31316064690747

I hope you can view them, I suck at anything computer oriented.That 06 is my third busa,I had a 02 ( scary) a 08 ( meh....) and now my 06 which I imported up from the States. Love the LE colors.I spent last winter kitting it up,for touring, which it does with ease. I have Heli bars,heated grips, stomp pADS, gIvi racks on side,SW Motech for top rack,front and rear power ports,a variety of hard luggage,braided lines,upgraded pads and Avon Storms which on my 02 lasted for 28,000 kilometers before they were done.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...2&po=32&pc=629

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...4&po=94&pc=629

Those are last year on the 02,before I went to hard luggage, looks a bit like a jumble sale on the back actually......

LOVE LOVE LOVE my busa. The ZX14 fit me better right out of the box,but its looks didn't evoke the same visceral kick I get when I look at my busa. Sport touring doesnt get any easier or more comfortable than when you are on a busa. The 08 had a seat that killed me, I was cutting squares out of my yoga mat and ghetto taping them to the seat.

Stock gen 1 seats are fantastically comfortable.The downside.....huge turning radius, for me, so when you finally figure out you went the wrong way....sheeeet......weight, but mine is lowered so easier to handle,although my last trip I carried 82 lbs of luggage....gulp.....12.5 lbs all the printed crap I collected from every visitor center I stopped at.....
and thats it I think.

Well, except....it is very very hard to be restrained on this bike. My fastest on a public road was 270 k before I puckered up. The bike hadn't even broken a sweat....And the other day I was out after 2 weeks of crappy weather and I may have twisted the throttle with enthusiasm because I was " paced" let's say, by a off duty police officer doing 160 k in a 80 zone.

Two cruisers intercepted me to " have a word".......cough,cough.......

For the record, I am a 51 yr "young" LOL, female with 5 kids,5'4 tall and about 120 lbs...the busa can and will fit everyone,all shapes and sizes...( although I can't tell you how many times I have heard...." You are the smallest person I have ever seen on a bike like that" or my personal favorite...." That sure is a lotta bike for a little lady"...

Cheers!!!!!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #149
Skowinski
Chordate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post
Without a doubt, the best bike I've ever owned. I love my fat sportbike......
Fat sportbike! I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...2&po=32&pc=629

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Or...4&po=94&pc=629

Those are last year on the 02,before I went to hard luggage, looks a bit like a jumble sale on the back actually......
....Cheers!!!!!
Love the riding outfit. That's way different. The green boots really set off the pink leathers...

- Lao Tsu

Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #150
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

I want this for Mine!. Bigcc Racing Supercharger from the UK.