ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #166
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap
 
ddavidv's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Oddometer: 1,069
We got the 5 speed (neither of us can stand most automatics, and the CVT is worse). The stick used to only come with the 2.4, or maybe it's the 4x4...either way, the 2.0 isn't really common in the older ones from what shopping I did. And yes, ours is 4x4. It's mostly been slogging back and forth to work; still haven't had it on a good, long trip.
__________________
'04 Wee Strom
'89 KLR 650 (sold)

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #167
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 707
A small update here. For the past 6-months, there has been a "whine" that varies with throttle/speed. It's getting louder, and in doing some research, all Patriot owners with the CVT who have heard this whine have had their transmission kick the bucket. It also "bucked" quite alarmingly while climbing the local mountain twisties. I've got 85k on my 2007 and purchased it 6-months before Jeep started their lifetime drivetrain warranty. I will most likely limit miles on it, and trade it in come January before it implodes.

While the Jeep has been mostly problem free up to this point, I'm going back to Ford.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #168
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Cowichan
Oddometer: 2,936
Original poster here. Well I'm sorry to hear about your CVT problems - good plan to trade it off in the new year.

I no longer have the RAV4 in my stable - the spouse and I parted ways and she got to keep it..... From my guess, it would seem to have been trouble free since it was purchased in 2010. My only complaint about it was the gas pedal - in the time that I drove it, I almost had 3 instances where my foot contacted the gas pedal as well as the brake pedal - the resultant near runaway each time was very concerning. I figured out that the RAV4 gas pedal is situated at the same height as the brake pedal and it is very easy to contact both if you aren't careful with your foot placement - and my feet are only a size 10. My Caravan has the gas pedal set back below the brake pedal so it is impossible to actuate both controls at the same time. All in all, the RAV4 cockpit is small - especially the foot wells. So Chrysler has the edge on safety in the foot control area.

I'll be looking for a replacement vehicle for myself down the road and I wonder what they'll be offering when the time comes. CVT's in everything? Or something worse.....
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #169
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?
 
PhiSig1071's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post

I'll be looking for a replacement vehicle for myself down the road and I wonder what they'll be offering when the time comes. CVT's in everything? Or something worse.....
Diesel CX5 or Escape.
__________________
Which one of you FF's was it?...FOUNDER!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #170
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Cowichan
Oddometer: 2,936
It will never be a Ford. CX5 - Mazda? I might even consider a CRV or some other Toyota product.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #171
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?
 
PhiSig1071's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
It will never be a Ford. CX5 - Mazda? I might even consider a CRV or some other Toyota product.
We looked at the CX5 and came very close to buying one. Ultimately a bad experience with the dealer and the low tow rating meant we went with the Toyota. If they had the diesel available we would have certainly gotten it.
__________________
Which one of you FF's was it?...FOUNDER!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #172
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Cowichan
Oddometer: 2,936
Which Toyota?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #173
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?
 
PhiSig1071's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Which Toyota?
'12 Rav4 V6. 3500lbs tow rating, 26mpg highway.
__________________
Which one of you FF's was it?...FOUNDER!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #174
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
A small update here. For the past 6-months, there has been a "whine" that varies with throttle/speed. It's getting louder, and in doing some research, all Patriot owners with the CVT who have heard this whine have had their transmission kick the bucket. It also "bucked" quite alarmingly while climbing the local mountain twisties. I've got 85k on my 2007 and purchased it 6-months before Jeep started their lifetime drivetrain warranty. I will most likely limit miles on it, and trade it in come January before it implodes.

While the Jeep has been mostly problem free up to this point, I'm going back to Ford.
Another update. The whine was getting worse and a new sound was added that made the Patriot sound like a diesel at idle. It was so loud that people would turn and look when I pulled into parking spots. I took it to the local dealership for an oil change and had them isolate the clatter. Turns out it was the alternator beginning to self-destruct.

In doing some research, I found this fairly common. Dealership quoted me $680 to replace the alternator. Eff that. Found out how to do it myself, and bought a high-output alternator from the local parts store for $240. Four hours later and after lots of curses thrown at whomever designed this thing (accompanied by banged up knuckles) I got the alternator changed out.

Had to remove passenger front tire, inner fender splash shield, huge plastic mud guard underneath, drop and relocate the AC compressor, and remove one serpentine pulley. Then the alternator could drop down and out under the front bumper. I really miss working on old cars!



Started the Pat up and ..... it was quiet. No loud whining or clatter! So while I'm still suspicious about the remaining life in the CVT, it was not the cause of the whine.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #175
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Another update. The whine was getting worse and a new sound was added that made the Patriot sound like a diesel at idle. It was so loud that people would turn and look when I pulled into parking spots. I took it to the local dealership for an oil change and had them isolate the clatter. Turns out it was the alternator beginning to self-destruct.

In doing some research, I found this fairly common. Dealership quoted me $680 to replace the alternator. Eff that. Found out how to do it myself, and bought a high-output alternator from the local parts store for $240. Four hours later and after lots of curses thrown at whomever designed this thing (accompanied by banged up knuckles) I got the alternator changed out.

Had to remove passenger front tire, inner fender splash shield, huge plastic mud guard underneath, drop and relocate the AC compressor, and remove one serpentine pulley. Then the alternator could drop down and out under the front bumper. I really miss working on old cars!



Started the Pat up and ..... it was quiet. No loud whining or clatter! So while I'm still suspicious about the remaining life in the CVT, it was not the cause of the whine.
I'm sure the dealer's alternator cost more than the one you bought, but considering the amount of time it took you to change it the total quote including labor doesn't seem to have been too far off.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #176
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler
 
azcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 707
Actually, the dealer's alternator was also in the $240 range so I just saved a ton of labor and learned a bit about my Jeep. It wasn't a technically tough job... just lots of removing/unbolting other "stuff" just to get to the alternator.
__________________
1981 BMW r65 - Photos
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #177
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
Actually, the dealer's alternator was also in the $240 range so I just saved a ton of labor and learned a bit about my Jeep. It wasn't a technically tough job... just lots of removing/unbolting other "stuff" just to get to the alternator.
Being in Tucson I'm going to guess the dealer is about $100 - $110 per flat rate hour. Sounds about right.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014