User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Day 5 & 6 - Righteous Places and Good People

My mom always said that my dad was happiest when he was travelling.

I get it.

When I'm on the road, with all of my responsibilities left behind, I'm open to all that the world as to offer. And, so much of it is good. Good people. Good food. Incredible scenery.

Day 5 was a layover day with BIL and his boys. BIL's wife had to go to work in India (you think you have a bad commute) so the house became Dude Central.

"So, what do you want to do?" said one.
"Huh, I don't know," said the other.
"LET'S GO RIDING," suggested the third.

So, of we went to Leavenworth, WA, a former mill town on the decline that decided to boost its economy by bringing a bit of Bavaria to the shores of Icicle River.

@large and BIL are riding the PNW or the Upper West or _________ later in August. The ride to Leavingworth was to be a "get your feet wet ride" for BIL.

"Hmmm...three different bikes"

You know what that means - time to swap.

It was my first time riding an airhead and it was really fun. The first thing that pleased me was the feeling of each cylinder punching out.

Riding up to Leavenworth without bags gave me the opportunity to ride my bike the way she was meant to be ridden - big sweeping turns at entertaining rates of speed.

Once we got to Leavenworth, we caught, killed, and deep fried a pig.

When we got back to BIL's house (it's nice when the kids are old enough to be left at home for the day, just don't tell their mom), we taught the boys how to lean properly into a turn.

Gotta start 'em young.

DAY 6 - Turning Point

@large leaves his bike with BIL and will return for their ride. I turn around and start my solo ride home.

So much happened on my ride from Carnation, WA, to PDX, and I'll have to tell the story later. It's getting close to 09:00, and I need to hit the road.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
wamba
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thumb Another SC inmate

Thanks for the post. Send me a PM if you're looking for a riding partner in Santa Cruz.

wamba
wamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Day 6 - Living TRIUMPH and PDX

I gotta finish my thought on BIL's boys. They are totally "Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails, and they are totally sweet. I pulled into the drive way and pried off my helmet. Both of them came up to me and gave me big hugs. I couldn't believe it.

Have you seen me? I wouldn't hug me.

So Carnation to PDX was filled with much so I'll let the pics do most of the speaking.

[And the crowd roars]

Casa de Williams

Too cool boys.

Yeii, action photo. Heading home feels very different than heading away.

Redundant pics of Snoqualmie Falls. I took the rainbow as a good sign.

After about 20 minutes on the highway, as I'm making my way up towards Tiger summit, I see a logging truck coming down the hill. It doesn't have a trunk load so it's piggy backing the tail end. I'm about 50 yds away, coming up on a Prius pretty darn fast, and locks it brakes. RRRWWWWW!!! Smoke!!!

"Big green duck!!!" I exclaim, or something like that.

I'm not saying I was in danger or anything, but that driver lost control. The rear end slid out. So I'm thinking to myself, 20 minutes into Lone Wolf mode (@large flew back home, left his bike with BIL, and will fly back up to ride), "Hmmm...Not only was he was my canary in a coal mine, he was my good luck charm."

So, I make my way south and head towards Lakewood Motorcycles for my 18,000 mile service.

This is sitting out front.

Sweet. Officer bike in front, this must be a good place, or they're cooking meth in the back.

It's not a good place. They are not cooking meth.

This place is totally righteous.

If you are within riding distance and need something motocycle, this place is the shizzle (did I use that right?).

Bob's bike. Bob runs Lakewood Motorsports, a Triumph only shop, and his Tiger eats GS's for breakfast.

Bob runs a totally righteous place. I come in that hook me up with their service. The service tech, Lonnie, comes out to meet me. That's really important to me because my life is in his or her hands.

The place is also just a "hang out" for riders. While I was there, I met Rob, an electrical project manager. I asked him about a cool ride from Lakewood to Portland. The shop offers up a computer (iMacs, good sign in my book) and Rob consults The Google.

After about 20 minutes or so, I got a local's route. I feel kinda bad, though. I didn't use it. It would have been a 7 hr ride and starting at 14:00. Next time.

Then, there's Paul. Paul. If you take a Triumph and make it human, you get Paul. He won tons of motorbike races in the early 80's. Now, he teaches young guns the proper line on Daytona 675's.

When I asked him about Triumph's adventure bike, the upcoming F800GS eater, he just smiled. He knows something, but he's not telling.

GO TO LAKEWOOD.

After 3 well spent hours, I was back on my way.

Now, time for The Quest.

I have this silly goal of taking a picture of my and my bike in front of every state capitol. Last year I got 21 (see sig line). On this day, I got Olympia.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

From there, I booked it down 5. Ahh, miles on the Slab. Look at all the trucks. Look at all the drivers that unexpectedly change lanes. Ahh, the Slab.

Four years ago, some friends and I moved a good buddy up to Portland. While I was there a stayed at a hostel on Glisan and around the upper 20s. NorthWestPortland. It was my goal to get there. I don't have GPS. Just spidey-senses.

So, I miss the turn of to 405 (for all you Portlanders, you know this is necessary to get to where I want to go) and take the Broadway Bridge. I'll be across the river and find my way.

What? Bridge closed. Detour?

Whatever.

So, I follow the black text on the orange sign. After crossing, I cruise downtown and head west. Feelings of familiarity bubble. I know I'm heading in the right direction. Without even trying I come across my intended destination.

Glisan and 21st NW

When I'm on the road travelling alone, I am able to open myself to what the world has to offer. First was Nick. He's from Sac. In PDX to get his vocal chords checked-out. He's a singer, and the pipes aren't performing as they should. Hopefully, it'll all be straight soon.

The hostel was full so I shelled out a few more dollars for the Parkview Suites. Staying in the area was quite important to me. I didn't get a suite; it's just me.

Alex. He's got the four one one, yo.

Dinner?

Toshi. He's visiting from Tokyo. I asked him how the food was. His response gave me the green light.

It's like Japanese tapas.

What? You're giving me more? But, I'm just one person.

The final plate. Flavors exploded like a finale of fireworks on the Fourth of July. The salmon was caught locally, of course.

$36? You gotta be kidding me. I left what I felt was appropriate.

The place is run by two people. Chef is from Cleveland and server has a very cool squirrel tattoo. Neither want their picture taken.

These two run a 5 star place. When I sat down, I told the server, "I'm 4 on the 1-5 hungry scale. There's nothing I don't like to eat. Please, hook me up with the best you have to offer."

GO HERE.

From there I did some walking, then got hungry. So, I got a slice at the corner of... wait for it... Glisan and 21st NW.

There, I met Avery and Joseph. Joseph moved from Albany, NY, to run the pizza tavern on NW 21st Ave and Glisan.

This place was good, and we chatted away to last call. I haven't done that in about a decade.

Day 7 started off kinda grey.

Sweet...I'm almost caught up.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 01:06 AM
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #19
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Day 8 Teaser

When I open myself up to what the world has to offer, good things happen.

My helmet fills with thoughts as each mile rolls: Water runs the path of least resistance. I like river roads because I flow like water.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf screwed with this post 07-29-2010 at 02:06 AM
Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 AM   #20
@large
Wheel Man

Oddometer: 5
Sounds like a fun day. I love Portland. Sorry I missed it.
@large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
Tijuana_Taxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Wow nice toy box!! Thanks for the excellent ride report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnsurf

My helmet fills with thoughts as each mile rolls: Water runs the path of least resistance. I like river roads because I flow like water.
Tijuana_Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Back in Black

I'm back home in SC. I'll be finishing the RR over the next couple of days.

You should stay tuned, it has a surprise ending.

Thanks to all that have posted back.

Usually, I spend the first 40 minutes of my day with coffee and adv.

It's important that I give back.

Two fingers, spread apart. Raised high. V for Triumph.

My Triumph wave.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf screwed with this post 07-29-2010 at 11:02 PM
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #23
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Day 8 - The Lone Wolf Rides Again.

Day 7

On the 7th day, he said, "Let their be acts-of-kindness pics.

An inmate in Iceland must have sense my disappointment from the previous days. I got this.

"Only a screenshot I'm afraid," says the photographer.

Only a screenshot. Are you kidding me? I'm just stoked someone helped a brother out.

2nd return.

"I-5 hwy near Cottage Grove OR. My father and I just took a 3000 mile trip on our Harleys. I am always happy to help a fellow rider with any request. I wanted to wave you over and talk with you. See if you needed a place to stay or anything," says the contributor. He's soon to be an inmate. Now, remember this guy. He comes up again later.

Fresh meat.

Sweet...the seal has been broken.

Day 7: The Ride

I was two days away from home and thought I could make a run to Garberville. I wanted to get home, I wanted to stay cool so I needed 101 through California.

"479 mi – about 9 hours 0 mins," said The Google. I decided to go for it.

Once out of the Portland area, the ride was beautiful, smooth, and strangely familiar. There must be something about the gas and/or altitude because my Bonnie loves to run in Oregon. My mind was in the present, studying the herd in front of me. My Bonnie and I constantly positioning to stay in alive.

Rolling towards the capitol.

I have music constantly playing in my helmet. Like Bjork in Dancer in the Dark, I want my world to have a sound track and musical score. As luck would have it, Ripple by the Grateful Dead shuffled in via my iPhone. This song means very much to me. In addition to its 3 big themes of music, giving, and walking your own path, several of my fourth graders and I performed it at my school's talent show.

"If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine..."

One more for the collection.

Of the 23 capitols I've visited, this one is my favorite. It looks bold, steady, strong.

Moving right along...

Sweet... a truck store.

My favorite tractor style. Very Peterbuilt-ish.

The biggest and the baddest on the road.The Coronado. Torque: 2050 lb-ft. My Bonnie, 50 lb-ft.

For more information about the Coronado and the rest Freightliner has to offer, check out http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/tr...odel/coronado/.

Moving right along...

Something started to well up in side of me as the trees, the mountains, and the curves passed.

Past.

I was here when I was young. My folks, my grandma, and I took the conversion van to British Columbia. Every summer we took a road trip. My dad drove, we sang songs. They were really happy times.

Dad.

He died. He died when I was 23. It was sad, but not devastating. We weren't that close. He was closed. I was talking to BIL about him. BIL is the coolest dad, and his boys are great. I told BIL that what makes me most sad about my dad's passing is not being able to connect to him man to man. Father to son didn't really take. But man to man? That would have worked. He would have loved to be here reading these words right now. My mom always says that Dad was happiest when we were on the road. We all were.

I continued south and I felt it. I was riding the same route my dad had driven. I was taking in the same scenery he took in. I was following the same lines through the curves he followed. I was with him. He was with me. Connection. At peace.

As rolled through the city center, an F650 Dakar caught my eye. I looked back and saw its rider suiting up. The looks bad ass. White, blue paint. Red, blue, grey checkered flag across the tank. A fat silver case on either side. I figured I could get a lunch recommendation so I went around the block and parked along side.

Rebecca, the rider, was on her way home. She left Olympia, went down to CA, through Nevada, and now she's on her way back up. Another solo rider. So I asked her if she knew of a good place to eat. She pointed to the thai place right where we were parked.

I had noodles.

To my immediate left.

Too bad I can't stay the night. Sounds like a really good time.

Now, remember the new inmate who took my first on the road action photo? Well, surprisingly, he works just on the other side of that traffic light.

I always love seeing this. It says to me, "So, where do you want to go today?"

2 for me. 1 for her.

I must be in Grants Pass.

The day was getting late. I didn't want to make Garberville, and I didn't want to stay in any of the towns between here and there.

I decided to stay the night in Grants Pass. I knew the town. It was easy.

On the way up, @large and I stayed at The Lodge at riverside. It was such a comfortable experience that I decided to go back for my stay in Grants Pass.

The Lodge at the riverside offers the best: awesome location, very comfortable rooms, and the most welcoming hosts and hostesses.

The comforts of home.

You are correct, hotel manager. I won't steal the hangers.

I settled in, showered up, and got dressed for dinner. I put on my favorite shirt.

This shirt is a conversation starter.

I rode the Bonnie up to G street. Because I was just going four blocks up the street, I dropped that ATTGATT. A warm night is quite rare in Santa Cruz, so riding through the warm evening air felt great.

The craftsmanship of the back bar at The Laughing Clam is incredible.

Three kinds of seafood.

Now, my shirt, it starts conversations with the kind of people I want to talk to. Take the Rapley family for instance. They moved to Grants Pass from the Bay Area in search of a better neighborhood. Dad (Mark) and his son (left) run a motorsports store. The son's name is Dana. His friends call him Jesus. I called him Jesus.

Jesus, Charlene (mom), Mark, J.D. (he walks with Jesus, he's a deputy sheriff)

So, we get to talking and explain what I'm doing on this trip. I explain last year's trip, and we're just talking bikes. Mark tells me that they're going over to the shop, and he invites me over. They do most of their work in the evening. The air temp is cooler, and there are no customers to distract them.

Heck, yeah, I'll go to the shop.

We talk more bike, and I begin to tell him that the Bonnie is turning out to be a very good fit for me as a touring bike. There are a few things that I'll need to improve to make her better, but she's a good fit. We start talking suspension (that's next), and I ask Mark if he thinks if I should start with the front or the rear. I says he doesn't really know, so I give him my key. He'd ride the bike over to the shop, I'd walk with his crew, and we'd hang out.

When I open myself up to the world, good things happen.

The Rapleys have quite the MAN-sion.

After I mopped up all my drool, Mark and I talked about my suspension and suggested that I redo the front with cartridges. He pulled out a catalogue, not 'net, but a catalogue, and in "the old school way" we run our fingers down the page looking for part numbers.

We chat some more, he has to I work, I should go, we chat some more... You know how that goes.

Tomorrow is Day 8. I screwed up the title of this post.

Day 8. The final day.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 08:17 AM
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
jblausey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
What bike is that?

Is that a Harley XA in the shop?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Day 8: Not All Stories Have a Happy Ending

But this one does.

So, it's my last day, and like writing the concluding paragraph of an essay, I start summarizing my experiences.

motorcycles
dads
boys
family

And then it dawns on me as clear, bright, and warm as the morning sun.

I must marry Leah.
I want to be a part of her boys' successes.
I want to be there when they need help.

I must make it home alive. Never have I tried so hard to make it home alive.

Now, if this was a Shakespearean tragedy, a chunk of blue ice would have fallen from the sky, and I would have died a cold, crappy death.

But, I'm no Shakespeare. The story takes on an Arthurian theme: the dark knight must face the perils of the road in order to profess his love to his queen and her two princes.

I made pretty good time by stopping only for gas and one bottle of water.

Home, sweet home.

Mexican food with Leah and the boys was just what I'd been craving.

Two fingers, spread apart. Raised high. V for Triumph.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 11:22 AM
Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

'41 Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblausey
Is that a Harley XA in the shop?
Super cool looking bike. I don't know about riding it. The thing is heavy as a tank, has drum brakes, and the throttle is on the left.

1st Epic Journey

Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Cool TR!

For the Bonnie front suspension you might want to look at the Ricor Intimators. It's the hot upgrade for Bonnie front suspension. You just drop em in, cut the spacer & change the fork oil - ez DIY job & they make a huge difference. Not super cheap. Bunch of threads in the Tech section over at triumphrat.net, eg http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...k-options.html

this is the product page (if you do go this route, try entering "Triumph" in the box just in case that discount still works - unlikely tho) http://store.ricorshocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=44

thistle66 screwed with this post 08-03-2010 at 11:22 AM
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #28
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Front End

Thistle66 - Thanks for the info. I've read a bit about 'em over at rat.net.

I figure if My Bonnie is going to be my touring machine, I'm ready to commit to something bigger than a one size fits all approach.

Again, thanks for thinking of me, and I hope you enjoy the TR.

Teach

1st Epic Journey

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #29
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,856
Excellent ride report teach.
Good read.

I'm off on the Scrambler to chase sunsets...
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #30
teachnsurf OP
Bonnie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Excellent ride report teach.
Good read.

I'm off on the Scrambler to chase sunsets...
I'm glad you came along Your part of the country offers some incredible riding. One could spend months enjoying all the PNW has to offer.

Is it true summer only lasts a week?

1st Epic Journey