Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #61
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,550
You might look over on the turbo forum. They have alternative turbos you might wish to use instead.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #62
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,431
New Photos!

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #63
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Oddometer: 20
Cool2 Old red xj650 turbo beater progress

Made some progress on the $350 old red turbo beater over the past month or two, even with the chilling rain and cold winds, holidays, etc. The time consuming part was just removing the rust collected over 12 years sitting outdoors. I didn't feel like sandblasting another frame (as I did on an XR600R) so I wire brushed most of it off and primed the results. Used spray can black enamel on the frame and fine steel wool on the rims. Painted the rims with primer and then coated with Duplicolor wheel coating paint from their spray can--GRAPHITE-- color. Every nut and bolt wire wheeled clean and misc tabs, brackets too and then painted. Seems the best gloss black paint for everything is the gloss black Dupli Color engine enamel 500* paint. It hardens very nicely like the old Dupont IMRON paint I used to spray in the 80s. Plus it has a really glossy black sheen....works great even on parts not going to be heated up--it's become my favorite. New rubber from Kenda, cheap and excellent grip and quality for the price. Past few years I used Kenda K761 tires on my KLR650 and loved em on the street.(German Mefos were best dual tires). Found an excellent polish for faded plastic fenders called Colorcote 2000. Has a dye that works into the sun-whitened plastic areas as it polishes, and the result is amazing. Various colors available. So, now to re-wire with the harness, re-attach misc parts as they are cleaned and rebuilt, bolt on turbo and pipes, and repaint in a new paint scheme. This will be my main about town bike, so it will have my own paint job. I plan on a two tone metallic blue with some white and silver streaks..company on ebay based in San Diego has some great color choices...I'll use a light Electric blue metallic and a darker Daytona blue metallic divided by white with silver borders.....more pics coming later!
Kentuckysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #64
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 142
You can get rebuild kits for the turbo from gpopshop.com for $129.

http://gpopshop.com/rebuild-kitsmits...-rebuild-kits/

A guy named Mike Oberle had a great website up a few years ago detailing his rebuild of a Seca turbo. He upgraded his turbo with an impeller from a TC-04 and got boost on about 1500rpm sooner.

I owned one fore a few years. Frankly, it was in sad shape and only was entertaining for about 3000rpm of the range. Don't miss it, but wouldn't mind having another and playing with boost, or dropping in a 900 motor.
MacMcMacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #65
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Talking $350 red yamaha xj650lj turbo beater

I think I read that turbo mod he did on his bike with the TC04 wheel swap. If I recall, he was a machinist and turned down or radiused the wheel and housing to fit using his lathe. I might pick up another turbo for my beater and do that later, just to have a backup. I have a great backup engine already and I want a backup turbo to modify a bit. These bikes are cheap as dirt right now but I notice many are being broken down and sold as parts on ebay constantly. That will make them even rarer in due time. I remember buying Nortons and Triumphs for dirt cheap prices back in the early 1980s and today they are astronomically priced. Sold a cherry '75 Norton 850 Commando in '88 for $1500. So, maybe these oddball Yamaha turbo bikes will be collector stuff in the not-so-distant future. I just wanted a bike completely different from the run of the mill sport bikes of today, something funky but fun. Fortunately, So. Calif. is loaded with unwanted, abandoned, out of style/fashion bikes from the past, so it's a pickers paradise....
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #66
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Of all the turbos, the Seca seems to be easiest to find, and cheap. The XN85 is rarer than hen's teeth and probably worth a few buck to the right person. Finding parts would not be fun either. The Honda and Kawasaki will never be cheap unless absolutely thrashed. The Honda is too complex to be a beater, or an enjoyable bike to wrench on, and the Kawasaki has enough performance potential to keep demand for it high. The Seca is the poor man's turbo, but certainly backyard tuneable with the pressurized carbs and lack of computerization. I'd consider a radical restyle if I got another though. First thing to go would be that fairing, which looks like it is effective but creates huge amounts of buffeting.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #67
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Eek Old red xj650 turbo beater progress

It would be cool to do a carbon fiber fairing in a new style for this bike, although I like the weird funky angular style but it looks incomplete with too many huge gaps. Plus, the fiberglass is THICK and weighs a ton! It would have been lighter if they had Boeing make the fairings out of aluminum! I have lots of other fairing sections sitting around from all kinds of bikes like R1s, R6s, CBRs, YZFs, GSXRs, and everything else imaginable due to my roommate's repair shop, so maybe this summer I'l build a new fairing from all the pieces around here. It might be fun to screw around with the fairings and make something completely different for my old Yamahopper Turdo. The cheapness is the whole reason I bought the bike and I'm spending very little on the rebuild, mainly because it's simply rusted and was just neglected. All the parts are in great shape under the surface grime and rust. Everything is actually excellent, just needing paint..the turbo spins freely, the carbs are now cleaned, but I made what many mechanics consider a cardinal sin-- taking the carb block apart, thereby breaking all the seals between carbs....so it caused me to have to replace every o-ring and gasket on top of the regular rebuild and cleaning....BUT...I might have had to do it later at some other point in time since the parts are 31 years old anyway and might have started leaking.....So, it was a toss up....
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #68
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,431
When I look at your pics, I am amazed how similar the parts are to the Seca 750. I bet most of the chassis parts are interchangeable - doesn't help with the fairing parts, of course. It's pretty obvious that Yamaha did a parts bin special.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #69
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Ran across one of these last year on local classifieds. Went to look at it, sitting in the guy's garage in a puddle of its own bodily fluids... at $700 I passed, didn't need another project. Sure love the blatant 80s look of these things though.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #70
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckysurfer View Post
... the carbs are now cleaned, but I made what many mechanics consider a cardinal sin-- taking the carb block apart, thereby breaking all the seals between carbs....so it caused me to have to replace every o-ring and gasket on top of the regular rebuild and cleaning....BUT...I might have had to do it later at some other point in time since the parts are 31 years old anyway and might have started leaking.....So, it was a toss up....

