Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #31
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Yep, it does tracks, I'd love to see the tracks, you've probably got it filled to the max with all your driving, way to go!
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #32
Land OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Guess you're not in Estes anymore. My aunt and uncle own the http://www.warminghouse.com/ right on the edge of town. They're great historians of the area. Wondering if you saw any ghosts at the Stanley, or if "Christine" was still in the parking lot out front? Enjoying the RR, can't wait for more! subscribed...
Jenna, no, I'm not in Estes anymore. Actually, I left Colorado a week ago and headed west. I saw a mighty, mighty big pond today. It smelled salty.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This ride report is currently about two and a half weeks behind the riding I'm currently doing.

My goal is to get it caught up by the time I get to WestFest Thursday or Friday. We'll see how that goes, because one of my all-time fav'rite stretches of pavement starts a relatively short day's ride from here.

Stay tuned,
Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,362
When I grow up, I want to take a trip like this too

Until then, I'll just follow along with you. Looks like a great trip so far

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #34
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,756
Love Denver. I was there on business the weekend the Braves won the World Series whatever year that was watching from the Hooters bar on that street that has all the tourist stuff.

That area where the capitol, mint, and museum are located is way cool.

See you made it to the coast. Keep it coming.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #35
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Chris: When you went into Estes Park, did you take the paved road or that dirt road that is one way (west I think). I'm wondering what that dirt road is like.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #36
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc
Chris: When you went into Estes Park, did you take the paved road or that dirt road that is one way (west I think). I'm wondering what that dirt road is like.
Howard, if you mean Old Fall River Road that is one way up to the Alpine Visitors' Center, we didn't take it this time because it was closed (ie, not opened yet for '10). I went up it a couple of times on a trip a few years ago -- once in the rain. It's a pretty tame road. People were driving it in cars.

It was '07, IIRC. There's a report on here from that trip. It's called, "Changed my oil and went for a ride."

Chris
Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #37
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Chris: Yes that is the road I was referring to. I looked at it via Google Earth and best I could tell was that it is a DIRT road and if it rains, I would think it would be a pain on the bike with street tires.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #38
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc
Chris: Yes that is the road I was referring to. I looked at it via Google Earth and best I could tell was that it is a DIRT road and if it rains, I would think it would be a pain on the bike with street tires.
It is dirt.

I was on Tourances -- and overloaded, as I typically am on a trip -- and it wasn't bad in the rain. And I'm not a big fan of mud. The mud isn't sticky clay like we have in the Upstate, BTW.

Chris
Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 AM   #39
Land OP
Wanderer

After a night in the historic Stanley Hotel in estes Park, I was finishing up the packing of the bike for our ride through Rocky Mountain natioanl park and onward.

What was Mary Elizabeth up to?

Baggin' some elusive prey with her camera phone.

The prey?

We mounted up and spent a good chunk of the day in Rocky Mountain National Park.

We got mooned by an elk.

The park is beautiful, and we had a great time. The Old Fall River Road was closed (or not yet open for the season?), so we were on pavement the whole time.

After completing Trail Ridge Road -- the highest continuous paved road in the country, BTW -- we exited to the west and had a late lunch in Grand Lake.

Stay tuned,
Chris

Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #40
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
When I grow up, I want to take a trip like this too
I'll say it before one of the Peanut Gallery (most likely either DirtDabber or phideaux) does :

You don't have to be grown up to do a trip like this -- just look at me.

Chris
Old 07-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #41
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Hey Chris: That elk mooning you, I had a photo but deleted it, I found a tree that looks just like the elks rear end. I wish I could use the tree as a tag but it was on a non-state maintained ROAD (trail) near the Green River near Hendersonville.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #42
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud

she's cute.............must have bad eyes
Hey, Mark, do you remember that picture that you took of me on the ride with DirtDabber last year at the Eastern Rendezvous? You know, the one that you took a while after I did this ? It conveys this basic idea:

Take a look at that one again. I'd post it for you, but I don't have a copy handy.
Maybe DirtDabber does.

Chris
Old 07-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #43
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyVR
Juliet says "Hey" to both of you and have fun!
Hey to the two of you, Oliver.

Chris
Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #44
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
You know the old saying, "This is the knife my grandfather made. My father replaced the handle, and I replaced the blade."
very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
Stay tuned ...
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #45
Land OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
Wish you had checked out Tentspace before coming through Paducah...
I may head through there on the way home.

What are the hours of the National Quilt Museum?

Chris