Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
90R100GS OP
Wrench Turner

Oddometer: 260
Ever get lost and find something awesome?

I have to post this somewhere since I'm so ecstatic of what I found.

Story:

I'm in Conshohocken, Pa and being the normal philadelphian, I like to frequent the Jersey Shore (Harvey Cedars/Long beach Island, not snookie). Its been a while since I've been there and my friends been bugging me to go.

That morning I looked at the map 1000 times for directions, and assured myself I wouldn't get lost.

Instead of taking route 72 like I was supposed to, I took Route 73 to atlantic city. As soon as I became unfamiliar with the area, I grabbed the GPS. I found a shortcut back to 72 through a little town called chatworth, Nj. While tooling through the podunk little town, I found the Mecca of parts for my Can-Am ASE.

This guy has by far the largest collection of Can-Am and old ATK dirtbike parts. Most of it are NOS. He was a dealer for both originally. I gave him my VIN and my bike was purchased at his location in 1985. Unfortunately he only accepts cash but he's got all the parts I need to restore my ASE 250. I put an order in since he wasn't open but caught me peeking in the windows (he lived next door). Hopefully I can get my ASE back in Grade A condition. I don't care what it costs.
89 Katana,01 Bandikat,90 R100GS,99 Tiger,92 FZR, Duke 2, Can-Am ASE250, 98 R1200C

90R100GS screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 10:27 AM
90R100GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,688
I see you mention a CX 500 "cafe". Do you have a photo? I once owned a CX650E, a Euro model sold in Canada in limited numbers. Basically a turbo without the turbo and full fairing but a small quarter fairing. I thought of it as a Japanese Moto Guzzi at the time and I suspect it was responsible for my love of Italian machines and V-twin characterisitics in general ever since. I had to source a luggage rack for it from Honda UK because Honda Canada offered nothing for it here. (not easy to do in the days before the internet) I maybe saw 15 or 20 other ones ever to this day. They were sold here in either white (mine) or black. Very rare and deadly reliable. It sounds like something you might have liked.

RedDogAlberta screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 12:53 PM
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
PNW Buttercup
Dancing with dirt roads..

Oddometer: 1,757
Don't get lost .... often... for very long

but I did follow one of these and found an incredible lake..

PNW Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Let's see some pics of your can-am
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
90R100GS OP
Wrench Turner

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
I see you mention a CX 500 "cafe". Do you have a photo? I once owned a CX650E, a Euro model sold in Canada in limited numbers. Basically a turbo without the turbo and full fairing but a small quarter fairing. I thought of it as a Japanese Moto Guzzi at the time and I suspect it was responsible for my love of Italian machines and V-twin characterisitics in general ever since. I had to source a luggage rack for it from Honda UK because Honda Canada offered nothing for it here. (not easy to do in the days before the internet) I maybe saw 15 or 20 other ones ever to this day. They were sold here in either white (mine) or black. Very rare and deadly reliable. It sounds like something you might have liked.

I wish I would have kept the photos, I just got rid of it. I didn't know that Honda made a turbo version of the CX. I've been meaning to get a turbo motorcycle (Probably a GPz) for a while.

As per your requests, Pictures of my Can-Am:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alex.doerstling/CanAmASE

Does it run: did before the stator broke

Will you sell it: only on at the reading of my will

I bought it for 500 at a farm auction. The title is clear too. I'd love to get a Sonic 560 or Sonic 500 and dual sport it.
89 Katana,01 Bandikat,90 R100GS,99 Tiger,92 FZR, Duke 2, Can-Am ASE250, 98 R1200C

90R100GS screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 09:14 PM
90R100GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I had an 83 just like that.
A really neat bike...wish I'd kept it.
The turbo was quite rare and big bucks.
Apparently quite fast.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote