Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #181
danbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thumb No.1

I'd been on the lookout for a nice Enfield for a while. But hadn't been able to find one I wanted. And I'd always liked the No.1, when they bought it out in 303, it ticked all the boxes for me. It's a beautiful rifle, both to shoot and to look at. It certainly puts pigs on the deck anyway!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #182
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,044
13 pages and no turkeys.

These are a few of my nephews with their turkeys. They are all about 10.

Last year with my birds. I shot one and while I sent to pick it up another one started gobbling. I sat down quickly, held the first one under my legs and called in the second bird.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #183
danbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thumb fun

Mate, that looks like a ton of fun Those boys must love doing that stuff.
In the picture with your two birds, I noticed how good your cam gear is. That gear works great!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #184
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,438
I have to put a sharp stick on the front of my car to poke the deer out of the way so I can get down my driveway.

Therefore, I hunt deer in Northern Vermont. This year I saw more moose tracks than deer tracks.

So here is a pic of my buddy Jeff taking a shit in the woods.

Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 AM   #185
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Therefore, I hunt deer in Northern Vermont. This year I saw more moose tracks than deer tracks.
I went up to Pittsburg, NH last Friday planning on spending the entire week up there. Unfortunately, this might be the worst hunting year in that area in the last 25 years. The acorn crop was absolutely terrible and the deer are staying low and sticking to the swampy areas to be close to whatever browse they can find. They are not moving at all.

There was a small bit of snow on Thursday so when I got up there on Friday I went to a parcel I've hunted before and did a couple miles up a logging road. It follows a ridge and I was hoping to cut a track I could follow. Absolutely nothing to be found.

The next day I went with three of my buddies to hunt just a mile south of the Canadian border. We hit the low-lying areas looking for some sign but came up empty. We tried a different area later in the afternoon and struck out again.

Sunday was more of the same.

On Monday we went out with a couple guys we know to bracket a hillside. After splitting up and hiking in from both sides (1.5 miles from each starting point), we met up in the middle. Still more of nothing.

That afternoon we decided to drive an area that has been highly productive in the past. I got picked as the shooter so after I set up on the south side of the plot, the rest of the guys split up and drove in from both sides. Not one damned deer came out.

On top of everything else, the weather sucked. It got up to 45 degrees on two of the days and froze overnight, so still hunting through the woods was like walking on corn flakes. Every step was loud as hell.

We stopped by one of the check-in stations up there and only about a third as many deer had been checked in this year compared to last.

I'll hunt close to my house a bit over the next few days but overall it's been a disappointing season up north this year.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #186
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

We were about the same distance from Colebrook as you, with similar results. Shoulda gone to the Wilderness Lounge for a beer, ha ha. Our camp is near where the Nulhegan crosses Rt. 105 at Wenlock Crossing. Our membership goes back over a hundred years.

Of the three sets of tracks I saw on Friday, two sets had dog tracks in them, coyote most likely. Plum Creek owns timber near our camp, I ran into one of their foresters last week. "There just aren't very many deer in here."

Yeah, no kiddin'. Seeing more moose and bear sign than ever, and this is the first time I've ever seen dog up there. Talk is the dept of f&g missed the mark with the moose, and it's affecting the deer herd. Even 20 years ago, I'd go hunt at camp on the first two weekends and never get a shot at anything, then go up behind my folks' place and fill my tag in the first couple hours, then take the meat back to camp.

But hey, it's camp, right?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #187
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But hey, it's camp, right?
Ayuh. That's the whole point.

Even though my buddies and I bitch about the conditions/lack of deer, we still have a good time.

I checked the NH F&G website and while statewide numbers are about even from last year, Coos County is down by about a third.

Hillsborough County (where I live) is having a good year. Lots of deer checked in.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #188
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

insult to injury

from a couple hours ago

I beg your pardon?

ah

This, with a point 'n' shoot, at about 2pm in my back yard... I hopped the fence and walked within about 30 yards of them...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #189
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbeck View Post
Mate, that looks like a ton of fun Those boys must love doing that stuff.
In the picture with your two birds, I noticed how good your cam gear is. That gear works great!
I get as big a kick taking my nephews turkey hunting as when I go alone. They get so excited.

I'll soon be taking them out rifle hunting for deer in KS.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #190
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,794
Basket O birds!

Hooray!
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #191
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Had a rainy start to gun season here in Ohio. Pretty much pissed rain for the first 3 days. Got out at the crack of dawn this morning (day 5 of the season) and harvested this little 7-point whitetail.

vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #192
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,487
Truck is pointed out,
4 wheeler is gassed on on the trailer,
gun and gear, cleaned and packed
Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #193
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

I enjoy being it the country no matter what I'm doing, work or play. Now it the time to play. I am very fortunate that I have a place in Kansas were I go almost every weekend.

For years in the spring and summer I prepare for deer season. Food plots are planed, tree stands and box blinds repaired and moved. Mineral is put out for the deer as well. Because of that work my deer are getting bigger and better each year.

Most years I fill my buck tag during bow season however this year I didn't so I went after them with a gun this past weekend. If I was to fill a tag during rifle season it had to be this past weekend because I take nephews out the next week.

Watching wildlife is very much part of the hunt. These are all jakes and hens:

This 8 pointer crossed in front of my at about 75 yards. He is a nice 3 1/2 year old buck with a large inside spread. I passed on him during bow season so I'm not shooting him now. He will be a dandy buck next year if one of my nephews does not shoot him next week.

Comfort is the key to staying in a blind all or most of the day. When is it raining like it did so much of the weekend it needs to be dry. When it is cold and blustery staying warm is the key. All my box blinds will keep you dry and warm:

With a little heater and a book I can sit hours in a stand like that. But if I want to hunt all day I go to my most comfortable stand. Looking East:

Looking South:

Here is the view looking East. The opening in the trees is a food plot planted in clover:

Looking SE (it is a mayor deer crossing 200 yards away):

Looking South:

If the weather is nice I'll sit outside:

Sunday I hunted all day. I saw all kinds of nice deer. They were moving all day. At around 4:45 a large old deer came by about 125 yards. I could see the antlers had the mass I like so I took him.

He was estimated to be a 6 1/2 year old, 10 point frame with at least 6 score-able points.

And weighted 285 pounds:

He was scared with large patches of fur missing from fighting.

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 02:00 PM
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #194
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,750
Nice one, Eddie!

I like the view from the deck without the leaves on.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #195
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,957
Tanker!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: