ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #76
teamchaos
That should work!!

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel
Good , now I'm really off the hook. rj
Only if you are OK with not fulfilling a promise.

My ride reports:
Troy, OR
Glacier National Park
Dayton, WA
teamchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #77
JeffPrice
Primitive CoDriver

Oddometer: 113
Suggestion?

Thought I'd throw an idea out for you Walla Walla area folks - hopefully you have seen this post - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600458 - about the Wild West Rally. Perhaps a weekend ride to go and spectate and learn more about Rally Moto in your area would be a good weekend jaunt? Perhaps even sign up and volunteer to marshal a corner or two - best viewing and you get to ride the stage roads to see what they are really like.

Weekend of September 25-26 - camping at the fairgrounds or city park; local watering hole in Pomeroy. Other crazy DS riders to meet and talk racing with. Just up the 12 from you!

Better yet - enter - and see if you know the 'local' roads better than the guys coming across the state! Ask questions here or the other post if you're interested.

If you woke up this morning, it is because Jack Bauer spared your life.

get-primitive
JeffPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #78
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
I may not make it tonight. I have an appointment at Tom's tomorrow to put a new rear tire on the V-Star and need to take the trailer hitch off, which means also taking off the bags.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #79
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 282
Me neither, work has me in a tizzy so I've been putting in the midnight hours to get things done this month. rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #80
teamchaos
That should work!!

RJ

Have you heard from "wild man" Nortini?

My ride reports:
Troy, OR
Glacier National Park
Dayton, WA
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #81
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

GreatNortoni Texted me last night. He's down in the SW corner of Oregon. Said it was foggy on the coast. He was going to head inland over some mountains. Visibility wasn't to good in the fog.
Dang ,thats a better ride report then my (lack of) Stevenson Rally one. rj
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #82
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel
GreatNortoni Texted me last night. He's down in the SW corner of Oregon. Said it was foggy on the coast. He was going to head inland over some mountains. Visibility wasn't to good in the fog.
Dang ,thats a better ride report then my (lack of) Stevenson Rally one. rj
I wanted to ride the Lost Coast last summer and it was totally fogged in. If you don't like fog, this is a bad time of the year to be on the CA/OR coast.

Smithee screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 10:42 AM
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #83
teamchaos
That should work!!

I'm leaving in the morning and don't have to be back until Wednesday night. My biggest decision is what direction will I go.

Any suggestions?

My ride reports:
Troy, OR
Glacier National Park
Dayton, WA
Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #84
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Don't know why but Tierra del Fuego comes to mind . What bike you taking? If your tired of the hot dusty WW weather the coast would temp me or higher up in some cool mountains. San Juan Islands, Vancouver Island, Snoqualmie Pass, Mt Rainier area.
If you feel really desprite , Sturgis is still going on through the weekend. Iron Butt it.
I'm going to ride my Versys over to Tri-Cities tomorrow for a 12:30 eye glass appointment at the mall. That would get you out of town and a meal at Famous Daves BBQ with me. Then you can take off from there on a world wind adventure somewhere.
"Oh the travail" 5 days to ride, where to go and what to do?
rj
Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #85
teamchaos
That should work!!

Thanks for the invite RJ. It is my hope to be a little further than the Tri-Cities by 12:30 tomorrow.

I was thinking about Vegas or Phoenix but that may be a little on the warm side. I could iron butte my way to Alaska. I've heard that is up north somewhere.

My ride reports:
Troy, OR
Glacier National Park
Dayton, WA
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #86
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamchaos
Thanks for the invite RJ. It is my hope to be a little further than the Tri-Cities by 12:30 tomorrow.

I was thinking about Vegas or Phoenix but that may be a little on the warm side. I could iron butte my way to Alaska. I've heard that is up north somewhere.
If me, I think I'd head up to Canuky Land somewhere. Nelson, BC Rte. 6. Naksup. Up that way, y'kno, eh?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #87
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Tour of the vast waste land

Well; I finished my trip around what my lady friend calls the "vast waste lands" of Oregon.
This is as close to a RR that I am goiing to get so; (there will be NO pictures).
I started out behind, a whole day behind in fact. Intending to leave on Sunday and meander my way across Oregon toward the coast was the orginal "plan" if I can call it a plan. I didn't really have one, but sisnce I am starting out on Monday I decided to zip down the gorge on the Washington side - in the WIND! When I rolled into The Dalles for fuel the pump read the same amount that my owners manual says is my tank capacity!
I decided to stop in at the Honda/Suzuki/Beta m/c shop in The Dalles. I was curious if the had any of the trials models in stock so I could have a look see. No such luck. The man said that they were also a Gas Gas dealer but they don't sell many trials bikes.
I asked if he know of some interesting roads over the mountain towards the SW? Indeed he did. With a hand drawn and nearly indistuingishable hand written map, I was off over the mountains just south of Mt. Hood.
The road turned to gravel, after several miles it suddenly turned into new beautiful black top only to turn to old crap blacktop a half mile later. Into Govt. Camp for fuel. The guy at the cycle shop also told me to take the "Skyline Drive" out side of Govt. Camp. I did and it too was a nice road over the mountain range. Into Detroit for fuel.
I had intended to stop in to see some folks in the Albany, Philomath areas but I got into Albany too late to see anyone at Mr. Ed's Moto since they would certainly be closed.
I had intended on doing a lot of camping on this trip, but since it was late I decided to stay at this fleabag motel in Albany.
The next day was very overcast and I thought for sure I was going to get sprinkled on but that didn't happen. I pulled into Jonas' shop, Independant Motorcycle repair (one of the places I intended to stop the day before) in Philomath. We had a nice talk but I needed to get going.
I passed through Alsea, I have friends there also but they were celebrating their wedding aniversary and were out of town so I motored on Hwy 34 toward the coast. Along the way the sun came out strong and plenty, it was a great ride down 101 toward my destination of Bandon, OR. I am glad that I got to see the sunset that day because the fog came in thick and heavy. After two days in Bandon at a decent motel/resort, the fog finally lifted enough that I felt comfortable enough to head out.
Since I was so far south I decided to stop by Hansens BMW to see if they got the parts I had ordered over a week before and since I hadn't heard anything I figured I could just pick them up, well no parts!
Now I am far enough south that I might as well stop in to see my sister in Ashland. This is a bit awkward since I will be heading right back down there to see here again in a week or so, maybe I'll check and see if the parts had finally arrived on my second trip?
I had intended to go to the Oregon BMW club campout up in the Ochocos theat weekend, but I was going to head up through Bend and look up some friends along the way. I instead called my friend in Klamath Falls, Jim Stewart to inquire if he too was going to the campout. Indeed he was. In fact he was looking at maps to his route to the campout when I called. He invited me to come onver there on Friday and stay the evening then we could head out Saturday morning for the Ochocos, over the green springs toward K Falls I go.
Jim's Wife Laura opted for a pizza for dinner since their refridgerator was purposly near empty since they were going to leave for a five week m/c trip around Europe in a couple of days Lucky ducks.
The next morning started out with grand intentions of traveling through tree lined lanes to keep out of the sun, with ample twist and turns but; Jim had a small mishap. Riding his new 800 BMW, he turned a RH corner (nice and slow mind you), the rear wheel slipped out to the left then caught and high sided him. This was really weird, happening right in front of me I can hardly believe what I was watching - it didn't make sense, but down he was. Jim was fine and the bike was mostly OK also, a broken shift lever meant that we had to head back to his house to get his other bike.
Well this changed things a bit. Now we were off on the east side of the Klamath lake and headed toward Crater Lake, then to Steamboat for a nice lunch and to Oakridge to ride the Aufderheide Dr, over the Makenzie Pass and into Sisters for gas. Straight across to Redmond then Prineville and to the Ochocos for the campout.
The next morning I found myself retracing my ride home from the BMW national rally in Redmond. Straight east to Mitchell, Dayville and into Mt. Vernon. The new cafe in Dayville was now open but I wanted to get further down the road before I stopped. Into Pilot Rock for fuel and a stop for lunch at the Char Burger in Pendleton for a mushroom burger. Home by early afternoon.
Nearly 2000 miles and some time to get away and think and enjoy the bike, the roads and friends and get a new rear tire.
greatnortoni

greatnortoni screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 10:21 PM
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #88
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Thursday night get-together

Anyone up for a meet & greet this Thursday?
Someone pick a time/spot and we can do thid again.
waddayathink????????
greatnortoni
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #89
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatnortoni
Anyone up for a meet & greet this Thursday?
Someone pick a time/spot and we can do thid again.
waddayathink????????
greatnortoni
Dan, I can't make it. Headed out Thursday afternoon to a motorcycle campout at Starkey Station (Just down the road on Grande Ronde River Road, off OR 244 (the Hilgard/Ukiah highway). It's dubbed the Starkey Victory Campout. Mostly Victories but anyone welcome. Anyone wants to stop by, camp, whatever, would be welcomed with open arms. Good crew of people and lots of good DS roads in the area. Probably doing a run over to Joseph on Saturday for the Bronze Bike Rally.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #90
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Smithee, did you get your carbs sorted out finally? rj