User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,421
I've got 26K miles on my 08 Calibur, and it is a fine car. Not one issue, 27mpg on average, and OK power. My ex GF has the Patriot, same drivetrain as the Calibur, and over 30K miles on it with zero issues.

The CVT is a little odd, but once used to it you find it very easy to drive, and quite accurate in it's gearing. Power is not great, but not bad. It can tow my trailer with a 650 bike on it no problem.

For $16K it has been a great car, and I have an unlimited mileage lifetime powertrain warranty on it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #17
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I was reading that the CVT is made by Jatco - which is a part of Nissan - and they are actually supplying many auto makers all around the world. They manufacture these units for Chrysler in Mexico.

It's a popular unit for our local Transitos (transit cops). I've been pulled over by one.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,460
Quote:
Gosh, anyone got anything bad to say about these things - (except that the Compass has "girly" styling) - anyone even had leaks in the roof? I've been on Jeep forums and saw the usual cheer leading crowd - I was thinking that I would be getting the more realistic slant on things by asking you guys. You usually go for the dark underbelly on most North American made vehicles.
Yes. The Patriot I rented with the idiotic CVT transmission may be the worst vehicle to drive I have ever experienced. Ever. That includes my 73 Vega. I couldn't even judge how the rest of the vehicle was because the engine/transmission combination was so horrible. My wife flat out refused to drive it.

In the half hour it took to drive from Jax airport to the beach my wife and I were ready to set fire to the little piece of crap. It was that annoying. Every time you leave from a stop the engine furiously revs out sounding like you have the gas pedal on the mat then the equally noisy transmission goes to work.

The whole experience was beyond nerve wracking in traffic. But at least it made me appreciate our battered old 97 Cherokee Sport. We flew down to Jax again last month and my wife's only concern was that we not rent another Patriot. The little Ford Fusion we got was like driving a Lexus compared to that Patriot.

Trail rated? Define trail.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 07-21-2010 at 06:20 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
My mom has a Patriot. Decent little vehicle. Avoid the sunroof. Drives well. Excellent in the snow and ice. This is the AWD/ 4WD version by the way. Interior was design by an idiot. Tough to get comfortable in it. Hard plastic wherever you want to put your elbow or knee. Over bolstered seats for what the vehicle is. Not a lot of lower back support. If you're broad shouldered you're going to be screaming for relief after an hour. Rear seats are nice and roomy but no thought was put in for where to put your arms.

Nice vehicle for around town and short trips. Hell on wheels if its going to take more then an hour and a half to get to where you want to go. Not a nice vehicle if you are a large framed person.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 494
I have a 2wd 09 Patriot with 12k on it now. So far the only problem we have had is a leaking sunroof, appears to have been corrected but will continue to monitor. We drove both the Patriot and Compass, the compass seemed to have more of a blind spot for the wife she is 4'10".

THE 2.4 with CVT is not a speed demon and does take some getting used to. It does have more engine breaking than any other automatic I have owned, it starts to noticeable slow as soon as you lift the foot off the accelerator.

Ken
Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
I purchased my Jeep Patriot Sport (front wheel drive only) in 2007 when they first came out. I didn't get too many of the fancy frilly things... no GPS or upgraded stereo, no moon-roof, etc. Basic stereo has an mp3 player jack which I use 90% of the time. I did get the towing package and have the 2.4 liter 4-banger with CVT tranny.

I now have about 65,000 miles on it, and overall love it. I've taken it into some pretty sketchy areas... places a 2wd should not be going, and never had a problem. I HAVE heard that those with the moon-roofs have had bad leaking issue, so I'd stay away from those. The YES stain/stink resistant fabric seats are FANTASTIC. Decent amount of room. The back seats are a bit stiff feeling but are comfortable. Back seats AND the passenger seat fold down flat. For a mtn bike race in bad weather (see above photo) I tossed my full-size inflatable mattress in the back and slept in it comfortably, though I'm only 5'9".

THe CVT tranny does take some time to get used to it. By the nature of the CVT, it revvs higher initially with a gradual increase in speed. Those who complain are used to conventional auto-trans. However, I can easily chirp the tires from a stop even with the CVT. If you need to stomp on it for passing, it does have a "passing gear". Overall you just need to get used to driving it with the slight hesitation as momentum catches up with the rpms.

I routinely get 26-27mpg in town and 30 highway. However, heavy footing it and/or having anything on the roof (like my bikes) sees the highway mileage drop to 24mpg or so. Those that get the 4x4 and trail-rated options get much lower mileage.

My ONLY problem I've had, which began at about 24,000 miles was an intermittent but determined "check engine light" that the dealership had a hard time finding. My local dealership was fantastic and even though it took them up until about the 55,000 mile mark to find the issue, they did ALL of the work as if it were under warranty (which it wasn't... I purchased it 6 months before Jeep implemented the lifetime warranty, etc). They:
- Cleaned Throttle Body (a couple times)
- Replaced Camshaft and Crank position sensors
- Replaced CPU (main computer controls)
- Numerous software updates
- Finally, the Intake and Exhaust Solenoids (the fix!)

But we've put another 10K on the Pat since and the light hasn't come on once.

Fit and finish of the interior is my least favorite... seems too hard and cheap/plastic-y. The only other annoyance is that said cheap interior has developed a number of rattles, almost from day one. But I figure... it's a Jeep... who cares.

Stock rims on the sport are ugly as sin, and the tires ride a little rough... but I've never been uncomfortable on long trips. Still have the stock tires on it now and they're just now getting to the wear marks. Only the 2007 model had 4-wheel disc brakes. In 2008 they went back to drums in the rear.

We need to do the 60k mile checkup, and from what I've heard it is an expensive one because that is when they change the CVT tranny fluid and flush the tranny, etc. It can't be drained/refilled like a normal transmission. Think it's in the $800 range for the whole service.

azcycle screwed with this post 07-21-2010 at 12:13 PM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #22
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,042
Quote:
Give me your thoughts.
I had a Calibur for a week as a rent car. Perhaps the loudest car I've ever driven on the highway. And anemic as far as get up and go, but was comfortable enough and would probably be fine as an around town car - expecially at the prices quoted in this thread.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
Most of the roof leak issues seem to be traced to plugged drain holes in the sunroof - I don't have a desire for one of these options anyway. It's the bigger concerns of driveability - engine power and transmission performance that really concern me. I'm always a firm believer in the more basic the vehicle, the fewer mechanical problems down the road. I have read about some of the CVT traits on other threads, but I just don't much about it myself. I'm actually surprised that my wife actually is desiring such a vehicle type (SUV) because she always hated these things in the past. I guess we all change.......

I remember driving my brother's '73 Vega - which eventually blew the whole side of the engine block apart. What a piece of crap. I still remember how that engine sounded.... So that comparison really scared me reading all these replies.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,890
Quote:
Gosh, anyone got anything bad to say about these things - (except that the Compass has "girly" styling) - anyone even had leaks in the roof? I've been on Jeep forums and saw the usual cheer leading crowd - I was thinking that I would be getting the more realistic slant on things by asking you guys. You usually go for the dark underbelly on most North American made vehicles.
Yes. They are absolutely horrible to drive. I hope you guys saying CVTs will take over are wrong -- god that thing was annoying as hell. If you don't mind owning a car that can't go 'round corners worth two shits, sounds like it's dying every time you try to accelerate, has horribly calibrated steering brakes and transmission characteristics, you will be fine...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 32,280
My fiance has an '08 Compass. No problems so far, but she only has 10k miles on it. I've driven it a few times and it really does nothing wrong.

It's just so damned ugly. But then again, I drive a Honda Element so I may not be a good judge of that kinda thing.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #26
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time to go out there and try one out on our own, me thinks. With my luck she'll fall for a Patriot and I will give it the thumbs down. Or she'll hate it and I'll see it as the way to go. Wish me luck folks. I'm happy to say that neither of us go for a vehicle full of all the bells and whistles - simple is the way to go in this household.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #27
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,421
Quote:
Time to go out there and try one out on our own, me thinks. With my luck she'll fall for a Patriot and I will give it the thumbs down. Or she'll hate it and I'll see it as the way to go. Wish me luck folks. I'm happy to say that neither of us go for a vehicle full of all the bells and whistles - simple is the way to go in this household.
If you are not looking for a cheap car to handle like a sports sedan, accelerate like a WRX, and ride like a Caddy, you will not be disappointed. For the price, there are few cars on the market that fit this nitch.

As for the people who say it is the worst car on earth, I suspect they have standards most would find a "bit high" for the price range.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #28
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
My fiance has an '08 Compass. No problems so far, but she only has 10k miles on it. I've driven it a few times and it really does nothing wrong.

It's just so damned ugly. But then again, I drive a Honda Element so I may not be a good judge of that kinda thing.
wait, wait, wait.

you have a fiance?

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #29
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=JimVonBaden]If you are not looking for a cheap car to handle like a sports sedan, accelerate like a WRX, and ride like a Caddy, you will not be disappointed. For the price, there are few cars on the market that fit this nitch.

As for the people who say it is the worst car on earth, I suspect they have standards most would find a "bit high" for the price range.

The only real challenge this car will ever face is the weekly run up the road to the local ski hill in the winter - and this is paved 4 lane road. Beyond that, it will just be an around town errand machine. That and be the first vehicle for my 17 year old to cut his teeth on - so I don't want a race car.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
If you lived closer, I'd let you test-drive mine. Honestly, I haven't been drinking the Jeep/Chrysler kool-aid, and this is my first Chrysler product... I've been a Ford guy for years.

This is not a perfect vehicle but I think (as long as you don't get a lemon) it's a great deal for the money. I absolutely hate the fit and finish and cheap plastic interior. But I'll deal. The problem with the check engine light had me trying to sell in on Craigslist, honestly. But it didn't sell and we kept it and figured out the issue.

It's a small SUV targeted for those who are more budget conscious, and I think it surpasses those needs quite well. Maybe I've become used to the engine/transmission but I certainly don't think it's terrible or any more noisy than other budget SUVs.

Just my .02 cents. Go test drive one and make a decision.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: