User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #31
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
I agree a test drive is needed. It appears some people are OK with that CVT. But my wife hated it, I hated it and everybody that rode with us commented on how noisy it was. I have been driving Jeeps long enough that I don't care about the cheap interiors as long as they work well. But that CVT transmission would be an absolute deal breaker for me. Reading these posts makes it appear that CVT is either a hate it or don't care kinda thing.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #32
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
The young son will also be cutting his teeth on this thing for his first few driving years - the 4 banger will keep his driving under the speed limit.
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #33
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
I agree a test drive is needed. It appears some people are OK with that CVT. But my wife hated it, I hated it and everybody that rode with us commented on how noisy it was. I have been driving Jeeps long enough that I don't care about the cheap interiors as long as they work well. But that CVT transmission would be an absolute deal breaker for me. Reading these posts makes it appear that CVT is either a hate it or don't care kinda thing.
Not exactly. I found the CVT odd at first, but like most things, you get used to it. Now I find the hunt and shift of most auto trans cars annoying. No clunky shifting on a CVT. As for power issues, none on mine, or my CVT based Nissan Rogue. My CVT is silent, the motor makes a bit of roar at high RPM, but not a lot more than other cars I have owned or ridden in.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
The problem with the Patriot I drove is exactly that high rpm motor roar. It did it pretty much everytime we left from a stop. And it isn't exactly a quiet vehicle. If the motor had been quiet I probably would have gotten used to it.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #35
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog
The problem with the Patriot I drove is exactly that high rpm motor roar. It did it pretty much everytime we left from a stop. And it isn't exactly a quiet vehicle. If the motor had been quiet I probably would have gotten used to it.
That's a CVT for you.

When you step on the gas, the trans is essentially going to take the path of least resistance and change the pulley ratio to be as high as possible. So IE the engine roars up to the powerband and then sits there waiting for the car to catch up. Retarded.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #36
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
I strolled out the front door last evening to ask a friendly neighbour lady what she thought of her CVT equipped '09 Sentra - not the most mechanically qualified person to approach on this but if she found it annoying, she would be sure to voice that opinion. Well, she was one happy customer - never had a better vehicle. What's a CVT?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #37
aceluck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
My father has a Nissan Altima with the 3.5 V6 and the CVT.

I enjoy mashing the throttle, having the revs instantly climb to red line and stay there as the speed keeps climbing, until you let off. The fact that Nissan's 3.5 is one heck of a smooth engine might help.

Engines that aren't smooth at high revs might not be suited to CVTs, and some CVTs might not be well calibrated.

In a highway-cruising or appliace-type car, CVTs have their place. In anything with sporting pretensions, or where simplicity should be key, manual trans should rule.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
I guess that's the key. If you're the type of driver to mash the pedal to the floor on any car from every stop, then you probably won't like the engine noise/performance of the Patriot with the CVT. Face it, this is a brick-shaped small SUV with a slightly anemic 4-banger engine. But if you just gently accelerate like a sane person then the acceleration keeps up with the rpms, and you won't notice any abnormal engine noise. I have perfected the "half-mash" pedal. I've noticed that punching it to the floor is a bit too much for the engine/tranny combo but if i mash the pedal about halfway, I will chirp the tires from a dead stop... it launches pretty good for what it is.

That being said, when I'm trying to merge into highway traffic from a short on ramp, I do definitely hear the engine rev loudly. But I get more interior noise from the hard stock tires than I do from the engine. When I first got it, my brain kept waiting for the shifts and by the time the acceleration caught up with the revs, I was doing about 85mph and didn't notice it.

Not trying to sell you on the Patriot at all... I have nothing to gain by you buying or not buying. Just trying to tell you my personal experience.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #39
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,813
Lots of folks here talking about the engine reving/noise. I didn't notice that all that much. What I noticed was simple road noise . . . and lots of it. It was like being outside the car only without any wind in your face. No one else has noticed this?
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #40
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceluck
and some CVTs might not be well calibrated.
What I've heard about the Dodge implementation of the Renault/Nissan CVTs is they got a perfectly setup CVT and they decided they could do better than the Japanese and messed it up so it was no longer as smooth with good "shift points".

Apparently the CVTs will learn to adapt to driving style after a while but the programming can be lost and need to start over again.

Anyone else hear anything about that?
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've heard about the "adaptive" cvt capability - that should make it fun to have one in this household, there's going to be three drivers sharing this thing.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #42
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Spent an hour on a Jeep lot today looking at un-sold new 09' Patriots and Compasses that are suddenly coming out of the wood work. The one I wanted to try (in my limited time) had a dead battery. Sales guy claims that the CVT is bullet proof - but then that is what he is supposed to say. I have to say the fit and finish of these vehicles was good for the money they were asking. I've got another reason for going the Patriot/Compass route, in that my employer can get me a better deal, than I can walking in off the street - a no haggle price supposedly. My only holdback is I don't want all the bells and whistles that come with a trim level that you must order to just get A/C and a CVT - I want bare bones.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #43
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
my employer can get me a better deal, than I can walking in off the street - a no haggle price supposedly.
www.carcostcanada.com They also offer a buyer service, if you can get a lower price than they do you don't have to pay them.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #44
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Quote:
I've heard about the "adaptive" cvt capability - that should make it fun to have one in this household, there's going to be three drivers sharing this thing.
If the mfg was smart maybe each key is unique and it'll know who's driving

I want a car with a finger print scanner like my laptop, skip the key, fob and all that nonesense

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #45
Star-Bellied Sneetch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Jim

Dood, am I hallucinating? What is attached to the back of that thing?!?

Say it ain't so!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: