Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #91
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan16
Wifey came home tonight with a new Patriot (6k miles) to drive while they fix her company car. We'll have it for week. First drive, I was pleasantly surprised.
Will report more over the next few days.
First note: it appears to be an automatic, NOT a CVT. Will know tomorrow.
Auto/manual shifting seemed to work well. Could be just a very clever computer, but in a 7 minute drive it acted like a real automatic.
I don't think there is a "normal" automatic option. It's the CVT disguised as an automatic. ;)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #92
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,891
It's CVT, dawg. Prepare to be assimilated.

ps. Someone was nice enough to actually bump our new one today while my wife was at the mall. slight, minor divot and removable blue color.

Grrr. Can I at least make the FIRST payment?
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #93
allan16
Damn Kids;Git Off My Lawn

Oddometer: 15,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX
It's CVT, dawg. Prepare to be assimilated.

ps. Someone was nice enough to actually bump our new one today while my wife was at the mall. slight, minor divot and removable blue color.

Grrr. Can I at least make the FIRST payment?

That soooo sucks !!!

And further examination this AM confirms my error. It is CVT, but the auto-stick feature is still pretty impressive. The "shifts" are a bit slow but more than acceptable. The feature allows the car to be driven around like a stick but still have A/T, sorry, CVT, qualities on the highway.
We're in semi rural New England. Having a manual or a good functioning auto-stick is a good idea. Winding, old, roads with zero room between you and the trees/rocks means ya gotta keep yer car in 3rd or 4th and use engine braking to keep the speed reasonable. So far, the Jeep CVT is doing a good job at this.

More later....where's my coffee cup...?

10 years of tax cuts; 10 years of war
and the GOP/Teandrathals want the old, the poor and the sick to pay for it
allan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #94
XPADREX
Funslinger

I hope you like it- I think it's truly a rare gem- thoroughly funky.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #95
allan16

OK, just returned from an 1 1/2 hour, errand running drive.

There's lots to like about the little car.

Boxy. Clear tribute to the old Cherokee. Maybe a bit to much, but it works for me. Fit looks good. All the panels and assorted stuff fit well...gaps even and not excessive. Nothing falling off or hanging out. Nicely trimmed out
Engine compartment neat and tidy and quite roomy. Looks like it would be easy to work on.

Compact dimensions. Appears to be slightly smaller than my Element: not quite as long or wide, and much shorter. Entry is almost car like. Closer to a Ford 500 (Taurus) than an SUV.
Interior is nicely laid out. Very simple, all the controls and switches easy to reach and very intuitive. Gauges are simple and easy to read. Steering wheel is height adjustable only. Radio works only OK. Sound is fine, but reception is a bit lacking. Maybe the upgraded one is better. Switches and controls have a good feel. Not MB like but certainly not cheesy. Particularly like the almost silent side view mirror motors. Heat and A/C motor seems noisy...or there was an associated vibration in the dash.
A/C worked well. Cooled the car quickly and then kept it cool with a low fan setting.
A goodly number of cubbies and storage areas to loose stuff.
First impressions of seats were too soft and too low. After a few miles they became quite agreeable. Seating position is good. Visibility all around quite good. I wish the seats had a height adjustment and lumbar adjustment, but overall, I could live with the setup.
Back seat is a bit odd. It's pretty much a flat plank. I found the seat bottoms too short, but wifey thought it was ok. It's the price for having the fold flat back seats. Jeep might have come up with a more elegant solution, but not for this price.
Also, entering the back is a bit odd. There is a significant step down from the sill to the floor. Kind of like stepping over the frame rails in an older Jeep. Results in a 4-" deep footwell. Nothing to worry about, just unexpected. And...I guess it sound be taken into consideration for snowy weather..rubber floor mats a must. OTOH....when shopping, anything you put in the back footwells, STAYS there....noting will roll around the floor
The other issue in the back seat cup holders. A big 'ol double holder on the floor between the two outer seats. It doesn't fold up or disappear. It's there. Effectively makes this a four seater. There may be a seat belt and room for a center passenger, but they'd have to remove their legs first.

It's a very nice wee car to drive. The CVT takes some getting used to but it's really no big deal. The added feature of the auto-stick function works very, very well. I noted before the shifts seem slow, but that was at low speed around the 'hood. At speed, on the road, the upshifts and downshifts are quick and positive. Not jerky or jarring, but very assertive, and much faster you could do it your self. Did I mention it's a 6-speed ! Lots of fun. Leaving it in "D" gives you the basic A/T experience. A bit different to drive, but nothing that can't be adapted to very quickly.
Engine has more than adequate power. It's not a spotlight racer, but will get you there and back quite smartly.
Ride quality is very good. Firm but not harsh. Basic bumps, road irregularities, small pot holes, etc are soaked up without notice. For such a short wheelbase car and low price, it's very impressive. There is a moderate amount of wind noise from either the A pillar , the mirrors or both. It is not intrusive and does not seem to increase from 50 to 70. You're bound to get some noise. The Patriot isn't excessive and would be easy to live with. Road noise is, again, very impressive. The chassis soaks it up and takes it away. The tires are bit noisy, but they're OEM tires and can be replaced easily.
Road manners are very good. Steering is very nicely weighted. Turn in and handling are predictable and firm. Brakes are very good. Through the twisties it isn't a Miata but certainly holds it own and will give the driver confidence.
One note abound the ride and handling. A few weeks ago I came very close to buying a new VW Jetta TDI or CC. The dealer started playing games and I walked. I wasn't too unhappy because I had been put off by the lack of road feel from either car. As a long time owner of German cars I was very disappointed with the latest VW's . This little Jeep, however, manages to give you a firm, confident, quiet ride and still maintains a great attachment to the road.
The rear compartment is good sized but a bit high. The lift over might be an issue for some, but its still a good sized hole to throw stuff.

A note about the interior. A lot of criticism has been heaped on the Jeep for it's "plasticy" interior. Yes, it's plasticy. So is virtually every other car between $10k and $24k. Hondas, (my Element is WAYYY plasticy), Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, you name it, the use of soft-touch materials are saved for higher end cars for the most part. VW and Ford are using soft touch stuff from the eye line up which helps, but for the most part, it is what it is. Jeep can't be faulted for using the same money saving techniques. We'd all like to see higher quality materials in the interiors, but this is what it is now. Jeep shouldn't be criticized for this. If, in 2 years, everyone else has gone full soft touch and Jeep hasn't, then thy should be hammered. Right now, it's a pretty slim excuse to beat up on the car.

Overall, this is a fine car. At the price point $16k entry to $25K with all the bells and off road whistles, it's pretty impressive. Perhaps at the higher priced levels it may have stiffer competition, but if someone is looking at $16-$21, retail, this is definately a contender (considering a $16-$21k retail could probably be had for $14k-$19k)

But some of the "other" stuff....

No seat back pockets

Rear cup holders...really ? This the best they could do ?

Would like to see more 12v outlets, in front, back, and luggage areas

Front seat height and lumbar adjustment

Steering in/out adjustment

Finish quality....Orange peel ? on a new car ???

Minor stuff ? You Bet.
Jeep/Chrysler/MB/Fiat whoever, put together a pretty nice little package.

Now, if it only came in a diesel....

(xpadrex...think yous gots a nice ride there !)

------------

Additional note 1...when wifey's company sled crapped out the first time, she got a Ram Dakota 4x4 Crew Cab ! Hot Damn...I was ready to do some truck kinda work !
VERY disappointed. The best part was the bed of the truck. There isn't enough bandwidth to tell you how poor the design and quality of this thing was.
So when said she was coming home with another Chrysler product....well, lets just say my expectations weren't very high.
Pleasantly surprised.

Additional note 2...wifeys company car is a Saturn Hybred SUV. Previous company ride was Buick SUV of similar size. We both agree this little Jeep is a nicer, more comfortable car to drive

allan16 screwed with this post 09-04-2010 at 04:49 PM
Old 09-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #96
XPADREX
Funslinger

That was an exceptionally thorough and accurate review! The Latitude package remedies some, but not all, off the issues raised. Our driver's seat is height adjustable, which is a hoot... taking you from captains chair lite at the top, to gangsta low at the bottom.it also has two power sources, a 12volt, and a 110 wall charger type.

No, I think you judged it well, especially considering the price and purpose of the PAtriot. See you soon on jeeppatriot.com. :)
Old 09-05-2010, 02:24 AM   #97
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,569
My experience as a passenger in one last year was that it is a nice car, but are head gaskets still issues for chrysler I-4's?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #98
XPADREX
Funslinger

This is the collaborative "world engine", and I haven't read about any chronic issues with it. A friend who is a tech at a jeep shop says it has been a good one.@@
Old 09-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #99
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
allan 16 - you should publish your review, I found it the most helpful one I've read yeat. I am definitely going to give the Patriot a closer look at after reading all the satisfied reports posted here. I agree, the fit and finish is good for a vehicle of this price range.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #100
allan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
allan 16 - you should publish your review, I found it the most helpful one I've read yeat. I am definitely going to give the Patriot a closer look at after reading all the satisfied reports posted here. I agree, the fit and finish is good for a vehicle of this price range.
Thanks jack

I've been in the foreign car biz my whole life. Had more cars than I care to admit to. So many of the high end cars, while great fun to drive and really magic, are so very impractical these days. I mean,where can you really use a 160 mph Honda ? Do you really need a 270hp Accord ?
Saw a new Acura crossover, the ZDX, on display....it was $57,000 ! Excuse me ? I can buy a rusted out Pacer if I wanted that much ugly in my driveway.
It seems we've just gotten so off track with cars and SUVs due to easy credit and leasing deals that we've forgotten what a car is.
Except in the low range.
The $15k-$24k is my favorite.
There are sooo many cool cars in that range. Pretty much all of them have issues with quality of trim, but lots have very cool technical features. Even the Diesel Jetta wagon I drove (but didn't buy) was pretty sweet...for $24.5.
Looking around, there are so many choices...VW, Mazda, Subaru, Kia, Hyunda (sp?), Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, that I hadn't thought about the Jeep. When it arrived home I was impressed with the overall package and looked into the cost...very surprised. Then found this thread and thought it would be a good idea to put it through its paces and see how it performed.
It may not fill the bill for everyone, but in this price range I wouldn't hesitate sending someone off to take a serious look.

My next favorite car line is the low end. With the new Fiesta (which does push the limits of the pricing I know), the new Mazda 2, upcoming Fiat 500 (probably Jan/Feb 2011) and the existing line of mini cars and cubes from Yaris, Scion, Nissan, Kia, etc. there are just soo many choices for good, practical, fun cars.
Can't get the leather, nav system, multiple video displays, ear shattering stereo ? Geez, for the price, you can buy the car and get all that stuff installed, aftermarket, to YOUR specifications !

Sorry...rant over.

Oh, and if you didn't know about it, www.kbb.com is a good place for the facts on lots of cars.

allan16 screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 03:40 PM
Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #101
XPADREX
Funslinger

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...&mid=2&id=9944

Jeep Patriot 57% increase in august versus last year. Funny to me, because I hadn't even heard of it until right before my first post in this thread.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #102
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody know about any of the product changes to the 2011 Patriot or are they staying the same?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #103
XPADREX
Funslinger

Anticipate some mild interior upgrades, from what I've seen and read on jeeppatriot.com (Great forum, BTW)

They are not expecting the "air" (new world engine) for 2011.

My thought was that they couldn't change enough to justify not taking advantage of either the rebate (if you are buying outright), or in my case, the 1.9% financing (we financed) plus the discounts on the leftover models.

BTW, I gotta ask- is your handle pronounced (Jack DEE), or (JACKED)?

I've been in my head saying that latter, and it friggin' rules.

Get the Patriot. It's pretty damn cool. Sadly, my F650GS won't fit in the back*.

*Reference to my Transit Connect thread, which has long been taken over by squatters and become part of the freeverse universe. )
Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #104
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

They are not expecting the "air" (new world engine) for 2011.

BTW, I gotta ask- is your handle pronounced (Jack DEE), or (JACKED)?

What is the "new world engine"? I'd be glad if they put the old slant 6 in there.... Go with the former not the latter.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #105
XPADREX
Funslinger

It a redo of the current gen World Engine (as it is called, a collaborative effort between rival auto manufacturers). It will, allegedly, have a boost in power and mpg.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: