User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #106
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Tonight, I asked my wife how the mileage has been. She said "why don't you fill it up and find out?"

SO I did...

25 mpg. Only 1300 miles on the clock.

I'm not disappointed at all!
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #107
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
Not bad mileage. Still haven't got around to getting to the car lots - been trying out the new engine in my GS, in the last few days of good summer weather. I bought a copy of Consumer Reports and they don't give the Patriot much of a good rating - though they don't really say anything negative about it. The Ford Escape does get a recommended rating after all these years of basicly the same design. I'm hoping to see some of the newer offerings from everyone in the next few weeks as the fall line-up comes out.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #108
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, it's raining today so I did the rounds of the car dealers. I finally took a spin in a 2.4L CVT equipped Patriot and was pleasantly surprised. Maybe my sedate driving style meshes with the design but there was no major engine wind-up as I put the gas to it. I liked the price most of all and the fact that I could get a bare bones model, which is what the spouse wants. I then tried out both a 3.0L & a 2.5L Escape with automatics - the former has enough power to climb a wall and the latter is just fine for our needs. Where Ford lost me was the 'packages' they make you buy to get the automatics and the design of the fold down rear seats which is ancient. For the price of a Ford, I could almost get a RAV4 or a Rogue. Probably going to settle on the Patriot.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #109
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I talked to a Nissan dealer earlier in the week about their Rogues and was surprised to hear about their wonderful new transmission warranty - 10 year and 200,000 Kms. up here in Canada - 200,000 miles down in the States. I asked the sales guy why and he didn't seem to know the answer. Well by reading the online Nissan chatter about CVT troubles, I already knew why Nissan is on the defense.

So.... today I went out to try the RAV4 - a base model, 2.5 Litre, 4 speed auto transmission, easy folding rear seats, A/C, cruise, good visibility, nice ride, 4 wheel disc brakes - and the engine doesn't sound like a nest of hornets when you boot it. It has everyone else beat hands down and it even fits the wife's skis on the inside. And it costs less than the Ford/Mazda as well. Hope to finalize a purchase in the next couple of days.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #110
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
They seem to be good vehicles, sister in law has one, no troubles.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #111
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
200,000 Kms. up here in Canada - 200,000 miles down in the States. .
That's screwed up..., I'd hold out for the 200,000 nautical mile warranty.
AkBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #112
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Rented a Rav 4 in northern Cali and a Dodge Caliber in Key West.

Don't know how the Caliber compares with the Compass but the Rav 4 was much nicer than the Caliber.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #113
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty
Rented a Rav 4 in northern Cali and a Dodge Caliber in Key West.

Don't know how the Caliber compares with the Compass but the Rav 4 was much nicer than the Caliber.
The RAV4 is a better vehicle on all fronts in my comparison with the Ford/Mazda/Jeep products - and cheaper than the first two vehicles. What really impressed me was the treatment I received from the dealer - Destination Toyota in Burnaby, B.C. I was ready to do the usual routine of negotiation as I had been doing at other dealers - including one other Toyota dealer yesterday, when I decided to phone these guys. Class act all around and I am a skeptic on most fronts who is now pinching my ass as to what just happened. They found areas of money saving, threw in extras, gave me a trade in allowance on my old Dodge and sent me on my way. And these guys are not starving - the place was crawling with customers who were taking advantage of last minute 2010 Toyota deals. I thought Toyota was out of my league in the way of cost and features but they were the best deal in the end. I am no longer a Chrysler man after 32 years.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #114
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
And these guys are not starving
They were all summer with the "unintended acceleration" stories saturating the news.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #115
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had a sense that they had a rather lean summer - business was down 1/3 - 1/2 by their telling and Vancouver is still seemingly doing quite well economically. Maybe that was why I got the silk glove treatment when my Wife & I came through. No one even questioned why I was packing a single snow ski in my hand as we walked in.... My Wife's main requirement was the ability to throw her snow ski into the back, when the seats were folded down - the RAV4 passed the test. She actually liked the feel of the vehicle and visibility in all directions. The Ford Escape has 3 headrests in the rear that really block rear visibility - amazing how bad it was. All set in this household for another 8 years....
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #116
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Nice ride! Go pick up some snowies for it in Bellingham and you're good to go for the winter. Supposed to be cold and snowy this winter.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #117
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

You came and looked at it did ya? See I'm not such a dumb cheap bugger after all.... My wife is somewhat uneasy about driving it right now - after driving a succession of simple Chrysler products over her last 25 years with me. I had to explain to her how to use the key fob and a few of the other gadgets. My worry is that she will mistake the windshield wiper stalk on the column for the shifter - which is now in the floor console - and rip it out. This Toyota is taking some getting used to.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #118
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

More suprised that you pulled the trigger as fast as you did. I was expecting another 6 months of tire kicking before you'd get her into something
Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #119
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Congrats, jackd.

Btw, most recent mpg from wife's driving in the patriot: 28! I'm stoked.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #120
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the congrats. The RAV4 was discounted under the sales event Toyota is throwing to clear out their 2010's - something to the tune of $22,750. The Patriot I was looking at was probably going to go for possibly $18,500 - I'm guessing here. The Ford Escape was going for $23,750 with heavy discounts from a list price of $26,500. These are the prices you pay in Canada - which is higher than in the States. I decided to pay a little more to get quality. Every RAV4 built for the North American market is manufactured in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada - another reason I went that way. According to the sales guy, the price on RAV4's dropped by 3.5 grand when they started to build them over here and the quality rating is higher. Time will tell if that is the case. I have always been uneasy about Toyota after seeing them rust out quicker than anything around them back in the '80s/'90s. Now I can get back to my Beemer.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: