User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:46 AM   #61
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
The 2011 models are supposed to have new, nicer and more refined interiors. They can hardly get cheaper, though my 08 is plenty comfortable, the huge expanse of plastic makes it look cheap.

Jim [/quote]

I never heard about the interior improvements on the 2011's - I might just wait to see what they're like. The Escape insides didn't turn me on, especially the rear seat setup. I was leaning toward the Ford because of the Mazda running gear (engine & transmission) but some folk on this forum claim that the six speeds automatics don't last that long. Another thing in this age of 0 percent financing - Ford Canada is charging somewhere in the realm of 6.9 percent, whereas Chrysler will do 0 percent for 3 years.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #62
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
My Girlfriend bought the first Compass that landed in Saskatchewan, a 2007 model. She's got 120 000+km on it now.
She's a Geologist in the oil patch so the car sees plenty of gravel and a fair amount of ugly lease roads.
So far she's only had to replace tires and tie rods. She likes the car, but mostly because of the way it looks.
The cold hard truth. A Compass is perfect for someone who lives an Urban lifestyle. It gives you extra traction with the "4wd" engaged, but it's really no better than any other front wheel drive car.
-The CVT makes it impossible to rock the car if you get stuck.
-Mileage is not great. High 20's is all you can expect.
- The windshield pillar's are horrible blindspots. You can literally lose a car in them.
- The engine stalls on occasion, and once went to full throttle after starting, until stopped.
- The car is designed around the dealership doing maintenance. i.e. the transmission requires special tools for fluid changes.
- The ESP (electronic stability program) can make you Sea Sick in the winter. It is constantly making corrections to the car and actually makes the tail wag..... it's hard to explain but it's brutal. We drive with it off in the winter time.
I think if we didn't live in rural Saskatchewan we'd like the car more. It simply is not robust or powerful enough. The track of the car is too narrow for gravel roads, and the clearance is not adequate for us.
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #63
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of my concerns is the powertrain unsuitability to mountainous terrain - a gutless 2.4 with a CVT doesn't sound like a good ski hill vehicle. Death Dealer - you being from that flat province to the east of me - have given me more mixed feelings about this vehicle choice. Good to hear that she hasn't had many problems in the time she has owned the vehicle.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #64
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
One of my concerns is the powertrain unsuitability to mountainous terrain - a gutless 2.4 with a CVT doesn't sound like a good ski hill vehicle. Death Dealer - you being from that flat province to the east of me - have given me more mixed feelings about this vehicle choice. Good to hear that she hasn't had many problems in the time she has owned the vehicle.
I've taken mine into the mountains of WV in a snowstorm, FWD only, and it has plenty of grunt, and is very tractable. It is only a 2.0, so I would suspect a 2.4 would be better, especially with AWD.

Blackwater Falls, about 120 miles from DC, during a fairly heavy snow.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #65
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jim - you're not making this easy for me.....
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #66
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Jim - you're not making this easy for me.....
Sorry, but I was pretty surprised that my car did so well. No anti-slip technology, just a simple CVT front drive suspension on a relatively low HP car.

I'm pretty convinced it is a reasonable all weather car. You should check out this forum for more info: http://caliberforumz.com/

Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #67
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've checked out that forum awhile ago - some folk swear by them - others not so much. I'm curious as to what is coming down for the next model years for all the manufacturer offerings. The 2011 Escape is being replaced with a Euro design in early 2012 - which sounds to be an improvement. Thankfully the old Dodge we use is still doing good service and I'm not under the gun to buy something right away.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #68
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

The Jeep Wrangler is an all around better vehicle, but that is from the point of view of someone who wants a durable vehicle with clearance that is easy to service at home.
The Compass is "Cuter".
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #69
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer
The Jeep Wrangler is an all around better vehicle, but that is from the point of view of someone who wants a durable vehicle with clearance that is easy to service at home.
The Compass is "Cuter".
Totally different vehicle. Cost, capability, comfort, fuel mileage, all kinds of reasons that is apples to oranges.

Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #70
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
ONe of my buddies got a Patriot with the cash for clunkers thing last year... $24k sticker got it for $15k... seems to work as a great cheap commuter and he got the lifetime powertrain guarantee with it...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #71
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Totally different vehicle. Cost, capability, comfort, fuel mileage, all kinds of reasons that is apples to oranges.

Jim
Actually the price is within a few thousand of one another. The Wrangler is far more capable in all aspects. Comfort wise again the Wrangler is superior (more interior room). Real world fuel mileage, the wrangler is going to get low to mid 20's whereas the compass get's high 20's to low 30's.
But the original poster stated his wife likes the looks of the Compass, so I'm guessing she'll wind up with a Compass.
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #72
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

OP here. Compass has been ruled out because of the rear visibility issues - you reminded me of them in your earlier post. She actually prefers the Patriot over the Compass looks wise. Supposedly the Compass tail gate lifts higher than the Patriot - which would be a plus. The Wrangler is not in the cards because of the vehicle size - a compact SUV with FWD, auto transmission and good pep is in the sights for her because it would mirror the size of her present compact size vehicle. I mostly want the SUV because of the higher seating position for the Son & Her to negotiate traffic from - something I've come to appreciate in my Caravan.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #73
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
One of my concerns is the powertrain unsuitability to mountainous terrain - a gutless 2.4 with a CVT doesn't sound like a good ski hill vehicle.
I've been biting my tongue up till now, but I spent many a winter running up and down the GVRD area ski hills including Mt. Baker in an asthmatic, non-turbo 1.6l VW Golf with a whopping claimed 54 hp loaded up with beer, gear and as many people as we could cram in without any problems.

She'll be ok with any modern drivetrain, 4 cyl or otherwise, trust me. Or of you want domestic tranquility send her over and I'll tell her

Did you go back and test drive a Ford Fusion yet? It's probably the best bang for your buck and close to what she has now, and they really haven't changed that much so the used ones are a relative bargain.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #74
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wondered when you would chime in... No, she has her heart set on a compact SUV, if it's set on anything at all. Problem is she has been burning up the mountain passes this last month in the Dodge and she is still in love with it. The longer the money stays in the bank, the happier I am.

I thought you hated CVTs? You were one of the first people who pronounced your dislike for them on this forum, if my memmory serves me right - and the reason I view them with suspicion. Having wandered around more than a few dealers this last little while, I have a nagging sense that things aren't great out there and better deals might be coming in the next few months. I've been focusing on sticking the engine in my GS - which is almost done - instead of car hunting. The rainy weather today has me back on the car hunt temporarily. It must be frustrating to watch me meander from one car type to another in my slow hunt, but when I make the decision I jump right in. It took me a year to decide on my '07 Caravan and 5 minutes to buy one....
Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #75
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Trigger pulled last night. We're Jeepin'.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: