User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
anxiouscowboy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
1980 KZ440 New mufflers and handlebars

This is my first bike. I got it when I lived upstate NY and I live in Brooklyn now. It's my first bike. It runs great--I just put a new exhaust on it. The old one was all sorts of fucked. I also replaced those ugly miniape hangers with drag bars. I like the drag bars, but wish they were wider. Going to wrap the headers with black next.
anxiouscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
anxiouscowboy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
next projects I wanna get going are painting the engine flat black, figuring out what to paint the gas tank, paint wheels, wrap headers, get those military style firestone ans tires. I like the look of thick tires but i might unfortunately have to ditch my front fender to do so :(

Oh yeah, new grips, I've been riding without a left grip. Had to cut it off.

anxiouscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Those are great bikes , I had a KZ400 and then rebuilt an LTD 440 . Racked up about 100,000 miles between them . I converted the 440 to belt drive and it was great . Cut noise and vibration about 75% . Now after many bikes since then , its funny you should mention the factory handlebars . They were the most comfortable of any bike I have ever ridden ! If you sit in a chair and just raise your arms to handlebar height , those bars were at the natural angles . Here are 2 pics of my old bikes , note 440 pic is pulling a trailer to Sturgis in 81' .

Gramp-Z screwed with this post 12-14-2010 at 02:02 PM
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
BulletProof
aka Ropeman

Oddometer: 143
This being your first bike, not sure how much you know, make sure you take the time to keep it tip top. before you blow your wad on paint, make sure you're up to date on the maintenance crap. Valve adjustments (you have tappets, it will take you an afternoon of fiddleing), clean/lubed chain, brake pads and brake fluid. these bikes are super easy to work on! great city bike too!
BulletProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletProof
This being your first bike, not sure how much you know, make sure you take the time to keep it tip top. before you blow your wad on paint, make sure you're up to date on the maintenance crap. Valve adjustments (you have tappets, it will take you an afternoon of fiddleing), clean/lubed chain, brake pads and brake fluid. these bikes are super easy to work on! great city bike too!
I'll second that. If you paint the engine black make sure you give it upwards of a week to cure so it doesn't scratch if you look at it too hard. Also MAKE SURE that you have NO leaks of gas/oil onto the paint job for at least the first few heat cycles. Just ask me how I know.

Also, your tank/side covers look to be in really nice shape, consider before you paint them the cost associated with anything other than a shitty paint job. Kind of a nice color really anway.

I'd suggest a brake overhaul and new chain/sprockets, tune-up before the cosmetic stuff. Doesn't matter how good it looks if it won't get you where you're going or stop you once you're there
1967 Honda CM91 -> CT90 conversion
1986 BMW K75 - Storage until I figure out a way to tell the wife
MayerMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletProof
...and make sure the ignition advancer is oiled (and advances the ignition timing cam).

First good item would be to replace the lead/acid battery with an AGM-style battery (no more checking water level; no more acid dripping on the chain guard; longer life with less headaches). Another would be to replace the sealed headlight bulb with a H-4 modular unit.
RE: handlebars - you could also go with a dual-sport bar; wider and a little more comfortable. Could also go with bar-end mirrors too.

Also - here is the motherlode of KZ Twins info: http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?mforum=kz400

zap2504 screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 02:34 PM
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote