User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Jeremy L OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Giant Loop and AltRider's 1st Annual Dual Sport Ride

Last week, the AltRider team packed up and headed to Redmond, Oregon for the BMW MOA International Rally. We were looking forward to meeting people and showing them our products, but what we were really excited about was the ride we’d organized with Giant Loop.

Giant Loop headquarters are there, so Dave Wachs (co-owner of Giant Loop and local long time rider to the area) volunteered to plan our route, while we took care of invitations, food, etc.

It was our first annual dual sport ride, and we were joined by a great group . We met at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday to drink some coffee, eat some breakfast, and get briefed by Dave. People were riding mostly BMWs (hey, it was a BMW rally), but we also had a few KTMs, a V-Strom 1000, and a DRZ. I was riding the AltRider BMW R 1200 GS with Brianna on the back, filming the ride.

Dave gave some last minute instructions to Austin, our video guy who was staying ahead of us to capture footage of the ride.

We set off from the Deschutes County Fair and Expo Center, with Dave leading the way.

Video of everyone setting off, filmed by Giant Loop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kxavj298tA

Started out on some pavement, but the beautiful scenery made up for it. We made our way onto a few dirt and gravel roads, which gave us a taste of what was coming.

We passed through some farm country and a ranch or two on our way to the dirt.

By the time we got to this bridge, we were starting to get hungry, and Paul realized he was low on gas. Luckily, we were almost to our lunch stop at the Chinook Village Store.

Here, we had just enough time to dismount and stretch before lunch arrived from Tate & Tate Catering.

Great sandwiches on freshly baked bread, homemade cookies, chips, and lots of fruit pepped us up so we were ready for dirt. Before leaving, Dave gave us a few pointers for what was coming next.

We spread out a little for the rocky sections, since eastern Oregon gets hot and really dusty with so many riders on the trail. This helped somewhat with visibility, although it was still tough to see other bikes. Later, some guys confessed they had thoughts of dropping the bike in the sand during this section, and then having the next guy run them over without any visibility. We had to share at least one beer with them before they’d admit such things.

We stopped at the rim of the Deschutes Canyon to take a few pictures. There were quite a few people with cameras – both video and still – so they could capture this cool ride to share with their friends and family later.

Such a great view and great day for riding.

We headed out again, but after several miles of off road riding, then regrouping, I realized I’d forgotten my camelback at the stop. I rode back to get it, and tried to catch up. I may have turned the wrong way… but there are no pictures, so it’s hard to say for sure. I ended up back with everyone, who stopped and waited for me when they realized I wasn’t with them. I was, after all, supposed to be helping lead the group.

From there, it was on to the water crossing.

On the way to Wychus Creek, we went over some gnarly bits that curved all over the place. One guy did drop his bike on a curve with loose dirt – his pristine F 800 GS was no longer. He was pinned under the bike when we rolled up. We quickly pulled the bike off him and he got up, and for the most part he was unscathed… but still had a helmet full of dirt, a several inch gash on his nose, and a busted bike. Still, he had the best attitude. As soon as he pulled off his helmet, he said, “Well, I was overdue for a crash, it’s been quite some time.” At that point we laughed and knew it would be cool. He also, luckily, just got the bike insured 2 days before coming out.

We arrived at the creek and noticed something interesting. Wychus Creek was originally forecast to be 18 inches deep (I think many a rider remembered the ride briefing where Dave made it seem like a nearly dried up creek that a newbie could cruise through), but when we got there it was quite a bit deeper. No turning back, though, right?

I think a few people wished they had taken Dave up on the option to go another route, but no one wanted to be the person who cried “uncle.” This was the first water crossing that many in our group had ever done.

Yeah, that's a V-Strom 1000 doing a water crossing.

Photo courtesy of Edward Wilkinson.

Austin edited together some of the video footage he captured of the river crossings into a short video all of us enjoyed with some beverages that evening. The video really demonstrates how well everyone did… even those who had a setback or two.

Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6liPz6n4_g

Pretty exciting stuff for all of us. Fernando’s bike stalled mid-river, and although he got it going again, it was pretty funny when his buddy Guy insisted on filming instead of helping him start up that motorcycle again. When everyone had gotten across, we realized from some intimidating noises emanating from it that Peter’s bike sipped a little too much water. We waited in the shade – and in the water – for it to dry out.

Then it was back on the road.

Photo courtesy of Edward Wilkinson.

More of the beautiful eastern Oregon scenery awaited us as we rode back to the expo center, where most of us were camping. The next night, we all got back together at the AltRider booth to watch the highlights video.

It was a great ride with great people we might never have had the chance to hang out with otherwise. We can’t wait till next year’s ride!

Thank you to everyone who came a day early to the rally to join us on this ride. You had no idea where we were going to take you or if your bike would make it back in one piece – that’s a lot of trust on your part. We truly enjoyed hanging out and getting to know you all, and look forward to riding with you again!

AltRider.com
Jeremy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,721
Hey AltRider crew and everyone that signed up for the ride including my local friends Brad21 and the Professor. Those 2 fellows really helped me relax and stay focused on the route.

It can be a very stressful job leading a group that I don't know into the desert and eventually across the stream but everyone was so chill and had such good, adventurous spirits that after a few miles and a couple stops - it was obvious we had a perfect posse.

I did not take any pictures dang it but I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Thanks to AltRider, my local riding buddies and BMWMOA for the best rally experience to date.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Had a great time guys, thanks!

Video embed from links above:

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,058
Hey!

I just wanted to thank the ALTRider crew for taking us out on a ride, and making the HUGE effort to take pictures and video.

I also want to tell you ALL what a great time I had hanging out with them.

Thanks again guys!

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Great ride! Thanks for the pics and videos, looks like a fun event
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Wilko521
Off the back

Oddometer: 4
Fantastic Day - Thanks AltRider!

What a fantastic day, thanks to the AltRider crew. Good mix of local color paved sections, perfect GS dirt, and the refreshing water crossing. Top it off with a nice lunch that appeared on the ride in the shade and a chance to hang out with the AltRider posse made things fabulous!
Wilko521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Wednesday Ride

I wasn't planning on going to this year's Rally, until I got an email form Alt-rider inviting me on this ride. Boy am I glad I chose to go!!

Thanks, Jeremy, Dave, Briana, Christina, and everyone else for an excellent adventure! We must have encountered every possible riding surface, and some truly spectacular scenery. And, as long as we kept moving, the temps were actually pretty good.

I had fun shopping for new bike bits the next day. ;-) There were some good deals. Looking forward to installing the Alt-Rider bash plate and crash bars next week. My nose has already healed up fine. I just tell people "I had some work done."

The movie was done really well!! Kudos to whoever put it all together on short notice.

See you at the store soon.

Thanks again!
Paul
Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
I wasn't planning on going to this year's Rally, until I got an email form Alt-rider inviting me on this ride. Boy am I glad I chose to go!!

Thanks, Jeremy, Dave, Briana, Christina, and everyone else for an excellent adventure! We must have encountered every possible riding surface, and some truly spectacular scenery. And, as long as we kept moving, the temps were actually pretty good.

I had fun shopping for new bike bits the next day. ;-) There were some good deals. Looking forward to installing the Alt-Rider bash plate and crash bars next week. My nose has already healed up fine. I just tell people "I had some work done."

The movie was done really well!! Kudos to whoever put it all together on short notice.

See you at the store soon.

Thanks again!
Paul
Hey Paul.

How you feeling?
Any new aches?

It was great to met ya.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,411
Great stuff Dave! Sorry I missed it, my loss.

But I can't complain of my non-moto assignment. And just happened to have the right t-shirt with me.

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Looked like a great ride! You couldn't ask for a better guide in central Oregon!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Jeremy L OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
If you missed seeing the full video at the rally -- or just haven't seen the final edit on YouTube yet -- here it is. Good times with great people, and we can't wait to do it again next year!

AltRider.com
Jeremy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,904
Great video!

Well edited, and shows everyone having a great time. I'm envious! Well, except maybe for the water crossing.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote