Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #46
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Bellied Sneetch

Dood, am I hallucinating? What is attached to the back of that thing?!?

Say it ain't so!

Relax Mike, just for testing purposes!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #47
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
www.carcostcanada.com They also offer a buyer service, if you can get a lower price than they do you don't have to pay them.
You mentioned these guys to me awhile ago during our chat - I'll give it a further looksie when I get the chance. Thanks for that.

Jim - that blue colour doesn't look half bad on that Caliber. Some of the modern colours I'm seeing on these vehicles makes me wonder what market they are aiming their vehicles at.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #48
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Glad to see this thread- I just learned about this vehicle (Patriot) last night- and frankly, I'm eager to drive one.

I've been into CVT's since I owned a Scarabeo 500- and the idea of a vehicle that has the look my wife wants with mileage I can stomach is fan-freakin-tastic.

Hard plastic interior? Oughtta clean easy- not a bad thing with teenage boys and a coupla dogs!

Those who bought FWD only- would you buy the AWD if you had a do-over?

Incidentally- Edmunds rates this vehicle with like a 6- but the owners rate it a 9. Edmunds beef is the same as many: "It's not a serious off-road contender."

Well, no shit! Light duty commuting in Ohio weather 25k miles per year is what we're looking for.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #49
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

For me the hold up in buying one is the CVT transmission - which to me is an unknown. I went out and tried a 2010 Ford Escape yesterday ( a similar vehicle to the Patriot with conventional running gear) and found the 2.5 inline 4 a bit buzzy - so I am guessing a 2.4 in the Patriot matched to a CVT would be even worse. Still I am keeping an open mind on these vehicles. The Escape interior was seemingly cheaper than the Patriot - harder plastic and cluttered center controls. I hopped back in my Caravan for the drive home with a greater appreciation for how well Dodge put that thing together believe it or not. The last Ford we had in our family was a '59. I'm sitting back waiting to see what comes out in the 2011 production year.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #50
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
Glad to see this thread- I just learned about this vehicle (Patriot) last night- and frankly, I'm eager to drive one.

I've been into CVT's since I owned a Scarabeo 500- and the idea of a vehicle that has the look my wife wants with mileage I can stomach is fan-freakin-tastic.

Hard plastic interior? Oughtta clean easy- not a bad thing with teenage boys and a coupla dogs!

Those who bought FWD only- would you buy the AWD if you had a do-over?

Incidentally- Edmunds rates this vehicle with like a 6- but the owners rate it a 9. Edmunds beef is the same as many: "It's not a serious off-road contender."

Well, no shit! Light duty commuting in Ohio weather 25k miles per year is what we're looking for.
I have both. I have the Calibur, and I have a CVT Nissan Rogue AWD. They both work well, though I must admit the Rogue rides better with more power. That said, the Calibur was $10K less, so not bad for the price.

Jim
Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #51
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jim - I'm guessing that you have the 2.4 litre in your Caliber? Or the 2.0L?

The sales guy at the Ford dealer was talking about how they dropped the CVT out of their line-up after the problems they had with the Fusion and the Freestyle several years ago. He claimed that the steel belts in the transmission were actually stretching and this is a common problem. Another mechanic at my work was also looking at a Murano but discovered online on one of their forums about how poorly their CVTs were holding up. Supposedly Nissan was doubling the driveline warranty to 200K to smooth things over.

I can honestly say that I am scratching my head over what to buy for my spouse - because it has to have an automatic and a little bit of pep to climb the local ski hill.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #52
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Jim - I'm guessing that you have the 2.4 litre in your Caliber? Or the 2.0L?

The sales guy at the Ford dealer was talking about how they dropped the CVT out of their line-up after the problems they had with the Fusion and the Freestyle several years ago. He claimed that the steel belts in the transmission were actually stretching and this is a common problem. Another mechanic at my work was also looking at a Murano but discovered online on one of their forums about how poorly their CVTs were holding up. Supposedly Nissan was doubling the driveline warranty to 200K to smooth things over.

I can honestly say that I am scratching my head over what to buy for my spouse - because it has to have an automatic and a little bit of pep to climb the local ski hill.
I have the 2.0 in my Caliber, with a lifetime warranty. If you go to the Caliber forums you will not see any issues with the CVT, or motor. They seem to hold up just fine. Same with the Nissan CVT.

I guess they fixed the issues from the past.

Jim
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #53
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Unfortunately those lifetime warranties are now long gone on recent models and we never had that at all up here in Canada when they were offered down south.

I'm really kind of gun shy these day with new vehicles - maybe it comes from all the technology advances I have to deal with fixing airplanes. Hell, I even tried to go low tech on my motorcycle choice - went for a R100GS a couple of years ago. I spent the early evening today replacing the engine on it because the old one had a factory induced crack in the block . Let's just say I would never consider buying another German vehicle ever again, with the crap workmanship I've had to deal with. Oh the pain.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #54
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,072
I had an '07 Caliber 5-speed which I rather liked, except for the slight delay in the fly-by-wire throttle, and the outward visibility: you had to back it like a van with the side view mirrors, and it was not apparent where the front end actually ended.

And that recycled-Lego interior-- atrocious. No wonder Chrysler was on the ropes.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #55
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's another reason I would lean toward the Patriot instead of the Caliber or Compass - defined corners of the vehicle. My spouse has been known to try to adjust the position of the carport wall somewhat and she sees that nice boxy Jeep design as a plus. When you're gearing up to hit something, it's always nice to know where the edge of your weapon is.....
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #56
XPADREX
Funslinger

Just drove a 2wd patriot... ...and loved it. Drove a fit too, which appeals, but the jeep really hits the cool factor for us.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #57
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
Just drove a 2wd patriot... ...and loved it. Drove a fit too, which appeals, but the jeep really hits the cool factor for us.
Not much cool factor in a Fit
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #58
XPADREX
Funslinger

Tune in Tuesday.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #59
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Are you buying one on Tuesday? Friend of mine at work bought one a few days ago and I had a chance to crawl through it - but still no test drive. His is a manual and he says the transmission is buzzy in fourth. The interior is much nicer than a new Ford Escape that I looked at recently. The rear seats on the Jeep fold down without having to remove the headrests or move the bottom cushions - a major minus on the Ford. The centre dash on the Escape is also very cluttered and cheaper in finish than the Patriot and the Patriot is no top end model. I'm sitting back trying to figure out what is coming out with the 2011's - waiting to see what's being offered.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 AM   #60
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

The 2011 models are supposed to have new, nicer and more refined interiors. They can hardly get cheaper, though my 08 is plenty comfortable, the huge expanse of plastic makes it look cheap.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: