Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
GSBS OP
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Hot weather experience with BMW's Rallye 3 jacket/pants...

I've loved my Rally 2 Pro gear and have used it for nearly 4 years and ~110K miles as my only riding gear in all kinds of weather and temperatures ranging from the teens to more than 100F.

But it's getting a bit faded and tattered in places after an SUV rear-ended me in January, sending me first flying though the air and then skidding along the tarmac. Since the wreck I've been wearing the gear, but it's fast approaching time to replace. I've more than gotten my money's worth from it already after all.

After doing multiple searches on this and other gear-related forums, I've yet to find any comments on how the new liner material used in the Ralley 3 does in really hot weather.

Reading BMW's product description, it seems this new "C.A.R.E." magic membrane fabric is supposed to "know" if it's hot or cold out and open or close the pores in the material accordingly. In hot weather - pores open for better air flow; in cold weather, pores close to block the chill of the wind.

This very thing has always been my main issue with the R2P gear and its GoreTex liners. I've always stayed bone dry with the liners in, but above about 75F it's almost unbearable to have them in the jacket and pants. And because you have to strip down on the roadside and zip the liners in, it's not practical to don the liners every time you encounter a rainstorm.

My solution has always been to just remove the liners around the end of March and leave them home, and then just carry a one-piece, coverall-type rain suit to put on when raining during hot weather.

I'd like to think this problem was the genesis of the new liner material, but have yet to hear any comments on how this works as the mercury rises above 90-95.

So, for those of you with the RP3:

What is the maximum temperature that you can stand to leave the liners in?

Also, does the new membrane material really allow airflow as advertised?

If the difference is significant and the new stuff really does work, I'll likely spring for the extra $ for the R3 gear. If not, it seems there's still some leftover R2P stock a few places for about 1/3 less money.

Thanks in advance for any comments you R3 users care to share!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
I've loved my Rally 2 Pro gear and have used it for nearly 4 years and ~110K miles as my only riding gear in all kinds of weather and temperatures ranging from the teens to more than 100F.

But it's getting a bit faded and tattered in places after an SUV rear-ended me in January, sending me first flying though the air and then skidding along the tarmac. Since the wreck I've been wearing the gear, but it's fast approaching time to replace. I've more than gotten my money's worth from it already after all.

After doing multiple searches on this and other gear-related forums, I've yet to find any comments on how the new liner material used in the Ralley 3 does in really hot weather.

Reading BMW's product description, it seems this new "C.A.R.E." magic membrane fabric is supposed to "know" if it's hot or cold out and open or close the pores in the material accordingly. In hot weather - pores open for better air flow; in cold weather, pores close to block the chill of the wind.

This very thing has always been my main issue with the R2P gear and its GoreTex liners. I've always stayed bone dry with the liners in, but above about 75F it's almost unbearable to have them in the jacket and pants. And because you have to strip down on the roadside and zip the liners in, it's not practical to don the liners every time you encounter a rainstorm.

My solution has always been to just remove the liners around the end of March and leave them home, and then just carry a one-piece, coverall-type rain suit to put on when raining during hot weather.

I'd like to think this problem was the genesis of the new liner material, but have yet to hear any comments on how this works as the mercury rises above 90-95.

So, for those of you with the RP3:

What is the maximum temperature that you can stand to leave the liners in?

Also, does the new membrane material really allow airflow as advertised?

If the difference is significant and the new stuff really does work, I'll likely spring for the extra $ for the R3 gear. If not, it seems there's still some leftover R2P stock a few places for about 1/3 less money.

Thanks in advance for any comments you R3 users care to share!
Skip the Rallye 3.

The new Trailguard will 1) accept your R2P's GoreTex™'s liner, 2) It's made of Schoeller Dynatec instead of the "treated" Cordura, 3) it's got the same NP armour as the R2P/R3, 3) it's really an update of the best jacket BMW made (in my opinion), the Savanna II.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
angrywhiteguy
i wanna ride!

Oddometer: 154
Ive got the R3 and love it. Rode from 5c to 25c the other day liners in and was comfy. With the vents open, you can really feel the air coming through the liner...it does work. Great suit if you like the colours...I'd buy it again in a heartbeat and the fit is fantastic! 3 thumbs up!

angrywhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
GSBS OP
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Skip the Rallye 3.

The new Trailguard will 1) accept your R2P's GoreTex™'s liner, 2) It's made of Schoeller Dynatec instead of the "treated" Cordura, 3) it's got the same NP armour as the R2P/R3, 3) it's really an update of the best jacket BMW made (in my opinion), the Savanna II.

I've looked at that as well and I do like the sand/brown color and the cut.

What is the advantage of the Schoeller Dynatec fabric over the Rallye 3's material?

Also, I really like the idea of leaving the liners in during summer (if the new liner material will let me stand it in the hot and humid Alabama summers)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
GSBS OP
FunHog

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrywhiteguy
Ive got the R3 and love it. Rode from 5c to 25c the other day liners in and was comfy. With the vents open, you can really feel the air coming through the liner...it does work. Great suit if you like the colours...I'd buy it again in a heartbeat and the fit is fantastic! 3 thumbs up!

It's good to hear you're liking the R3. However, if my memory from my old B&W darkroom days is correct, 25C = 77F. I need something that I can leave in at least to the mid-90s here in Alabama. Otherwise I'll be in the same situation as I am now - leaving the liners home in summer and using a one-piece rainsuit.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
I've looked at that as well and I do like the sand/brown color and the cut.