Don't forget to pull the inlet tube off of the fuel pump and pull out the little conical filter. It collects a lot of junk over the years. The pressure regulator can also take a set and not respond to boost. The carbs will run dry and you will get lots of popping and bucking and flames out the exhaust. I hooked up a bicycle pump to mine through a rubber tube and gave it a good pump to break it free. There is also a little check valve leading into the carbs which can seize up and prevent fuel flow. If the fuel pump won't spin, give it a good tap with a hammer to free it up. You can also run mineral spirits through it to clean it out. Google "Bruce Enderle" and download a .pdf called "Saving Old Standards". It has a sidebar on what he did to make a Yamapuffer a truly unique and attractive bike. It helps when you work at Yamaha HQ though.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #71
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Old red xj650 turbo beater progress

I'll do all you say.....every bit of advice helps and I'm open to it....this bike is actually therapeutic for me after losing about $80,000 on a bike shop fiasco in the Philippines the past 3 years. (Rained non stop for 6 months straight on Luzon both 2011 and 2012, killing the business). Plus, I forgot to consider their stature in the overall business plan-- their little feets can't touch the ground whilst sitting on a YZ250-450F or CRF250-450 or KXF250-450 etc..etc...beautiful beaches and girls though!!!........anyhow, this Yamaha turbo is pretty damn straightforward and simple and a breeze to work on. It really does look exactly like the same frame, motor, and other parts off the standard Seca 650/750. And even those bikes have their 80s charm to them, albeit the lead sled weight is intimidating, just like mine. Confidentially, I have a long suppressed urge to pick up an old Honda Ascot to flick around town in this horrible L.A. traffic, lane splitting all the way with that great narrow profile....anyone know the old Ascot pros and cons?...might be my next therapeutic project after the turbo buzz wears off. I'm an incurable restorer, it's a mechanical disease, maybe even genetically based!...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #72
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I have an 82 Turbo I'm going to restore but I need to finish my 79 KZ 1300 first.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #73
Kentuckysurfer
retrojets

Pissed Old red XJ650 Turbo beater getting rebuilt

Old red Yamaha XJ650L beater coming together slowly. EVERY nut and bolt, tab, bracket, wiring connector plug, electrical component, plastic piece, cable, etc has to be cleaned, checked, painted, refitted, etc. Waiting for correct carb parts to arrive, O-rings, floats, jets etc scattered around ebay or L.A. and getting really hard to collect for the final push. All the lower fiberglass panels are cracked, gouged, scratched, burned, or otherwise damaged necessitating repair or repainting, a long labor consuming process....that's just the nature of a $300 abandoned bike restoration, but man does it take time....left my main tools in the P.I. at my failed shop over there so it slows things down...BUT, this bike will rock when done soon....the overall expenditure is really just TIME...but that adds up to waaay more than the dollar value of the bike....but, nice to ride something you restored with your own sweat and labor.....also, seems they made some changes on the wiring harness along the line between '82 and '83 perhaps....I bought a cleaner one off ebay and a few connectors were slightly different near the battery area, anyone notice this? I plan to graft an FJ1200 front end on once I'm running for the thicker forks and better brakes....so far I spent around maybe $250 including tires, primer, cleaners, harness spray paint...not too bad...next comes the real bend over job with the Californicating DMV.....REGISTRATION......AFTER 12 YEARS of laying around in a back yard--IT'S STILL IN THE SYSTEM! Might have to sell this bike when I'm done just to avoid Calif debtors DMV prison...maybe I will register it out of state or buy a new frame from another state??
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #74
KJ Knowles
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I was digging through a mountain worth of old photos last night and ran across a couple of my 1983 Seca Turbo. (Polaroids, no less!). Photos were probably taken in 1984. This seemed an appropriate place to put 'em!

I didn't care for the silver paint or the "badges and cheesy vinyl graphics everywhere" that was the current Japanese flavor of the time, so I removed all of the offending bits and had it painted Porsche Carrera Red. I bought it to have something a bit more "civilized" than the Guzzi Le Mans III I owned at the same time that was used for more knee-dragging type purposes.

I sold it in 1986 when I was laid off along with a few million others in oil related businesses in Texas and needed funds. Like many other owners, I reworked the wastegate for increased boost since it was far too conservatively boosted from the factory. Before modding the wastegate I actually ran it awhile with the wastegate disabled and relied on the popoff valve to protect the engine. It was actually very well behaved like that.

Other than what I considered a sub-par rear brake and a bit too much drive shaft reaction, I really liked the unique beast.

1983 Moto Guzzi Le Mans III
1976 Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans (Stolen)

KJ Knowles screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 01:14 PM Reason: typo
KJ Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #75
wabbit45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
There's a dealer near me that has had a 1982 Seca Turbo in their showroom for the past 15 years. It's in pretty much new shape. I did notice a tiny repair flaw on one of the plastics, but no big deal. I got the guy's number. I am very tempted, but I feel that he thinks he'll get a fortune for it. I'd pay maybe $1,500-$2,000 for it at best. Sitting that long it'll need carb work and God knows if the turbo even works at this point. Probably need all new hoses too and a new petcock. Other than that she is a beauty. Wish I could find an elusive 1983 Turbo though.
wabbit45 is offline   Reply With Quote