What is the advantage of the Schoeller Dynatec fabric over the Rallye 3's material?

Also, I really like the idea of leaving the liners in during summer (if the new liner material will let me stand it in the hot and humid Alabama summers)
The Dynatec is a tougher/heavier material than the 600 Cordura. It's also a slightly larger weave so you do get a little airflow through the materal.

The Trailguard has the same venting as the Rallye 3 with the exception of the man-boob vent-y things.

The Olympia X-Moto and the Rallye 3 are made out of the same material.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
GSBS OP
FunHog

Quote:
The Dynatec is a tougher/heavier material than the 600 Cordura. It's also a slightly larger weave so you do get a little airflow through the materal.

The Trailguard has the same venting as the Rallye 3 with the exception of the man-boob vent-y things.

The Olympia X-Moto and the Rallye 3 are made out of the same material.
So... the Trailguard has zippered vertical vents front and rear and full-length sleeve zipper vents, like my R2P? Is that right? Can't really tell in the photos I've seen.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
So... the Trailguard has zippered vertical vents front and rear and full-length sleeve zipper vents, like my R2P? Is that right? Can't really tell in the photos I've seen.
Yep.

Same as our Rallye 2 Pro. (Again, with the exception of the boob vent-y things.)

Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
GSBS OP
FunHog

Are you sure...

Quote:

The new Trailguard will 1) accept your R2P's GoreTex™'s liner...
...The zip-in Trailguard liners have the same size/length/shape zippers?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
...The zip-in Trailguard liners have the same size/length/shape zippers?
The GoreTex™ liner for the R2P, the Savanna II, the Santiago, and now the Trailguard are all the same.

But... I'll double check the fit in mine tonight.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
GSBS OP
FunHog

Quote:
The GoreTex™ liner for the R2P, the Savanna II, the Santiago, and now the Trailguard are all the same.

But... I'll double check the fit in mine tonight.
So, you've got both the RP2 and Trailguard?

Which is cooler/vents best?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
So, you've got both the RP2 and Trailguard?

Which is cooler/vents best?
Yup.

They both vent very well.

The Trailguard has a bazillion pockets, though.

I went with the Trailguard because it's got the same NP armour as the R2P and the R3, it "feels" heavier than the R2P, I like the belt, my GoreTex™ liner fits, I like the colours better, it's got more reflective stuff, it reminded me of my old Savanna II, and it's cheaper.

If you haven't looked at a Trailguard, you really ought to take a look at one before you pull the trigger on a Rallye 3. I'm not saying you won't still prefer your R2P or the R3, but I think you'd be wise to, at least, consider it.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
GSBS OP
FunHog

Quote:
Yup.

They both vent very well.

The Trailguard has a bazillion pockets, though.

I went with the Trailguard because it's got the same NP armour as the R2P and the R3, it "feels" heavier than the R2P, I like the belt, my GoreTex™ liner fits, I like the colours better, it's got more reflective stuff, it reminded me of my old Savanna II, and it's cheaper.

If you haven't looked at a Trailguard, you really ought to take a look at one before you pull the trigger on a Rallye 3. I'm not saying you won't still prefer your R2P or the R3, but I think you'd be wise to, at least, consider it.
Yeah, I really like the off-white and orange color combo (now that I have the SE especially ) and it's good to hear that the venting works well. My problem is that our so-called BMW shop here didn't even have a single BMW jacket or pants when I stopped in there last week to shop for new gear. They told me anything like that is special order only. WTF?

So, to check it out in person I guess the next closest place would be Atlanta, Chattanooga or Nashville, but I have no idea what they'd have either.

With the Beemer gear I've found it's always best to try it on before buying as the sizes seem to be all over the place. Since starting this thread today I looked at one website that said the Trailguard runs two sizes larger. Any thoughts on that?

My R2P stuff - made in 2006 - is a 42R (US) jacket and 44R (US) pants and they seem to fit me pretty good (jacket is a bit snug with long underwear and electric vest, but it's loose in summer with liners out. I'm 6'1" and 200 pounds.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Yeah, I really like the off-white and orange color combo (now that I have the SE especially ) and it's good to hear that the venting works well. My problem is that our so-called BMW shop here didn't even have a single BMW jacket or pants when I stopped in there last week to shop for new gear. They told me anything like that is special order only. WTF?

So, to check it out in person I guess the next closest place would be Atlanta, Chattanooga or Nashville, but I have no idea what they'd have either.

With the Beemer gear I've found it's always best to try it on before buying as the sizes seem to be all over the place. Since starting this thread today I looked at one website that said the Trailguard runs two sizes larger. Any thoughts on that?

My R2P stuff - made in 2006 - is a 42R (US) jacket and 44R (US) pants and they seem to fit me pretty good (jacket is a bit snug with long underwear and electric vest, but it's loose in summer with liners out. I'm 6'1" and 200 pounds.
Nashvegas has traditionally had a good selection as has Atlanta. Chattanooga's pretty new, so I can't imagine them having much of an inventory of that kind of thing.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Xeraux
Archvillain

The GoreTex™ liner for my R2P (or Savanna II or Santiago, etc.) fits in my Trailguard, just fine.